All Wheel Drive production timeline and snow

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions All Wheel Drive production timeline and snow

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions All Wheel Drive production timeline and snow

• All Wheel Drive production timeline and snow

• Justin Liu

August 9, 2022 at 7:24 pm

What do you all think about the all-wheel drive? Will it be put off later like the 1000 miles range or will it be incorporated into all Apteras as they come out? I hope for the latter, but I also have doubts about it. What do you all think? And addition to that, what do you all think about all-wheel vs front wheel only for snow?

• OZ (It’s OZ, Just OZ)

August 9, 2022 at 7:31 pm

The timeline is still unclear, but it will definitely not be on the first 1,000 vehicle produced (400 Mile versions). During the first video chat, the expected production beginning for the AWD was after all four range variants were in production. this of course may have changed, but we have nothing official.

• Eric Caldwell

August 9, 2022 at 7:56 pm

I could be mistaken, but I thought the Beta suspension chassis was AWD and that’s why it had a notably faster launch than Alpha. I’d be disappointed if the AWD models came out later, but I’d personally choose to wait for it.

I’ve driven FWD all my life, with most of that spent in snowy, mountainous places. I suspect FWD would probably be okay in the snow. Then again, there are some roads I simply choose to not take when there’s certain kinds of snow buildup because I know I’ll be sliding back down if I try. I want AWD to give me more torque and more drive power going uphill.

I’ve also seen the suggestion of obtaining the off-road package for snowy climates since there will be more clearance between where the tire makes contact with the road and the tire skirt. Given that local conditions may feature several inches of unplowed road at times, I’m for anything that gives me a little extra clearance.

• James Gatan

August 9, 2022 at 8:52 pm

Same sentiments here, Eric. I first learned how to drive via RWD cars (my Old Man’s various cars) and owned FWD cars most of my life. A very low drag, streamlined and lightweight sEV that can generate it’s own fuel/energy (via solar panels) with an AWD option, that is a fantastic and unique opportunity to own such an EV. Why not, right? Even though I live in sunny Los Angeles, I want to enjoy owning this energy efficient, sub 2,000lb 0-60 3.5sec torquey AWD “pocket rocket”. Life is short..

Yes. The rear suspension improved, “stripped” bare bones Beta mule already has AWD. So I think this variant is not far ways off from introduction. Considering too, that I’m in SoCal, with a 400mi pack (and ORK) pre order..

• kerbe2705

August 9, 2022 at 9:17 pm

@Eric Caldwell Push comes to shove, there’s no real difference between the FWD chassis/suspension and the AWD chassis/suspension: Remember, all three Alphas were mechanically identical except that Noir was AWD.

In this vehicle, adding a third motor is pretty much just a question of adding a controller, a motor, some cables, hooking into the cooling system, messing with the software and adjusting the rear suspension dampening to accept the additional weight.

• Kimberly Wilson

August 11, 2022 at 6:21 am

Maybe snow behaves like a very thick fluid, a lot thicker than air, and as such the wheel pants might help to clear the road in front of the wheels.

• Vernon Sinnott

August 13, 2022 at 1:03 pm

Snow varies a great deal. Most snowfalls in Alberta are light, fluffy (semi-arid climate) and easy to shovel. In the Maritimes snow tends to be heavier and denser because of much higher moisture content and harder to shovel. Differences in snow will effect driving differently.

• Richard Pate

August 12, 2022 at 4:50 pm

I have driven AWD Subaru Foresters for the last twenty years, so I ordered an AWD Aptera. I am just used to impeccable traction in all conditions, so a rear drive-wheel should help. My only concern is the apparent lack of weight on that rear wheel, especially if the cargo area is empty, and since the battery pack looks like it is up front.

Also, if the clearance option only involves the tire skirts having more clearance, then it may be a money saver to just get out a hack saw, trimming knife and sand paper. Could it be that simple? Or is the body actually raised a few inches too? My AWD Subaru’s all had 7″ to 8″ clearance. Maybe the AWD Aptera will come standard with a bit more ground clearance. Makes sense.

• Steven G. Bueche

August 10, 2022 at 1:04 am

I have a FWD order placed. My concern before purchase is how they control the two motors to avoid one motor pulling before the other since they’re not hooked together with an axel. I don’t want to be concerned about it bucking on every start.

If the third wheel helps prevent this, then I’ll change to an AWD.

• Mark Salyzyn

August 10, 2022 at 1:57 am

Electronics for controlling the motor is much faster than gear backlash in a differential. You need to put your concern to rest now.

• john ockert

August 13, 2022 at 6:09 am

👍

• Steven G. Bueche

August 15, 2022 at 12:37 pm

Ok my concern is rested. Having said that, how does this not apply to the three wheel then? If it’s a matter of electricity going to the wheels at the same time, why the hold up on three wheels? People below talk of dialing things in. Things like what?

I know I may be asking foolish questions but I don’t have a clear understanding of what it takes to add the third wheel.

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Steven G. Bueche

August 15, 2022 at 12:44 pm

As much as I’m with you on this sadly, I fear we may be waiting until Christmas of 2023 before any three wheelers are shipped. If you take 365 days, minus Sundays, minus 20 holidays, times 40 cars a day that’s 11,720 by years end (2023)

With reservations closing in to 30,000 at which point does Aptera say, “We could do three wheelers or crank out more of these money makers instead”

I know we all want Aptera to bring in some revenue, myself included. I’m just trying to figure out where 3 wheelers will fit in the que.

• Gary Greenway

August 10, 2022 at 5:48 am

The AWD versions will be delayed a bit. There are several reasons for this.

1. Aptera needs to get the initial cars out into southern California to work out the bugs and keep them close for repair and/or modifications. Keeping the design simple makes this more manageable.

2. Aptera needs to initially get the most cars out the door with the fewest parts to get some much needed revenue. Smaller batteries and fewer motors works better in a parts and capital constrained environment.

3. Tuning a 3 wheel drive Electronic Stability Control system is a pretty new undertaking. Elaphe has a lot of experience in 4 wheel cars but none with 3 wheels. Computer modeling of expected vehicle dynamics will only take them so far. It will need to be refined on actual cars in actual conditions before its ready for the mass market. That means testing in all conditions and seasons. I expect they can have it dialed in by spring 2023.

• Eric Caldwell

August 10, 2022 at 9:25 am

If I see my Aptera by Spring 2023 with where I am in the queue, I’d consider that a major win. I’ll be happy if I have it in a year.

I’ll definitely wait for the AWD to be tuned in.

• Bart Cunningham

August 11, 2022 at 2:42 am

Spring 2023…yea that would be awesome!

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now