All about Launch Edition

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions All about Launch Edition

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions All about Launch Edition

• All about Launch Edition

• Gabriel Kemeny

January 3, 2023 at 3:56 pm

Given the email recently from Aptera (some of it below), it seems like:

Delta-> Launch Edition (and forget the Paradigm nomenclature?)

Some more info may trickle out between now and the Jan 20 webinar.

“At the end of 2022 we finalized our production-intent design for Aptera, Delta. For the first time, we’re showcasing the union of the continuous improvements we made throughout our Alpha, Beta, and Gamma development phases. This is important, because Delta will pave the way for the Launch Edition Aptera: our first and most exclusive vehicles we’ll start production on.

To help us ramp up our production volume more quickly and as part of Aptera’s ethos of simplicity and efficiency, our Launch Edition vehicles will have one unified configuration.

On January 20, 2023, we will showcase our production-intent design and announce our Launch Edition’s unique specifications and revolutionary capabilities in a YouTube webinar. Join us for the global reveal where we’ll outline the core technologies that will make your solar electric dreams come true and the strategies we’re employing to make solar mobility a reality for all.”

• Uncle Dirt

January 3, 2023 at 4:51 pm

I think this quote is very interesting…”To help us ramp up our production volume more quickly and as part of Aptera’s ethos of simplicity and efficiency, our Launch Edition vehicles will have one unified configuration.”

• Jonah Jorgenson

January 4, 2023 at 10:02 am

Yes, interesting.

Possibly a hint that one exterior color, one interior scheme, one battery size (I think we know that – 400 mile version), maybe no off road modifications, no enhanced audio or camping packages. We know no SafetyPilot at first. Also no all wheel vehice.

All keeps production simple and cheap as only a subset of inventory needs to be ordered, delivered, and paid for. That also simplifies testing as only one variant needs to go throug safety testing and validation before retail production and disstribution.

I suspect we will have information on 01/20/23 from the live web session.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by  Jonah Jorgenson. Reason: update content
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by  Jonah Jorgenson. Reason: corrected spelling
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by  Gabriel Kemeny.
    • Dennis Swaney

January 4, 2023 at 11:19 am

Sounds like a “take it or leave it” requirement and if it doesn’t have what you ordered, you lose your place in line. Hopefully, they’ll just pass over to the next in line and you stay where you are in the queue.

If they really wanted simplicity, they would do away with the 250, 600, 1,000 mile, off-road, and AWD versions altogether and just have the Sol White with full solar. Oh also do away with the Safety Pilot option. Perhaps they could salvage the 600 mile reservations by replacing both it and the 400 mile version with a 500 mile model using a slightly smaller 600 mile battery pack.

• Jonah Jorgenson

January 4, 2023 at 3:47 pm

Left out two of the more valuable benefits of a single configuration approach from the above list. Quicker up the learning curve for assembly if only one configuration and fewer defects (Better early quality) as the assembly teams get metter at doing their job and make fewer errors.

• Michael Marsden

January 4, 2023 at 10:17 am

> Also no all wheel vehice.

Apparently the 3WD option is significantly more popular than the 2WD. Personally I find that surprising given that the 2WD performance is already extremely good. So if they are chasing the most popular configuration, then they may have that in the launch configuration.

Similarly, the launch config might also include the all-solar option, given that is also the most popular pick.

… however, the paradigm edition (which we previously thought would be the launch configuration) has 2WD. So is ‘launch edition’ = ‘paradigm edition’, or will that be two different configurations? Perhaps they may give people who ordered the paradigm edition the option to get 3WD.

• Jonah Jorgenson

January 4, 2023 at 3:45 pm

So, what is your source for the stats on configuration desireability? I haven’t seen anything published/official on %/numbers for configuration reservations.

• Michael Marsden

January 5, 2023 at 1:57 am

I think it was on an investment-related webinar about a month ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcqOOrBVBJs at 23 minutes 11 seconds.

I was really surprised, it goes against my intuition. The reason I was expecting the opposite was that a) the third motor will have an effect on economy (due to the extra friction from the motor at cruising speed, and the extra unsprung weight), and therefore range (but it is not known now much), b) it adds unnecessary cost onto what was already a very high performance vehicle. On the opposite side of the argument, I do see the significant benefits for people living in snowy areas.

• Karl Veit

January 18, 2023 at 12:15 pm

Which configuration goes 3.5 seconds 0-60?

• John Voules

January 18, 2023 at 12:23 pm

All wheel drive… a motor on each of the 3 wheels. From at least the 250 mile version of the vehicle & or possibly from the 400 mile version. We should get more definitive answers in the January 20th production reveal.

• Qiang Fu

January 4, 2023 at 4:59 pm

I think one important consideration for the launch edition is to meet or exceed the claimed efficiency. I guess 2WD is most likely more efficient than 3WD. It’s better to showcase the 2WD in the launch edition.

Having said that, depending on the input/output curve of the motor and the vehicle speed the efficiency is measured at, 2WD may or may not be more efficient than 3WD.

• Riley …

January 4, 2023 at 1:57 pm

Makes the most sense for them to have one option that maximizes profits. Doesn’t matter what configuration they pick, as long as the company survives.

• Jason Towne

January 4, 2023 at 2:04 pm

I understand doing a streamlined 1 configuration to get more vehicles out quickly. Hopefully that doesn’t mean those of us with reserved Aptera numbers to be completely wiped. Rather I’d like to see us skipped for now, to get the 1 configuration out the door. Then focus on more custom orders, such as what I’ve placed a reserve for.

• John Trotter

January 4, 2023 at 6:24 pm

Aptera will decide what they will build, I understand that, but I will decide what I will buy: 400 mile, AWD, safety-pilot capable (could be later software), enhanced audio (could be later backfit), full solar, black (maybe). Aptera will also decide when that combination will be built. If I live long enough, I’m in. If not ….

• David Marlow

January 5, 2023 at 2:46 am

The Launch Edition may be refering to the first 1,000 to be delivered to the Southern California area, to work out any initial problems not found or in Delta testing.

They have heavly advertised that thy will have a 1,000 mile version, but dident say when.

As with the Delta shown, the one color will most likley be Luna.

There may be a problem with Elaphe ramping up as fast with motor production, thus initialy limiting them to the two wheel drive version. It seems that the ramp up will be more that was thought, even 6 months ago.

• Jeff May

January 5, 2023 at 9:35 am

Out of all the different configuration options, I imagine that multiple exterior colors would be the easiest thing for Aptera to accommodate in early production.

If it’s just a wrap, the added cost and complexity would be minimal compared to offering multiple battery, drivetrain, or solar configurations.

• Gabriel Kemeny

January 6, 2023 at 10:16 am

From the Republic investing site in reply to a question about the first production run Chris Anthony’s reply was:

“And the first batch of production will have the full solar kit but long-term the hood and rear hatch will be an option you can choose.”

• Karl Veit

January 18, 2023 at 12:21 pm

Will all those on the reservation list have a chance to opt to pick up in CA and be given a chance to get a Launch Edition, regardless of our chosen configuration and location?

• Michael Marsden

January 19, 2023 at 5:14 am

> “Regardless of our chosen configuration and location?”

As far as configuration is concerned, you can keep changing that as often as you like, up to the point where they finalise the order. So maybe swap it to the launch config if you are in a hurry, then swap it back once other options start to become available.

• James G

January 7, 2023 at 4:06 pm

“This is important, because Delta will pave the way for the Launch Edition Aptera: our first and most exclusive vehicles we’ll start production on.”

Isn’t the Delta (and the earlier Gamma mule) the tri-motor/AWD variant..Take note of the wordings “most exclusive”.

Could the Launch Ed, possibly be of the AWD flavor..

• Craig Merrow

January 8, 2023 at 6:15 am

The efficiency of FWD vs AWD is a bit academic right now, although with the regen of the extra motor, I don’t think there will be much of a range hit. I thought I read somewhere that a dual motor Tesla had slightly better range because of this, but I might be mistaken. As the old saying goes, your mileage may vary.

• James G

January 8, 2023 at 9:46 am

Plus if you have Full Solar (lighter than the next larger battery size) trickle charging, whatever range penalty there is more or less, will be a wash. Range hit with AWD, would likely be more evident, in stock solar roof/dash config.

• Mark Salyzyn

January 9, 2023 at 1:38 am

Tesla had improved range because the two motor/transmission units had a different peak efficiency curve. Imagine using the rear motors for speeds below 40mph where it holds its peak, and the front motors for speeds above, optimizing the efficiency and range for EPA combined.

This does not work for Aptera because all three motors are identical (or are they 😉 )

• Gabriel Kemeny

January 13, 2023 at 5:48 am

Jason Hill posted this with the tag: Our launch edition Aptera is coming into focus.

• Paul Kirchner

January 13, 2023 at 7:23 am

A little storage area in there.

• RAYMOND NETTLETON

January 13, 2023 at 7:44 am

I am inline for the Luna 400 mile 2wd version with no solar on the hatch. I will likely change mine to the whatever is the launch addition. I was likely going to upgrade to the solar on the hatch anyway. I would just assume avoid the added expense of the rear motor as the performance is pretty good without, but I would take it. My vehicles are old. I need to replace something.

Sometimes special editions have custom graphics like seat stitching or the upgraded stereo as standard. It will be interesting if so of that is included. I guess we might see Jan 20th.

Who else will likely change their order to match the launch edition?

• Gabriel Kemeny

January 17, 2023 at 10:03 am

Looks like a storage area under the rear hatch floor.

• John Wiley

January 19, 2023 at 6:55 pm

Hey Jason Hill – we’re not all on social media. How about letting the rest of us in on the teasers. I’m feeling a little left out.

• Gabriel Kemeny

January 19, 2023 at 4:12 pm

A post from Jason Hill with the tag: We are ready to scale.

• Philip Raymond

January 19, 2023 at 6:39 pm

Any idea what that large vehicle with the green Aptera logo on its side in the parking space closest to the building is? I know it’s not a real picture, but it looks like an Aptera version of a Canoo.

• Michael Marsden

January 20, 2023 at 1:20 am

Looks a bit unaerodynamic for an Aptera variant, but yeah, “an Aptera version of a Canoo” describes it well. Probably just the result of a brainstorming session by the CGI artist.

• Gabriel Kemeny

January 20, 2023 at 8:18 am

In his reply to the question, Jason Hill replied that it’s not a Canoo.

• Gary Miller

January 20, 2023 at 11:39 am

Webinar take aways:

1. Single production model -very expected.

2. 400 mile range. I really wanted 1000 miles, but this is expected.

3. Steering yoke instead of a wheel. Meh, I can live with it.

4. Interior looks nice, but I may never get used to touch screens in the cockpit. I’m old.

5. Price is TBD. Yeah, I appreciate why that is, but I still want to know.

6. Fast charging is not available. I’m an electronics engineer: I understand the problem, solution and the compromise. I am also a driver. It is 300 miles one way to visit my grandson. I do not want to spend 2 or 3 hours at a charging station. I would need a different vehicle for long trips.

7. Production is in the future: 9 months after they get funding. Funding happens when it happens, and 9 months is likely optimistic. It sounds like the date is 2025, but that is utterly speculative on my part. The Aptera management will dislike speculation whether they consider it pessimistic or optimistic -or even on the money. Speculation is gonna happen anyway.

8. Overall, it is a good design. I have niggles, but then again I have niggles with my 10 year old Honda CRV that has proven itself to be a very fine and reliable vehicle. I am sticking with Aptera for another couple years.

Honda CRV niggles:

I would like my CRV to have 1 or 2 additional intermittent wiper speeds instead of 1 intermittent speed.

The CRV’s Bluetooth has not worked with anything later than the Samsung Galaxy 5 which I owned when I purchased the car.

• Gabriel Kemeny

January 25, 2023 at 4:50 pm

Another post from Jason Hill: We are ready to scale part 2…get some fleet.

Seems like a teaser for the vehicle in the background. In response to a post about the render Jason wrote: one persons rendering is another persons CAD data

• Joel Smith

January 26, 2023 at 6:07 am

And still the white interior and especially the hand-grip portions of the yoke. Surprised that doesn’t seem to have been mentioned in this thread yet. There’s going to be folks who will take a pass on the L.E. just because of that. Certainly a consideration on my part.

Maybe there’s some magic means of keeping the white upholstery clean these days that I’m just not acquainted with.

• John Voules

January 26, 2023 at 6:26 am

If it was a four seater with kids to accommodate, I would be worried. Since COVID I’ve been keeping my hands fairly clean anyways, so the yoke is no problem for me. I like the lighter interior, I believe it will look roomier and at the same time aids in my vision as I tend to put more light on everything these days.

• Michael Marsden

January 26, 2023 at 7:58 am

For the yoke, perhaps something like leather handlebar tape, for example. Note that it works best with very gentle curves rather than stronger curves. Gives an ‘old school’ look.

Viewing 1 - 19 of 19 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now