HMI Systems Hardware Design Engineer
Employment Type: Salary (Exempt), Full-time, San Diego
As a Systems Hardware Design Engineer, you will be expected to design all hardware aspects of the HMI (Human Machine Interface) for the vehicle from inception to design verification/validation, production and finally to the end users. The HMI Is a complex, electro-mechanical instrument that will be the key sub-system that user will be interacting with and contribute to the customer’s experience. You will work closely with the engineering, manufacturing team, suppliers/vendors to bring the design from prototype to production at a rapid pace.
- Lead the design effort:
- Utilizing 3D CAD tools and 2D sketches to create detailed models and drawings
- Analyze/optimize designs in static and dynamic simulations
- Running thermal analysis to understand design impacts to the system
- Engage and develop partnerships with suppliers
- Generate detailed mechanical, electrical and cabling designs and drawings
- Establish system level architecture and functionality based on market research, design feasibility, and prototyping
- Expected to understand and manage all aspects of the design verification testing, production and usability testing.
- Design test fixtures and quality fixtures for in-house and supplier use.
- Extensive experience with casting, tool design, injection molding, CNC and sheet-metal
- You will work closely with cross functional hardware engineers on exploration and definition of advanced Infotainment systems
- Work hard, exceed expectations, challenge industry conventions, and relentlessly strive to make truly exceptional products
- B.S. or higher in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or equivalent
- B.S. or higher in Mechanical Engineering (Masters preferred)
- 7+ years of experience in a controlled environment – consumer products, medical, automotive or aerospace
- Comprehensive understanding of functional vehicle systems and corresponding design principles
- Strong understanding of engineering principles, mechanics of materials, and ability to think outside of box
- Passion for cutting edge design and innovation
You are expected to
- Stay driven, exceptional, and efficient
- Achieve 30-60-90-day plan
- 30-day target: Ability to perform all duties and responsibilities as a Systems Hardware Design Engineer independently; working knowledge and integration of Aptera’s purpose and culture
- 60-day target: Implementation of knowledge gained in first 30 days to contribute to Aptera’s mission
- 90-day target: Ability to utilize knowledge and experience gained in first 60 days to appropriately and effectively train others and/or lead a team
- Interpret/develop Tolerance Analysis, CAE, DFM, DFMEA, PFMEA simulations/results and integrate feedback into product designs Experience with Jira, JAMA, Confluence or other types of project tracking.
- Experience with LCD displays, PCBA enclosures and handling of electronics in harsh environments.
- Experience with system-level Integration of products using SoCs and micro-controllers, data and video Interfaces such as USB, HDMI, and DisplayPort Is a Plus.
- Familiarity with electro-mechanical systems, programming.
About Aptera Motors
Aptera Motors delivers the world’s most technologically advanced solar electric vehicles (sEVs), made possible by breakthroughs in battery efficiency, aerodynamics, material science, and manufacturing. A lightweight three-wheeler, Aptera is the first in a series of eco-friendly vehicles that will be offered for consumer and commercial use. It has the longest range of any production vehicle with 1,000 miles per charge and the ability to travel up to 40 miles a day on free power from its integrated solar panels. With only six key structural parts, Aptera’s unique body shape allows it to slip through the air using far less energy than other electric and hybrid vehicles on the road today. Learn more and join over 15,000 Aptera reservation holders at www.aptera.us.