Aptera delivery plan

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera delivery plan

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera delivery plan

• Aptera delivery plan

• larry kaiser

July 29, 2022 at 12:16 pm

Aptera is going to be produced. The tax credit and gas prices are going to increase demand exponentially. I have a suggestion that might help Aptera meet the challenge. When the initial demand in the Southern California area is filled then Aptera should offer reservation holders the opportunity to come and pick up their vehicle at the factory in reservation order. I guess that normal delivery by truck would cost a minimum of $500 per vehicle. If 2000 people travel to San Diego and drive their Aptera home that’s a million dollars that Aptera does not have to come up with early in the life of the company when they need to buy millions of dollars’ worth of production equipment. The initial cost of delivery might be more than $500. Aptera would have to buy, lease or rent trucks and trailers to make the deliveries. When Elio was a thing, we were told that there were no trailers designed to haul 3 wheel vehicles. I don’t suppose that has changed. Custom trailers would be pricy. The company should, at least find out how many people are willing to travel to San Diego to pick up their ride.

• This discussion was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by  Norman Roberts.
  • Len Nowak

July 29, 2022 at 12:25 pm

I know several people, not from CA, that plan to pickup their Aptera I am driving out with one whi will drive his Aptera home and I will follow him in his Tesla

So I assume it was always an option.

• larry kaiser

July 29, 2022 at 2:45 pm

It has always been an option. My idea was that anyone who was willing to pick up their Aptera at the factory would get theirs first in the order that they placed a reservation.

• Eric Caldwell

July 29, 2022 at 12:25 pm

I guess I was never under the impression that transportation would be covered. My decision to pick up or drive will, in part, be based on what their cost to ship the vehicle to me will be.

There have been other posts stating that pick-up and/or transportation details will be released closer to the time when your particular car is ready. I’d suspect if you hang tight these questions will have answers soon enough.

• larry kaiser

July 29, 2022 at 2:42 pm

That was my point. They said, early on, that they would cover delivery. If they have 30,000 orders that leaves them on the hook for around $15 million in shipping costs. If the first vehicles went to those who were willing to pick them up at the factory Aptera could delay the expenses involved with shipping until they had the profit from several thousand sales.

• Vernon SINNOTT

July 29, 2022 at 12:26 pm

That’s may be fine for USA residents but not international. Importing any vehicle into Alberta means it must pass both federal & provincial inspections to be approved to drive here. I wonder if Canadian orders could be assembled locally or if Aptera can work with governments here to get a blanket approval for new Apteras. Not sure it would be logistically possible. I would love to pick up my Aptera and drive it back to Alberta even with an “in transit” sticker.

• Dennis Swaney

July 29, 2022 at 1:29 pm

Out of curiosity, what (other than the speedometer) are the major differences in a Canada legal vehicle and one in these United States. Actually, come to think of it, even the speedometer isn’t a barrier anymore since analog ones have both metric and US markings on the gauge face and if you have a digital one there is a button you can use to toggle between miles and kilometers.

• Bob Kirchner

July 30, 2022 at 7:56 am

I recently imported my mother’s nearly new Honda Fit to Canada. What I can tell you is that the differences in legal specification are minor, but numerous. For instance, it has to come across the border with both an English and a French language owner’s manual. It also has to be on a list of vehicles approved by Transport Canada, which take into account the numerous other small differences in our emissions and safety laws. For anyone to independently import an Aptera to Canada, Aptera would have to get our vehicles onto that list.

• Mark Salyzyn

July 30, 2022 at 7:38 am

Talk to your customs broker and motor vehicles office please. Expect to pay GST and Duty, which will not be insignificant, the rest will be just finding the correct paperwork. It is _cheaper_ to have the Customs Broker apprised, paperwork in hand, and ready with regards to the fees, than to show up with nothing and get assigned a flat rate bond.

IMHO Since it will be classified as a Motorcycle in Alberta ATM, you have both a relaxed set of automotive requirements, and a limited expertise to call upon regarding the paperwork and registration. In Alberta custom vehicles should still be permitted, and (at least in ’94 when I lived there and did so) a minor safety inspection by a mechanic reporting to motor vehicles was all that was required. Perhaps the same for Aptera. Regardless, this forum is not the place you should be, start talking to brokers and motor vehicles _now_ and have your Q&A ready. AFAIK you are currently the only Albertan with a reservation on the Forums, so you must be the expert.

• Vernon SINNOTT

July 31, 2022 at 8:44 pm

I have imported before. I didn’t need a customs broker to import my Aprilla 200 but it was on an approved list. It isn’t up to me to get Aptera on an approved list. I downloaded the paperwork and presented at the border when crossing. If I remember correctly, the federal inspection was performed at the border before I crossed with the Aprilla 200. I hauled it on the back of my vehicle and had Destination Cycle do the provincial inspection in Airdrie. Then, I was able to get it licensed. This could be a mute point if the Canadian orders were assembled in Canada. Aptera has a VP in Calgary.

• Catherine Sophian

July 29, 2022 at 3:32 pm

I live in Hawaii so I cannot come in and get mine and drive it home. If I get pushed to the end of a long line of mainlanders because of that I will be very unhappy!

• Riley ________________________________

July 30, 2022 at 4:22 am

Hawaii is really expensive to ship a car to but that’s the price of living in paradise, if you get too unhappy you can just relax on a nice sunny beach.

• John Voules

July 29, 2022 at 5:36 pm

Larry Great Idea,

Why not add investors to priority list…those who have brought the project to fruition.

I can see why people who are waiting inline may feel a bit overlooked. I love the idea, it’s great for APTERA’s starting bottom line but I would like to know by winter where my place may be. Let’s say with my early delivery day if I pick up maybe 3rd week of January, that doesn’t bode well. I don’t want to be the 1st to test the wrap on winter salty roads when I reach Chicago.

The folks in our lower latitudes have the advantage of climate…I bow that~

• Jonah Jorgenson

July 30, 2022 at 8:07 am

Absolutely not!

And I am an investor with a later reservation. The delivery process needs to be fair and equitable to all reservation holders and move forward in the closest order to the reservation queue as possible.

There was a suggestion by an Ambassador earlier for them to receive precedence so they could “Test” before others received their Apterae to find defects. Same response to that suggestion.

Investors had the same opportunity others to reserve early. They should keep their place in line.

Aptera has committed several times to make the delivery as equitable as possible base on date of reservation.

• Selvan Poothamby

July 30, 2022 at 8:24 am

… date of reservation And configuration

• Thomas French

July 31, 2022 at 6:27 am

… date of reservation And configuration

• John Voules

July 30, 2022 at 8:52 pm

I thought obviously it was also wrong. Maybe my message wasn’t clear. Our previous 2 posts had their own concerns over not being able to receive their APTERA. I don’t think it does any good for them, when we’re conversing about flying in. I do know that it is a poor choice to offer investors 1st crack. My message possibly lacked my true meaning.

• kerbe2705

July 30, 2022 at 9:44 pm

@John Voules At some point during a webinar Aptera mentioned using 3M vinyl automotive wrap – which is one of the two best products on the market. There are over 100 shops in the greater Chicagoland region that are busily wrapping vehicles with the 3M product every day – I’m sure they’ll be happy to reassure you about using the product in your area.

• John Voules

August 1, 2022 at 8:12 am

Perhaps over my lifetime I just realized I never purchased a vehicle in the winter. I hate for my 1st drive to be in the winter. Not part of me to take a spanking brand new car and drive it through slush and snow. Wife won’t move to warmer climate. Maybe I would take delivery in the winter without me picking up from factory.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by  John Voules.
        • This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by  John Voules.
  • Richard Paul

July 31, 2022 at 7:41 am

I live in Arizona. I definitely want to pick mine up and drive home!

• Ray Holan

July 31, 2022 at 9:24 am

Hi, Larry. Thanks for starting this thread. Delivery method is certainly the endgame, isn’t it? I’m in Ohio so flying to Cali and driving my Aptera home is a non-trivial exercise. I’ll likely take the hit and pay a shipper to cart it from the West Coast to Ohio. Although the idea of doing an Aptera caravan with a few other owners for the trip does sound appealing.

As to Aptera paying for delivery, I’d be very surprised if they do. Tremendous hit to their bottom line to do so. Even major ICE manufacturers regularly tack on delivery charge to sticker price.

• Norman Roberts

July 31, 2022 at 10:13 am

I am not sure where Aptera stands on delivery. When I reserved mine in Jan 2021 they indicated “Free Delivery” that has since been removed from the site. I am in AZ and will be happy to pick up and drive home

• Dan Kerpe

July 31, 2022 at 10:30 am

There’s one more little hiccup on delivery that nobody is talking about. The standard car haulers used to deliver new cars can’t deal with three wheelers. They aren’t set up for that center wheel. They’ll have to rely on rail, then flat bed trucks.

• OZ (It’s OZ, Just OZ)

July 31, 2022 at 10:50 am

Oh, it’s been mentioned plenty.

• kerbe2705

July 31, 2022 at 10:51 am

@Dan Kerpe …or they could bolt-in a third wheel tray… Or attach an outrigger dolly to the third wheel, similar to the frame used to load motorcycles onto Amtrak’s Auto Train.

I, for one, am still hoping they’ll be delivered by giant electric drones. 😆

• Dan Stevens

July 31, 2022 at 7:02 pm

Interesting thought, but there is a fly (or two) in this suggestion.

Picking up the car in California will subject the sale of the car to California sales tax, which I believe in Carlsbad is 7.75% on the full value of the car. If its a $30,000 version, that means you will pay California a total of $2325 in sales tax.

If your state has say a 5% sales tax rate, then if you took delivery in your state, it would be $1500 for the same car.

For California to not charge sales tax, you have to take delivery out of the state, meaning you have to pay someone to take your car out of state where you sign the paperwork and take possession.

Ultimately, this becomes a taxation nightmare.

If tax rates are basically the same, then this doesn’t matter so much since your state should give you credit for the taxes paid in California when you register it in your own state.

• kerbe2705

July 31, 2022 at 10:01 pm

@Dan Stevens – unless you purchase the vehicle online, in which case you pay the sales tax for your state. Remember, this isn’t a car and it’s not being sold by a dealership: If you buy a motorcycle in a crate from Amazon, you don’t pay taxes to the locale from which it’s shipped to you.

If you live in a state that doesn’t allow Tesla stores and you buy a Model 3 that’s made and shipped from Fremont, you don’t pay California taxes – you pay your local taxes. The only time you’d have to pay CA taxes as a non-Californian would be if you went to Carlsbad and purchased the vehicle there.

• Dan Stevens

July 31, 2022 at 10:30 pm

For clarity, on the Tesla, you don’t pay CA sales tax because you don’t take delivery in the state. If you take delivery at Fremont, then you do, even though you ordered it ‘online’

Your point about it not being a car might be true, but the ‘crate’ from Amazon is delivered to you, you don’t pick it up in California.

I have direct experience trying to get around this rule (for an RV) and eventually, I paid someone to drive it out of the state for me to take delivery.

This might work out different, it’ll be interesting to see. If your tax rates are anywhere near the same, then it isn’t much of an issue but I know a lot of states have much better tax rates and some have some other things like deducting the value of a trade in (not that I expect Aptera to take trades).

• Eric Caldwell

July 31, 2022 at 11:05 pm

Dan, that is an incredible point. My local sales tax is capped at $640, and that extra ~$1,700 that I wouldn’t pay to California would go a long ways toward barging the Aptera to Alaska.

• Sam Slayden

August 5, 2022 at 6:32 am

So, not trying to be a tax evader here, but what if completed vehicles were sent to a lot or marshalling yard of sorts in Arizona? Yuma is about 3 hours away. Transportation to this area would be much cheaper than trying to get all the way across the US (for those that want to pick up their Aptera), it has an airport where folks can fly in for the pick up, and the tax rate in Arizona is 5.6% vs. 7.25% of California. My wife and I would probably do something like this just for the thrill, but it would have to make financial sense.

• Ray Holan

August 5, 2022 at 6:56 am

Lots of informed opinions here. Sounds like it boils down to where you take delivery of the vehicle. I bought a used car from a dealer in Maryland years ago. Paid Maryland tax. Whenever I had a vehicle shipped to me here in Ohio, I paid Ohio tax. In the final analysis, picking up my Aptera in California means I’ll take the CA tax hit AND the expenses and time investment of driving my Aptera cross country (i.e. tolls, motels, meals, and fast charging costs). Getting it shipped to Ohio, I pay Ohio sales tax and the shipper.

• Lane Costilow

August 1, 2022 at 7:39 pm

Semis carry extra-wide loads somehow — side extensions? — so I don’t think finding a platform to fit an Aptera would be difficult. But I do want to pick up my Aptera in California. But I would have to pre-pay to avoid California taxes?

• Dan Stevens

August 1, 2022 at 9:30 pm

Prepay isn’t an issue, it is based on where you take delivery, i.e., where are you handed the keys.

In checking on this further, there may be a way for Aptera to work around it by having an ‘office’ in your state. Not sure they would be willing to do that since it involves more than just renting a box at the local MailBoxes etc, especially when it comes to cars. But better minds than mine can figure that out.

I wouldn’t worry about it to much till it gets closer to delivery time but my point in this was simply to be smart and ask the question up front about how taxes on the car will work when you pick up a car in a different state then where you live.

Please note, this isn’t an Aptera issue, outside of them making the cars in California, at least initially, and California likes to collect taxes.

• Lane Costilow

August 1, 2022 at 9:39 pm

It seems I read in another thread that a temp registration could be made in California then the vehicle driven to the owner’s state where it would be permanently registered and taxes paid there. I’ve read so many discussions … I’ll have to look for it.

• Dan Stevens

August 1, 2022 at 9:45 pm

I would absolutely LOVE to be told I’m wrong on this.
          Again, my thing here is to make sure people ask the question, rather than making the same assumption I did and having to find work arounds at the last minute (i.e., paying someone from the dealership to drive the RV out of state for delivery).

• Lane Costilow

August 1, 2022 at 9:55 pm

Aptera is based there. They’ll have to be the one to tell us.

• Jonah Jorgenson

August 5, 2022 at 8:20 am

Dan is right. If you pickup a vehicle in CA you will be responsible for CA taxes.

I have a colleague who lives in CO. He found a good deal on a VW in San Francisco and went there to buy the car. The dealer had a service (You pay for it) to drive the car across a state border, in this case CO, so he could take “Delivery” there and pay only CO tax.

• Paul Hackett

August 2, 2022 at 12:52 pm

I like this idea. N. S. I’ll ride my road bike from Boulder, CO to San Diego to pick up my Aptera. That would be sweet.

• Bob Kirchner

August 2, 2022 at 1:38 pm

At least it’s downhill, over all.

• Paul Hackett

August 2, 2022 at 1:51 pm

Some good climbing to get through the Rockies to the Western Slope and then at the end of the ride, the Laguna Mountains east of San Diego. Can’t remember what’s in between but those pop to mind. Definitely a tough ride because it has to be done in the summer given the challenge of the winter weather in crossing the Rockies in the winter on a bike.

• OZ (It’s OZ, Just OZ)

August 2, 2022 at 2:30 pm

Hell. if he builds up enough speed on the main downhill, he may be able to coast to Carlsbad.

• Matthew Modesitt

August 5, 2022 at 11:12 am

Add my name to the flying over and driving back. I will have to charge it twice along the way if all works out well as advertised and anticipated. Fort Wayne, Indiana is 2,208 miles away from Carlsbad, CA via Denver, which has more EV Charging Stations along the route per Google Maps. And, it will be a nice trip through the amount ins depending on the time of year I get mine. The weather could easily change my mind to the more Southern Rout option with fewer EV Charging Stations along it! It should make for an exciting ride, especially with the camping option with which I can camp somewhere as needed.

Viewing 1 - 13 of 13 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now