12 volt electric outlets in Aptera

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions 12 volt electric outlets in Aptera

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions 12 volt electric outlets in Aptera

• 12 volt electric outlets in Aptera

Steve Wanamaker updated 2 weeks ago 19 Members · 32 Posts
  • Robert Keith Harrigan

July 5, 2022 at 10:05 am

I see nothing indicating the that the Aptera will have any 12volt electrical outlets to charge phones or computers. All I see is a small pocket in the front of the center console that could be a wireless charger for one small device. These wireless chargers are slow chargers charging at about 1/2 as fast as wired chargers. So no way to charge more than one small device. No way to charge multiple devices, computers or anything else? Am I missing something?

• kerbe2705

July 5, 2022 at 2:16 pm

@Robert Keith Harrigan Aptera has yet to finalize the interior design of the vehicle: We’ve been promised that a built-out version of the current design will be available later this month (July, 2022).

12V outlets are not common to all vehicles, but USB charging ports are fairly ubiquitous. I suspect that they – like cupholders – will be part of the vehicle.

• Dennis Swaney

July 5, 2022 at 5:34 pm

Every car I’ve owned has had 12VDC outlets (some even did double duty as cigar lighters), but none have USB outlets. In order to get them, I bought cup holder adapters that have 2 12vdc and 2 USB outlets and these plug into the stock 12vdc outlet. Oh, two of my cars had 2 12vdc outlets: one car had 1 in the dash and 1 inside the center console, while the other had the 1 in the dash, and the other outlet in the back by the hatch.

• kerbe2705

July 6, 2022 at 9:48 am

@Dennis Swaney I’ve had three different cars over the past 15 years and all have had USB but only two have had 12V receptacles: My last car had one in the trunk and the current vehicle has one on the rear of the center console.

• Dennis Swaney

July 6, 2022 at 10:36 am

My 2004 Prius was the one with 12vdc outlets in the dash & center console (I plugged an USB adapter in the latter) but no USB at all. My 2005 Jetta Wagon has them in the dash (well, ash tray) and in the back near the hatch. I use the latter to power my 5 wire to 4 wire rear lights convertor for towing. In the front is where I plug in the Wagan cupholder power adapter:

• Bob Kirchner

July 6, 2022 at 5:14 am

USB outlets cannot power a large number of accessories that an owner might want to use. In my case, that would be a portable freezer. My current car has two cigarette lighter style plugs in front, one switched by the ignition switch the other unswitched, and two in the cargo area. I find them to be very useful, and would hope that if Aptera does not include at least one, that they would provide switched and unswitched fused terminals to which we can attach our own wiring for accessories.

• kerbe2705

July 6, 2022 at 9:51 am

@Bob Kirchner I understand your point, Bob, but I was responding to the poster’s question about charging phones, computers, etc. – not about running relatively high-powered devices. Quite a few modern EVs and PHEVs now have standard home-style receptacles – I get the feeling that the days of the 12V “cigar lighter” format are numbered…

• Y Z

July 6, 2022 at 11:17 am

I’d gladly take a standard wall outlet, or even better, both. The amount of space and wiring required for the 12v at least should be minimal

• James Gatan

July 6, 2022 at 11:15 am

You can possibly tap power from the small 12v battery, that runs the auxiliaries, using an inverter. Chris Anthony mentioned this battery, in one of Steve’s (of Aptera Owners Club) interviews. Me, I’d just probably use a portable Jackery.

• John Voules

July 6, 2022 at 2:17 pm

For those seeking outlets + usb ….EGO inverter with battery should supply you with days if not weeks of energy. You can plug a fan or tv to bring with you in your travels and or usb. Also advantage of taking out of your vehicle to use for tailgating or camping. I would not delay my purchase of my vehicle because it’s missing things that are truly unrelated to basic travel itself….inverter under$100- batteries range from $100-250

• Robert Keith Harrigan

July 6, 2022 at 1:21 pm

James if you want to use a Jackery to power your electrical devices in your Aptera won’t you need a way to charge the Jackery on your road trip in your Aptera? This subject of electrical outlets (USB or 12 VDC Cigarette style outlet has not been mentioned or discussed that I have seen.

I want to know is there is going to be multiple USB (A & C) and 12 VDC cigarette lighter style outlets in the Aptera or not? I am more concerned with functionality than looks

• James Gatan

July 6, 2022 at 5:27 pm

Robert, the Jackery would be pre charged prior to the trip. Worse case, the Jackery can even be plugged with the 100W SolarSaga panels if the thing runs out of juice. I do that on one of my power banks for my phone. It comes with an optional foldable solar panels. Quite nifty to use.

• Ray Holan

July 8, 2022 at 6:48 am

James, I’ve had a Jackery Explorer 1000 (1kWh battery and 800w inverter for 110v) for about a year. It charges with portable panels very nicely as you’ve mentioned and has given me good service so far. Bluetti is another brand that is popular. They have a new model that is only about $250 and has 269Wh and a 600w inverter. Portable, foldable solar panels are available from them as well as from many other manufacturers. This class of product is getting more and more popular.

These sort of devices go beyond the original poster’s question re: 12v outlets, but it’s reassuring to have choices in the unlikely event that the final Aptera design doesn’t meet one’s 12v charging needs.

• Dennis Swaney

July 8, 2022 at 8:44 am

Lack of a hardwired 12vdc source minimum will be a deal killer for me.

• James Gatan

July 8, 2022 at 11:10 am

Ray, I’m interested too for the Aptera to have the 12V female cigarette socket. Am still quite dependent on it. As an example, I use it everyday to plug in my 2 dash cams (front & rears), as in my ICE Mazda6. But I plan to attach a front facing dash cam on my Aptera. Another thing, I have some NOS VAG solar panels with suction cups (circa 2000s; of my old German 1.8T Audi A4 & Passat Wagon from factory). Attachable to windows in cars and is plugged directly to the 12v cig socket. It can trickle charge your 12V lead acids. Am thinking if it can be doable to trickle charge the small 12V auxiliary rechargeable battery of the Aptera lol.

• Dennis Swaney

July 7, 2022 at 4:56 pm

I just realized that in addition to a 12vdc outlet, I’m going to need a source where I can make a hardwired 12vdc connection. Of course I could always tap off the back of an outlet.

• Kirk Robbins

July 8, 2022 at 6:36 am

My suggestion would be at a minimum having a power delivery USB C port and or ports that match common solar generators. It’s time for the standard unreliable 12v receptacles to go away.

• Dennis Swaney

July 8, 2022 at 8:42 am

Sorry, there are people who have equipment that REQUIRE a 12vdc supply. When USB outlets can put out 12 vdc up to 10 amps, THEN they might be able to replace the standard power outlet.

• Y Z

July 8, 2022 at 10:26 am

If the aptera already has a 12v system in place, it should be easy to include a 12v plug. Even if they don’t want it in the center console, I’ve seen cars with them in the trunk area or in the passenger footwell.

• Dennis Swaney

July 8, 2022 at 7:39 pm

They don’t even have to include the outlet, just a 12dc source, be it switched or unswitched, as you can buy outlets at your Friendly Local Auto Parts Store (FLAPS). I’ve seen them from one to four ports, and now there are panels that incorporate USB ports and a digital voltmeter along with at least one standard “cigar” outlet.

• Joshua Rosen

July 8, 2022 at 11:52 am

I want multiple USB-Cs but I also think a 12V should be included also. The 12V connector can deliver a lot of power and it’s primitiveness is a feature because it can be used by dumb devices like refrigerators. It’s also useful for expanding the number of USBs. My Tesla only has a couple of USB-A connectors which I have connected to my wireless charging pad. I have a dual USB-C adapter plugged into my 12V adapter which we use for a second phone and also for my promary phone when it’s acting as a hot spot because there isn’t enough power from the USB-A powered charging pad.

• Richard Mitchell

July 8, 2022 at 7:55 pm

With all of the onboard power and the solar charging options, it would be most useful if the Aptera had 12v and/or 120v outlets. As a photographer that looks forward to using this car as my adventure vehicle for long road trips to do photography, I have a need to charge camera and computer gear on a regular basis. A Jackery won’t cut it for a longer trip – and having to hook up an auxiliary solar panel when the Aptera has 700w of solar would be a real inconvenience (especially since a portable panel would likely have to be exposed to sun… during the day… while traveling)

• Ray Holan

July 9, 2022 at 5:19 am

When I read through the posts in this thread I was reminded (once again) that we have a great variety of use cases and preferences when it comes to Aptera features. Glad I’m not the one who has to make these design decisions — balancing cost, repairability, and customer preference is a tricky business.

• Selvan Poothamby

July 9, 2022 at 6:25 am

A couple of these and one of those would be perfect!

• Dennis Swaney

July 9, 2022 at 8:50 am

Or this:

• Steve Wanamaker

July 24, 2022 at 10:26 am

YES. Plug in cooler. Tire inflator. Dash cam. CPAP machine at night. USB phone charging. This is an ELECTRIC car. There should be access to electricity!

• Dustin DelRosso

July 9, 2022 at 7:21 pm

I really want a dash cam, its a deal breaker if they dont include such a basic feature. Also 12v power port is very important. And please wire in a 12v user interface. Constant power, switch power and ground, with a matching plug end with leads.

• Crissa Kentavr

July 11, 2022 at 11:53 am

Mine is powered by USB-C…

• John Malcom

July 23, 2022 at 8:20 pm

The deal may be broken then.

There is no indication that the first production Aptare will be equipped with dash cams. Nothing would prevent you from installing one after purchase of course. This way you can chose the features you want in the dash cams.

Neither of my last two cars came with dash cams. I installed two different third party types in them.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by  John Malcom.
      • GLENN ZAJIC

July 23, 2022 at 11:36 pm

Hey John, welcome back to the USA! Can those dash cams be set up as sentries or do they only operate when vehicle is on?

• Arlen Bell

July 24, 2022 at 8:51 am

Aptera must have at least one 12 volt receptacle. I carry a 12 volt inflator that can’t run off UBC and unless Aptera comes with the full Tesla like Sentry system I need to connect front and rear (some how) dash cams. I’m familiar with the Ego inverter — weighs a ton and it would be ridiculous to have to use it in Aptera! I also have friends that travel with oxygen concentrators that they run off 12 volt car systems when traveling.

• Jonah Jorgenson

July 24, 2022 at 9:28 am

I believe that Aptera will come with a 12v connector, but not for applications that require a lot of current

Viewing 1 - 9 of 9 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now