Add Secondary Assembly Plant in Canada?

Aptera Community Solar EV Industry News Add Secondary Assembly Plant in Canada?

Aptera Community Solar EV Industry News Add Secondary Assembly Plant in Canada?

• Add Secondary Assembly Plant in Canada?

• Ron Ledohowski

December 18, 2021 at 9:32 pm

Aptera should do a secondary assembly plant in Canada. I’d bet there would be both private & public interest & money available.

Timing is everything & Aptera’s mission carries some cachet.

Anyway, gov’t recently invested in this EV conceptual (just came across it) as one example:

https://www.carscoops.com/2021/08/canadian-government-invests-3-9m-in-autonomous-concept-ev-called-project-arrow/

https://www.carscoops.com/2021/12/canadas-project-arrow-ev-to-be-larger-than-tesla-model-y-feature-local-batteries/#Echobox=1639789452

0:22

InShot_20211218_161331387

0:22

• Ron Ledohowski

December 18, 2021 at 9:47 pm

Greetings from the beautiful Okanagan Valley of British Columbia, CANADA.

• Curtis Cibinel

December 19, 2021 at 12:22 pm

Their manufacturing style is well suited to small factories which could be distributed but I would expect 4-5 US factories before they consider one in canada. Ideally these facilities will also act as repair and part distribution centers.

Most buyer incentives are dependent on processing the payment/delivery in canada which Tesla does despite not manufacturing here (they currently don’t get incentives but that’s due to price increases). This is more of a delivery/billing challenge rather than manufacturing location.

The APMA Arrow project specifically seems unrealistic. Making a small SUV entirely with Canadian components for a competitive price as a startup doesn’t seem realistic. Aptera can start at a low price because of unconventional engineering and sourcing components rather than trying to insource everything.

• Robert Klasson

December 20, 2021 at 9:23 am

If they manage to get it approved in Europe, I think it would be more profitable to set up shop over here before expanding to Canada. Shipping and import duties are bound to be cheaper to Canada from the US than to Europe. I’d rather give $5000 more to Aptera than to a shipping company and customs.

• Curtis Cibinel

December 20, 2021 at 12:03 pm

The tricky thing with Europe is regulatory compliance. They will likely need a different model with no center console / smaller battery to work in europe. As I understand it they can ship a few hundred units without worrying about the dimensions in europe but if they produce them locally that limit wont last long.

• Robert Klasson

December 20, 2021 at 11:23 pm

Yep, that’s why I started with “If they manage to get it approved in Europe”. I myself would like to see regulatory changes in Europe, even though that would take time. There’s really no sense in there not being a class where an Aptera would fit. There are precedents, like Australia which allows 3 wheel vehicles in the normal car category, even though their regulations are much based of the EU automotive regulations as far as I’ve heard. There is even provisions in the L-class regulations where vehicles may be certified to the next higher class if they don’t meet the requirements of the most logical class, but since there is no higher L-class which would fit a 3-wheel Aptera, this would have to be extended to allow upgrade to normal class vehicle certification. Or just make add a L-class suitable for larger 3-wheel vehicles.

• Ron Ledohowski

December 20, 2021 at 9:36 am

My comments are based on the current political environment & related opportunities in Canada.

Public (& private) money & investment potential exists. “Timing is everything!”

It’s also geographically relevant.

Yes, product can flow back & forth… & then to the world.

Opening a micro factory across the invisible border into BC is easier to facilitate & manage than starting something across the pond, prematurely. Our rules are essentially the same & as such, don’t require any specific adaptation that Europe will.

Logical steps in logical order & timing. Satisfy the North American market first.

Yes, more micro factories will (& should) occur going further into the future too as things move logically forward; not negating that potential (nor likelihood) that includes Europe but also South America (ie. Mexico, Brazil etc.) IMHO.

Climate Action is Eveyone’s Business!

To Make CHANGE
    YOU must be the CHANGE!

#APTERA #DISRUPTIVE #SEV #EVTECH #SOLARELECTRICVEHICLES

The time is now!
    The future is here?

#TICTOC #TEMPUSFUGIT #TIMEFLIES

• Francis Giroux

December 20, 2021 at 6:42 pm

A factory near Toronto could supply North East United States if we could have no Tariffs.

• Randy J

December 23, 2021 at 12:23 pm

Magna comes to mind. A local Toronto success story.

Magna International Inc. is a Canadian
      mobility technology company for automakers. It is one of the largest
      companies in Canada and was recognized on the 2020 Forbes Global 2000.
      The company is the largest automobile parts manufacturer in North
      America by sales of original equipment parts,

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now