3-D Printed Models For Sale?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions 3-D Printed Models For Sale?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions 3-D Printed Models For Sale?

• 3-D Printed Models For Sale?

Curtis Cibinel updated 1 week, 6 days ago 11 Members · 23 Posts
  • Francis Giroux

December 29, 2021 at 7:35 pm

How many of you 3-D printer owners are going to produce a model for sale? I’m sure many of us are interested in getting one, for the right price. Small, Medium, Large, detailed, rolling, simple, one color, two tone, etc. doesn’t matter. There is room in this market for all options. What do you say? If you are printing one, why not sell a few? I’d like a black and yellow one that I can print on the side, an ad sign, with a magic marker.

• David Tiemeyer

December 30, 2021 at 4:19 pm

I created this 1/20th scale model of Aptera and had Roadrunner 3D in Albuquerque print it on their MJF machine.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ATr1JZ9ZyW2W1F5X6

You are more than welcome to have them print a copy, just say I sent you.

I have tried to contact the “Aptera Store” manager about offering several sizes, but haven’t found the right contact yet.

Otherwise let me know your email address and I will send you the *.STEP file.

• Francis Giroux

December 30, 2021 at 6:56 pm

Send me a picture and how much it cost you to get it printed at Roadrunner 3D.

hydrogenboost@roadrunner.com

• David Tiemeyer

December 30, 2021 at 8:08 pm

For photos try this shared link instead: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ATr1JZ9ZyW2W1F5X6

Roadrunner 3D quotes for various sizes:

$66.91 for 1/25th scale – length 173mm (6.81″)

$137.06 for 1/20th scale – length 220mm (8.66″)

$268.95 for 1/16th scale – length 275mm (10.83″)

If we can get the Aptera Store to buy in quantity these prices go way down.

• Raj Giandeep

December 31, 2021 at 9:38 am

That’s impressive detail. What material is it printed in?

• David Tiemeyer

December 31, 2021 at 10:05 am

Mine was printed on their HP 4210 with a Multiple Jet Fusion (MJF) process in PA12 Nylon. The part was left in its natural gray condition, but they can dye, powdercoat and even plate parts as required. You can contact them at roadrunner3d.net

• Francis Giroux

December 31, 2021 at 8:32 am

Now if they would print a 1/40th scale (4.3″) for under $20 they could sell like hotcakes.

I hope the Aptera store decides to check out all options and offer the best in class affordable model.

• David Tiemeyer

December 31, 2021 at 8:41 am

It WOULD make a great paper weight. I will add the smaller size to the list if I can ever get a hold of someone over at the Aptera Store.

• Ray Holan

January 1, 2022 at 10:17 am

David, I relayed your cool project to two Aptera employees with whom I have contact. Wondering out loud if there might be some licensing issue here similar to MLB or NFL merchandise?

• George Hughes

December 31, 2021 at 4:20 pm

The 3-D print approach to duplicating these would take an inordinate amount of time to attain volume.

What I might suggest is that someone associated with Aptera contact a diecast car toy manufacturer and commission an exclusive rendition of the Aptera in a popular scale size.

The question is, will a toy company make one as part of their effort – there is a die cast of everything it seems or whether they will require an interested party pony up some cash in exchange for a proprietary production. https://www.motormaxtoy.com/about-us

I will say it would be cool if you could pop down to Wally World and pickup one off the shelves 😉

It would also be a good marketing tool.

I think with a product like this, a 10,000 unit run at retail would have a retail value of about $400,000 for a 1:18 scale model and, given retail marks, the actual cost would be under $200,000 for that lot. A 1:24 scale model could be half that in general terms.

Personally, if I were at Aptera doing marketing, I would look at this kind of marketing investment with the idea that you use this for a direct mail campaign where 1-2,000 of the models are earmarked for independent repair shops nationwide. They’d be a premium for the return of a big survey that would give insight into the mindset of those in that business based on their responses.

You would probably find out that one of the main impediments for independent shops to work on EVs is the use, by manufacturers of

With a proper survey, you’d be able to identify the 100-500 independent repair providers of the 1000 or so returned surveys all over the country if not all over the world. Not only that, but if the Aptera scale model is as cool I think, it would likely be displayed in the office of the repair shop which is a pretty good sign that business would work on them.

Of course, sales of the remaining 8000 models would be sold at a profit off-setting the costs of the direct mailing of the survey to 3-4000 shops of which a 25-40 percent return rate so you have a little data entry.

I actually did a research project similar to this back in the early ’80s for a fishing/outdoor company where a psychographically targeted list of (fishermen) to which I obtained response rates ranging from 26% to 52% depending on the source of the list. Those responses were in an eight-panel, self-returning printed survey with tons of questions that asked me to

FYI: This research confirmed that if you want a kid to grow up to fish, you better let him or her catch one before age 7. Seems those who catch ’em young, become almost addicted to the sensation.

The trick to the high response rate was the nature of the survey, I asked the respondents to tell me about their last fishing adventure and designed the responses to let them tell that story. With a little research I’m sure a compelling survey instrument could be crafted for the auto repair industry.

It would take a good amount of work to do this but it would at least be a way to get a cool Aptera scale model 🙂 I wonder if they can do it with ‘composites’?

• David Tiemeyer

December 31, 2021 at 6:15 pm

I like where you are going with this. I hope Aptera Marketing has their ear to the rail and gleans useful ideas from these posts.

I could relate to your story as I was about seven when bitten by the fishing bug after catching a bullhead in my grandpa’s cattle pond.

Grooming a network of independent garages to work on the thousands of Apteras rolling off the assembly line is something that should be addressed and well thought out. Your idea is worth trying in a sample market.

And why not send a model to each Ambassador to facilitate their “show and tell” …

• Ray Holan

January 1, 2022 at 12:02 pm

Having a model of the Aptera as part of an “Ambassador Toolkit” makes a lot of sense to me, David. Given we don’t realistically expect to have any full scale Apterae before year’s end, at least s model like you described could be something tangible to show interested parties.

• john Bussjaeger

June 19, 2022 at 1:39 pm

How about 3D models for actual car parts?

The cup holders snap in; console parts that snap in, other components that could be 3D printed by users should just be published in STEP or STL files so the community could get to work innovating many kinds of ideas. Not just for alternative cup holders, it could aid in fast repairs and 3rd party products. You’ve got the CAD files already.

For example; simple snap points added in various places could go unused by Aptera but publish it and people could easily add dashcam mounts, phone holders, pen holders, extra consoles buttons etc. A simple design decoration like ridges could end up being functional attachment points… I use the vent holes on my Nissan Leaf to mount my phone along with a designed ridge — but a little intentional work would have made it easier and not accidental that it worked out well.

Think campers… not just your add-on tent, functional design decorations could make for many interesting mount points for those users (such as hooks for holding fishing rods etc.)

• Curtis Cibinel

June 19, 2022 at 1:57 pm

The center console seems very modular in design already. With the measurements it would be very easy to design a cup holder insert that could be printed. I hope they are that open with the design because it would be super useful for minor repairs and customization.

• Oz (It’s Oz, just Oz)

June 19, 2022 at 2:03 pm

One weakness of Aptera, is clearly describing things and plans. In the webinar Jason Hill showed the cupholder, but at the same time indicated that there would seem to be other alternative/optional items as yet undescribed, that could go in that space and others.

Viewing 1 - 7 of 7 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now