$35000 Lightyear Solar EV

Aptera Community Solar EV Industry News $35000 Lightyear Solar EV

Aptera Community Solar EV Industry News $35000 Lightyear Solar EV

• $35000 Lightyear Solar EV

• Peter Jorgensen

December 16, 2021 at 7:33 am

Lightyear announces a new solar EV for sale around 2025. So this is a great option similar to the future 4-seat aptera. Probably doesn’t have 600-1000 miles of range though.

https://electrek.co/2021/12/16/lightyear-announces-34000-solar-electric-car/

• Joshua Rosen

December 16, 2021 at 9:23 am

<div>https://insideevs.com/news/555076/lightyear-two-solar-ev-2025/</div><div&gt;

It’s going to have a small battery. The Lightyear One has a 60KWh battery, the Two will have a “much smaller” battery although the size wasn’t mentioned. So Peter is correct it’s not going to be a 600 mile car but it could be a 300-400 mile vehicle. A 300 mile car in Europe is probably as much as anyone needs given how short their distances are.

</div>

• Curtis Cibinel

December 16, 2021 at 10:51 am

Good. Competition validates the general concept of efficiency and solar. With the general EV industry supply constrained for the next ~5-10 years we are in a weird situation were anything remotely reasonable will sell and its about how well a company can take profits and expand to establish its initial market share by 2030. The massive jump from $170k to $35k will be really difficult to achieve for Lightyear while being profitable – perhaps it will just be a rebadged EV primarily made in china. I’d expect them to be 150-200 mile range which is just fine in europe for most.

• Peter Jorgensen

December 16, 2021 at 10:54 am

True. I guess I shouldn’t feel threatened by it. It’s fantastic for those people who need something that isn’t “too wide for europe”.

• Vernon Michael Gardner

December 16, 2021 at 10:39 pm

The light year one in the pictures is $170,000. Will be nice if they can bring that price down to $35,000 in 4 years.

• Philip Raymond

December 17, 2021 at 12:22 am

I think the Lightyear Two will be very attractive to those looking for a more normal looking, 4 wheeled solar vehicle and will probably be ok with half the range of an Aptera. The 4 wheeled Aptera will probably be 2025 or later, so for now it looks like Lightyear has an advantage over Aptera for this segment, if only for timing of delivery.

• Joshua Rosen

December 17, 2021 at 9:21 am

They won’t be head to head for a while. Lightyear is in Europe, if the Two doesn’t come out until 2025 we won’t see it in the US for a couple of years after that if at all. It’s also unlikely that Aptera will make it to Europe before that. The width of the three wheeler is supposedly a problem in Europe and it’s unlikely that Aptera will have a second vehicle before 2025.

• Peter Jorgensen

December 17, 2021 at 11:52 am

I think it makes great sense for the Aptera to sell here in the US and the Lightyear 2 to sell in Europe. Hopefully they both do great and relieve some of the demand.

• John Malcom

December 17, 2021 at 7:25 pm

To little to late for a manufacturer that leads with a 170K vehicle. Europe will be flooded with price competitive competitors from Euro and Chinese manufacturers by the time they have a vehicle to release.

Viewing 1 - 7 of 7 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now