Aftermarket lighting

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aftermarket lighting

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aftermarket lighting

• Aftermarket lighting

• Ritchie Hornak

August 17, 2022 at 8:03 pm

I’m wondering about 12 volt access for emergency strobe lights and sirens. I’m a volunteer firefighter. The lights aren’t needed for speed as much as for traffic control and visibility.

• kerbe2705

August 18, 2022 at 3:50 pm

@Ritchie Hornak Another thing to consider is that such devices can’t be attached to the Aptera magnetically…

It would be unlikely for Aptera to NOT have USB and 12V power ports – although there have been no specifics mentioned as yet.

• Ritchie Hornak

August 19, 2022 at 3:08 pm

The modern versions of these lights attach inside windshields behind glass. That would also preserve aerodynamics for my vehicle.

These systems have an energy draw with their own fuse. I’d like to see an unfused 12 volt source for similar systems.

• Mark Salyzyn

August 19, 2022 at 5:47 pm

I know what you likely meant, fused matched to a wire gauge feed. A set of spare slots in the fuse panel.

But to be clear, never have an unfused wire, especially for automotive. The bus bar from the 350v battery better be fused (i.e. three separate 100A circuits for AWD). The 12V tap better be fused to match the wire gauge at least, and for each circuit it is feeding, with an upstream fuse to the panel to protect it. Even with electronics with switches, but they could be unfused if they have current limiting, thermal limiting and short circuit protection (ie automotive class VFET with integrated protection).

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now