54,000 Teslas Recalled Because of Safety Issue

Aptera Community Solar EV Industry News 54,000 Teslas Recalled Because of Safety Issue

Aptera Community Solar EV Industry News 54,000 Teslas Recalled Because of Safety Issue

• 54,000 Teslas Recalled Because of Safety Issue

John Malcom updated 5 months ago 2 Members · 3 Posts
  • John Malcom

February 1, 2022 at 9:24 am

Tesla’s new self driving software feature “Aggressive” allow the vehicle to drive through stop signs at a little over 5mph on fully self drive. NHTSA says no no! All with the update need to be recalled.

https://www.autoblog.com/2022/02/01/tesla-full-self-driving-recall-runs-stop-signs/

• This discussion was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by  bbelcamino.
  • Joshua Rosen

February 1, 2022 at 1:12 pm

It’s not a recall in the regular sense because it will be an OTA.

That said I don’t think there is any safety issue with FSD because it’s so absolutely terrible. It would be dangerous if it were so good that it would lull you into believing that it really can handle 100% of driving situations when in reality it would fail 1% of the time. That’s not the case, in my experience it does something scary every couple of miles. I’m not alone in that assessment, there is a poll in the Tesla Motor Club Autopilot group about frequency of disengagements. 41% checked 1-5 miles as I did, less than a mile and 5-10 each had 19-20% (I don’t remember the exact number), nobody has ever gone 100 miles without a disengagement.

I have FSD Beta, do you have it John? If so what’s your experience with it?

I give it a try every time there is a new release just to see what progress they’ve made. I bought FSD out of scientific curiosity not because I believed that it was ever going to get to Level 5 with the sensor suite that they have on the Model 3. However the progress that they’ve made since I bought it in July 2019 is even less than I expected.

The most terrifying thing that it does is not recognizing stop lights until you are almost there. A human driver looks a block ahead, if you see a stop light you ease off even if it’s green and certainly if it’s red so that you can do a gentle stop. The camera’s on the Tesla don’t look that far ahead so it just keeps barrelling along even if there is a red light coming up and there are cars stopped at the light. I’ve had it do this to me at one particular intersection several times including when it was around freezing and it was drizzling, those are the conditions where black ice can form. People know that and take extra precautions but there is no indication that Tesla’s software understands weather.

To bring this around to something that’s more relevant for this group. The lesson here is that you should never sell something that doesn’t already work. It would be fine if they had simply allowed people to sign up as beta testers, I love beta testing. But Tesla has been selling FSD for enormous amounts of money, I paid the bargain price of $6000, the price today is $12,000. They have a huge liability on there hands because they are never going to be able to get to Level 4 let alone Level 5 with this hardware suite. Elon’s been saying they will have it by the end of this year since 2016, it’s become a joke at this point.

There are good off the shelf driver assist systems that will do lane centering, blind spot monitoring and collision warnings. I hope that the driver assist system that Aptera offers will come from someone reputable like MobileEye. Those functions work today, Tesla does a very good job of this but so do other systems. Driver’s assist is an absolute requirement in a modern car but unfortunately the day when you can just lay back and let the car chauffeur you to your destinations is years away.

• John Malcom

February 1, 2022 at 1:55 pm

I cringed when I read this. Brave of you to drive with it. I do not have the beta. Based on your experience, I will not get or use it. I agree the Level II assists are good. I don’t use those either. Force of habit drive without the assists as I have done for years. I need to catch up with the use of the technology. I will with the Aptera.

Viewing 1 - 2 of 2 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now