Sr. Electrical Engineer, HMI Infotainment
Employment Type: Salary (Exempt) | San Diego (Carlsbad), CA | Engineering | Full-time
Aptera Motors delivers the most technologically advanced solar electric vehicles (sEVs) with breakthroughs in battery efficiency, aerodynamics, material science and manufacturing. The first in a series of eco-friendly vehicles, Aptera has the longest range of any production vehicle with 1,000 miles per charge and the ability to travel up to 40 miles a day on free power from its integrated solar panels. Its unique body shape allows it to slip through the air using far less energy than other electric and hybrid vehicles on the road today.
As a Sr. Electrical Engineer, you will be expected to support the design of all electrical aspects of the human machine Interface (HMI) electronics for the vehicle from inception to design verification/validation, production, and finally to the end users. The HMI Is a complex, electro-mechanical device that will be the key sub-system that the user will be interacting with and contribute to the customer’s experience. You will work closely with the engineering, manufacturing team, suppliers/vendors to bring the design from prototype to production at a rapid pace.
- Lead the electrical hardware design effort:
- Design, simulate, integrate and debug electro-mechanical systems related for HMI electronics.
- Be the primary owner of the electrical design (PCB and schematic) from prototype to production (wiring harnesses included)
- Work closely with cross functional engineers to explore and define advanced infotainment systems.
- Specify requirements and select critical components, which will later be verified and validated through testing
- Establish high level architecture and functionality based on market research, design feasibility and prototyping
- Expected to understand and manage all aspects of the electrical design verification testing, production and usability testing.
- Design support for electrical test fixtures and quality fixtures for in-house and supplier use.
- Work hard, exceed expectations, challenge industry conventions, and relentlessly strive to make truly exceptional products
- Experience with system level integration of products using SoCs and microcontrollers
- You should have deep experience in complex PCBA development
- Experience with high density and high-speed circuit board design and validation
- Possess the necessary skills to go from rapid prototyping to full-scale/automated production
- Demonstrate proven team and person-to-person communication skills
Your skills include
- B.S. or higher in Electrical Engineering (Masters preferred)
- 7+ years of experience in a controlled environment – consumer products, medical, automotive or aerospace
- Comprehensive understanding of functional vehicle systems and corresponding design principles
- Strong understanding of engineering principles, circuit analysis, digital systems, and ability to think outside of the box
- Passion for cutting edge design and innovation
You are expected to
- Stay driven, exceptional, and efficient
- Achieve 30-60-90-day plan
- 30-day target: Ability to perform all duties and responsibilities as a Sr. Electrical Engineer independently; working knowledge and integration of Aptera’s purpose and culture
- 60-day target: Implementation of knowledge gained in first 30 days to contribute to Aptera’s mission
- 90-day target: Ability to utilize knowledge and experience gained in first 60 days to appropriately and effectively train others and/or lead a team
- Experience with developing requirements and specifications and utilizing Jira, Jama and Confluence to support requirement tracing and tracking.
- Low level programming, firmware, drivers
- Experience with system level integration – data, SoCs, micro-controllers, data and display interfaces – USB, LVDS, FPD-Link III, audio
- BGA SoC design with verification and validation experience for production
- Working with suppliers, vendors and contractors to optimize, rapid prototype to full-scale production
- Experience with schematic design capture and PCB layout with Altium
- Design and optimization of high density and high-speed circuit board design
- Understanding of Controller Area Network (CAN) protocols