Animals dangerous with three wheels?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Animals dangerous with three wheels?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Animals dangerous with three wheels?

• Animals dangerous with three wheels?

kerbe2705 updated 1 month, 3 weeks ago 5 Members · 9 Posts
  • Jon Irvin

May 8, 2022 at 12:09 am

If you accidently hit an animal with your rear wheel on a highway, would there be a high chance of it causing a more dramatic accident?

• Llewellyn Evans

May 8, 2022 at 12:18 am

If you only hit it with the back wheel, then it fit under the car easily enough.

I see a problem hitting a wombat or an echidna ….. one is like hitting a boulder and the other is caltrops.

• Llewellyn Evans

May 8, 2022 at 12:25 am

At least if you hit something with the back wheel on the freeway, there is no lateral force … the back of the car goes up and down but there is no sideways force.

• Curtis Cibinel

May 8, 2022 at 12:57 am

The space between the wheel pod and body is a spot that an unfortunate deer could do (and recieve) a lot of damage. On most vehicles the radiator, windshield and dents is a typical worst case repair scenario from a deer. For an Aptera the suspension would be majorly damaged. I also worry about this space for pedestrian safety.

• kerbe2705

May 8, 2022 at 8:14 am

In the production version the connection between the body and the front wheel will be two metal “wings” (which are partially visible on the Beta prototype). The actual suspension componentry is in-board, inside the body.

• Curtis Cibinel

May 8, 2022 at 10:45 am

A 300-400 lb deer stuck between the body and wheel pod would quickly shred through the plastic aero covers and likely bend or even break the suspension arms. It would be a gruesome sight. I have the same concern for pedestrian safety; a car hitting something is generally a large blunt impact then thing deflect away; being trapped under is a brutal thought.

• kerbe2705

May 8, 2022 at 9:07 pm

Modern vehicles need to pass the “Moderate Overlap” test in which the front quarter of the vehicle impacts with an immovable object. In most vehicles, the front wheel assembly shears off to absorb the force and not allow the impacted object to enter the cabin. I assume that Aptera will behave in a similar fashion.

I don’t know if Aptera will do more or less damage to pedestrians and/or animals than a similarly-sized vehicle with in-body front wheels – but one can assume that the pedestrian and/or animal will fare worse than the vehicle.

• kerbe2705

May 8, 2022 at 8:16 am

Aptera’s rear wheel is fully-suspended. It should behave like any other wheel hitting a static obstruction: Up and over. The rear of the Aptera doesn’t behave like a pogo stick…

• Ling Cha

May 8, 2022 at 5:59 pm

Just wondering with the aerodynamic shape of the Aptera if a deer would more likely get tackled and slide over or around than a full force in the windshield kind of fatal collision one hears about?

In the same vein, I got rid of my eBike recently because a dog that ran loose in the neighborhood (and bit a pedestrian too one day) seemed to find the whining sound of my electric motor particularly tantalizing and he would jump right under my front wheel and chase me endlessly. I loved the bike but at 70 years old am too old for broken bones or broken neck or anxious encounters! LOL..maybe i should move to a city and ride the bus or subway, but there are encounters there too, aren’t there?

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  Ling Cha.
Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now