Adding air to tires

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Adding air to tires

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Adding air to tires

• Adding air to tires

John Malcom updated 7 months ago 10 Members · 16 Posts
  • Benjamin Dreidel

November 29, 2021 at 12:00 am

How do you add air to the tires when only 30-40% of the tire is accessible? Do you have to add air to a tire, roll forward / backward until another tire is in the right position, etc.?

• Ron Ledohowski

November 29, 2021 at 12:15 am

You’re probably right and likely the valve is on the inside of the rim. I’m guessing and would need to scour some vids. Rear tire likely the biggest hassle, I’m sure; especially for older folk or for those wearing skirts or nice dress pants.

That said, it would be wonderful if we could adjust tire pressure from inside cabin (electric pump) whether for offroad or for best energy use on highway (right air pressure matters for *efficiency) etc. There are cables going to the wheels already. Would solve the concern AND provide some added, “sensible” utility. P.S. Even ability to manually inflate a mattress for the back when camping etc., too.

It will be what it will be BUT you make a valid point that also has a potential OEM solution, IMHO.

*BTW, According to AAA, about 80 percent of the cars on the road are driving with one or more tires underinflated.

Because of the extra resistance an underinflated tire has when it rolls, your car’s engine (or motors) have to work harder. An underinflated tire by as little as 2 psi reduce fuel efficiency by 10 percent in I.C.E. vehicles and an extrapolation can be made for EV’s.

Tire-inflation systems have three general goals:

1. *Detect

2. *Notify

3. Inflate that tire back to the proper level. This means there has to be an air supply as well as a check valve that opens only when needed. Systems are designed more for slow leaks and for optimizing performance and safety than for keeping a vehicle moving on a tire that will no longer hold air.

Central Tire Inflation System (CTIS)

There are two main manufacturers of the CTIS: U.S.-based Dana Corporation and France-based Syegon (a division of GIAT).

*Because of the TREAD Act (Transportation Recall Enhancement Accountability & Documentation), all vehicles will soon have to have a tire-pressure monitoring system so all drivers know when their car’s tires are losing air pressure. These types of pressure-monitoring systems have been around for decades.

TRIVIA: As early as 1984, GM offered the CTIS on CUCV Blazers and pickups. CUCV stands for Commercial Utility Cargo Vehicle, and these trucks have been used by the U.S. military since the mid-1980s. They are essentially full-size Chevrolet Blazers and pick-ups that have special equipment added for military applications.

• Ron Ledohowski

November 30, 2021 at 11:17 pm

I must correct myself on a misstatement. My cars are always optioned out. Often with features not yet available in mainstream. Anyway, I hadn’t realized that TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) was “mandated” in 2007 so that feature exists in all new cars, period. Apologies for any confusion.

CTIS (Central Tire Inflation System) is the third piece and that isn’t mandated anytime into the future, as far as I can tell. It’s a good idea regardless IMHO. It’s not that complicated ie. nouveau.

• Ron Ledohowski

November 29, 2021 at 1:53 am

Yeah, it’s not clear to me unless someone else has better eyes (or another picture) and can see an air valve.

Anyway, a CTIS system is the answer IMHO. Maybe that’s already in the cards &/or already an engineered consideration given the in-wheel hub motor assemblies. ????

• Len Nowak Nowak

November 29, 2021 at 4:31 am

What we have been seeing is only the Alpha design and without the aero covers yet to the front pants.

I have been told that the goal is to have the wheel covers unclip “in a few minutes each” for tire access

My Discount Tire shop can’t wait to learn how to provide me my tire needs, that includes the free lifetime, tire rotation , air top off and tires. I will be a early Aptera owner ( i.e., low reservation number holder ) and will start the Discount Tire education at least from my southern edge of the AZ desert!

An old ( again alpha experience) had a video where Chris pushed the Noir with his finger, where he was just showing the light weight of the vehicle….

So IMHO

????

Was it in Neutral, where the valve will come around?

“If needed” could I screw on a simple off-set valve extension?

✅I love my Honda’s display of each tire’s air pressure , via the TPMS, and hope Aptera will have that.

✅I love ❤️my hand held Sun Joe cordless digital hand held battery operated air compressor, the size of a compact hair dryer, which I use for all my airing needs WITH JOY/EASE! Best garage tool I ever bought. If I had a slow leak on my tire…. it travels with me the Discount Tire where they deal with the cause of a tire leak, proudly and free! And BOY I have I had lots of flat tires …the past five years!

• G Johns

November 29, 2021 at 4:11 am

I will guess you remove the cover and top off the front tires. For the rear if you need to place something on the ground, do so lay on it and top off. If it’s incomprehensible you can always pay someone to do it.

• GREG MIRICH

November 29, 2021 at 12:08 pm

If you run NITROGEN in the tires the pressure is more stable and refills are not as often. Also the tires do not build as much pressure at highway speeds.

• Ron Ledohowski

November 29, 2021 at 4:29 pm

Absolutely. Larger molecule if I remember correctly. Apparently it also deals with moisture/wheel corrosion from within too, from what I understood &/or was told at the time.

Anyway, I run with nitrogen on my vehicles for years. Motorcycles too.

First I had ever heard of it being used was in military vehicles, as well as aircraft. I believe I was charged 5 bucks Canadian per tire. That works out to be about 59¢ American (all-in) ????. I’ve wasted more on a cup of coffee. Some at the time considered it a gimmick but I have NO complaints.

In the end, proper inflation is super important for best mileage; or lowered for off road application as necessary.

• G Johns

November 29, 2021 at 4:35 pm

So 21% oxygen is the problem.

• Cosme Tome Melendez

November 29, 2021 at 7:13 pm

Benajamin and others, I am 68 and usually ride my BMW R1200RT for long distances, and before each trip, at home I set up the front and rear air pressure, of course almost never I find the valves in the easy way to check and fill if it is in needing so, I have to move front and back the entire bike in order to find the right valve position, it is not an issue is just part of the coming trip, I think the inclusion of such mentioned devices will not necessary, price will rise up, maybe as an option is ok, but we do not need that.

By the way check the right wheels air pressure incorporates a good work out to keep body plenty of energy before drive, ja, ja, I am curious how people will receive this my point of view.

Respectfully and thanks for reading!

• Ron Ledohowski

November 29, 2021 at 8:02 pm

If it’s not a convoluted process to access the valve, it’s “all good”… especially given that low tire pressure sensors are apparently a part of the TREAD Act, & as a result, soon to be in ALL our futures. I just added (suggested) the optional “final piece” of the equation (ie. 3rd of 3) while also reiterating that this CTIS tech is NOT new; exists for decades.

Aptera is about “efficiency and mileage”.

This system would assist in achieving the “max range” plus you can also deflate when going off road, in the mud or even heavy snow, then top it back up for the highway.

Raising the car by the same compressor would only be a cherry on top. Save the front wheel fenders off road or coming off some driveways. That functionality, however, becomes much more unlikely at this stage as that touches the suspension and deeper integration I would think. What do I know? Depends on how nimble they are, and at this stage too.

Maybe call it aspirational?

It becomes a case of “Probabilities & Possibilities” and defining the line distinction between the two based on a number of factors including, and not limited “just” to, time. Depends on how fluid things are there. Do remember, they are only on early beta; lest we forget.

Either way, just speaking my thoughts aloud (& allowed). Ideas flow and people express their take on things; hopefully supported with facts and links where possible.

• my_discord_number_is_0328 bloody stupid

November 29, 2021 at 8:52 pm

lot of people are disabled, it can help for them, and the rear may easily break at speed and imperfect roads if tire busts to a nail or some borken glass on road, the bust wont necessarily flat the tire immediately it may rather slowly lose pressure, so a warning on screen can be difference of not damaging the rear by slowing down roadside. ive seen a car with its own airpump to auto pump tires and if theres unusual amount of pressure loss in a given time then it warns driver of tire damage for patching or replacement. the airpump is connected to piping to wheels and and runs on cars battery but it can be removed with electric cable to help other cars or inflatables such as air matress, chair, kiddie pool or whatever they do with airpumps. most people wont check their tire until they notice their car cant turn without slowing a lot or after a small slip incident, so they go car shop where they finally get new tires only after the car shop told them they should. maybe the electric motors and electric steering data can be used to detect unusual loss of traction that would indicate tires need to be replaced b/c tire thread is too flat if tire pressure sensor knows its not a pressure problem. infotainment/app can include “how to know what to fix and how to fix” stuff b/c most people dont know how to change a tire etc, and usually the instructional manual is in a landfill from a recycle bin long ago by the time that happens b/c noone thinks about that stuff until it happens.

• Michael Blair

December 1, 2021 at 10:22 am

I’m hoping this product comes to market soon … no need for air or a spare.

https://www.smarttirecompany.com/

• Curtis Cibinel

December 1, 2021 at 10:35 am

Likely to have the same poor rolling resistance like the michelin airless tires. Good for dirtybikes or construction equipment but not vehicles that want to be energy efficient like aptera.

• Michael Blair

December 1, 2021 at 10:54 am

Nope. Per the company, “The novel use of shape memory alloys capable of undergoing high strain as load bearing components, instead of typical elastic materials, results in a tire that can withstand excessive deformation without permanent damage. Using shape memory alloy as radial stiffening elements can also increase the load carrying capacity of the tire. The Superelastic Tire offers traction equal or superior to conventional pneumatic tires and eliminates both the possibility of puncture failures and running “under-inflated”, thereby improving automobile fuel efficiency and safety. Also, this tire design does not require an inner frame which both simplifies and lightens the tire/wheel assembly.”

• John Malcom

December 1, 2021 at 12:13 pm

Yep! Curtis is correct, greatly increased rolling resistance is the tradeoff for the benefits listed. Much better for Aptera to have conventional low rolling resistance tires or even conventional tires at this point and until some of the “Airless” tires can compete with reduced rolling resistance.

The other drawback of these tires is there cost. At first, until R&D expenditures and higher production costs are recovered, they will be expensive. A few years away.

Viewing 1 - 7 of 7 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now