A bit of positive news!

Aptera Community Solar EV Industry News A bit of positive news!

Aptera Community Solar EV Industry News A bit of positive news!

• A bit of positive news!

• kerbe2705

December 15, 2021 at 5:43 pm
  • John Malcom

December 17, 2021 at 7:29 pm

???? If this is actually accomplished in a timely manner will be good for the general adoption of EVs in the US and go toward the reduction of range anxiety

• Joel Smith

December 18, 2021 at 11:29 am

I sure hope that they have a well reasoned grasp of the difference between route charging and destination charging. The latter is the real paradigm shift available to EV drivers, can give good service with relatively low power and thus cheap chargers and will ultimately provide the vast majority of kWh of actual charging. Home, work, sports and entertainment venues, retail establishments where you are liable to expect to loiter for an hour or more are where those modest destination chargers should be ubiquitous, cheap (even free), and marketed as yet another reason to go there.

The folks who are going to need the route chargers are going to be the much more rare long haulers and few folks who have failed to plan their destination charging well enough to serve the immediate need. That’s the old gas station paradigm where folks expect a brief stop and then be on their way again with “a full tank.” In a word; the expensive option.

Problem is that unless folks have already realized the destination charging paradigm, route charging is what they will instinctively give weight to. If that is allowed to be the primary driver of charging infrastructure deployment, then that will be an obstacle to folks finding their way to the destination charging paradigm that will ultimately serve folks best most of the time. And more dollars spent on fewer chargers that may ultimately be used less.

Yeah we do need both but let’s apportion that allotment of moneys where they will do the most good.

• kerbe2705

December 18, 2021 at 10:40 pm

I read somewhere that the dream is to insure that there’s reliable DC charging available at 100-mile intervals along the nation’s interstate highways using about a third of the funding. The remaining funds will go toward community-based L2 charging.

• Eric Miller

December 19, 2021 at 7:36 am

Tesla’s already well on their way to making this happen with their Supercharger network. As a Tesla owner, I’m not sure how I feel about Superchargers being available to all EVs, but as a future Aptera owner it’ll open up the country for travel.

• Peter Jorgensen

December 20, 2021 at 7:13 am

On most road-trips I camp in the woods (Usually free BLM camping in Utah, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, etc).

I have destination charged once on 6 trips. It would be nice to have a random outlet in the middle of the desert but it isn’t always the case – especially out west and off grid. So, I use route chargers 99% of the time and I don’t see that changing for my use case scenario. But if I’m ever going to stay at an actual hotel, you bet I’ll look for a charger!

Cheers

Peter

2020 Kia Niro EV

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now