Another Marketing Angle – The Hot Hatch Market

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Another Marketing Angle – The Hot Hatch Market

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Another Marketing Angle – The Hot Hatch Market

• Another Marketing Angle – The Hot Hatch Market

• Ray Holan

April 13, 2022 at 11:26 am

Aptera’s marketing has put the vehicle’s impressive 0-60 mph times (est. 3.5 seconds to 5.5 seconds depending upon FWD or AWD and battery size) in the back row while the “solar revolution” and “good for climate change” angle is up on the main stage with a full orchestra.

This article from Road and Track got me thinking about the appeal of performance:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a39714528/2023-toyota-gr-corolla-orders-demand/

If, as the article suggests, folks will be lining up to drop $32K+ on something that is anticipated to deliver a 5 second 0-60 time (haven’t seen final road test figures for a U.S. model yet), why aren’t we making more noise about the performance of the upcoming Aptera models? Even the slowest Aptera model is supposed to do 5.5 seconds for a 0-60.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m one of those guys who was recycling before it was hip. I’ve got solar panels on my roof, my primary vehicle is a hybrid, and I’m frequently shaming my wife about how many paper towels she uses in the kitchen. Yet, I get a kick out of blasting down a freeway on-ramp once in a while. Forgive me, I have sinned;)

My point is that there’s a significant market segment out there in transportation land that is attracted to the kind of performance that an Aptera can deliver. Yes, whenever there’s a ride-along youtube video, there’s comments from the passenger seat about how quick it is, yet I’m not hearing much about Aptera performance in all the official marketing noise. Aptera feeds both sides of my psyche: efficiency and performance. Strikes me as a missed opportunity for Aptera to stay mum about the cheap thrills I believe an Aptera can deliver.

That’s my two cents. What do you all think?

• John Malcom

April 13, 2022 at 12:03 pm

I AGREE!

In discussions at the few EV related events I have attended, those that are interested in the Aptera are impressed with its performance, especially when taken in the context of its efficiency. Among my work colleagues, engineers and business people in an EV product organization, I get teased about the Aptera being the Miata of the EV world. Not a bad analogy. All reluctantly admit that the performance is awesome, especially considering the vehicle’s efficiency. Many drive expensive ICE performance cars and reluctantly acknowledge that even the two wheel drive Aptera could beat them in a 0-60 race. These are mature, responsible, people that are concerned about the environment, but know that buying an efficient vehicle will not go far to solving the big problems of environmental damage caused by industry and government neglect.

The Aptera has insane performance at such a low price, a great value proposition on top of efficiency. I would like to see Aptera leverage the performance feature at least as much as the environment pitch.

• Ben From Cincinnati

April 13, 2022 at 12:13 pm

Marketing? Are you kidding? This vehicle already sells itself. Aptera just needs to show they can put a reliable product in the hands of consumers, then they will have no trouble selling. Most of the naysayers out there whisper vaporware. Best marketing tool is a good product in the hands of happy consumers. 😊 I can’t wait to be one of those happy owners!

• Joshua Rosen

April 13, 2022 at 12:28 pm

I’d say it’s premature to worry about this as a marketing angle. Hot hatches are a dime a dozen in the EV world, it takes a determined effort to not get neck snapping acceleration with electric motors. Aptera has some completely unique features that won’t be duplicated by any mass market manufacturer,

1) Extreme efficiency. The best competing cars will be in the 4-5 mile/KWh, Aptera is twice that. What’s more the focus of the legacy manufacturers is on trucks which will get 2 miles per KWh or worse (much worse in the case of the Hummer).

2) More range than anyone, and far more range per buck. Nobody but nobody can offer a 1000 mile range and 600 miles will only be seen in very expensive (> $150K) cars in the next few years.

3) Meaningful solar power. There are a couple of other companies that are putting solar cells on their cars but those cars will be able to go no more than a few blocks on solar power with the single exception of Lightyear, but the Lightyear cost 3X the price of an Aptera.

4) Unique styling. Everything that’s on the market is yet another SUV and all SUVs look the same. Aptera is a spaceship, nobody else is going to build a spaceship.

As Wee Willie Keeler said, “hit em where they a’int”. Aptera is hitting them where they a’int.

Once they have something to sell then of course it makes sense to add the hot car angle. I’m hoping that the handling will be really good and that it will be a modern take on the old sports cars of the 50s and 60s. Personally I don’t care about the acceleration, I can’t floor my Tesla without getting dizzy and that’s a second slower than the Aptera. But the fact is it will be extremely quick and if it’s also agile then they would want to emphasize this fact.

• my_discord_number_is_0328 bloody stupid

April 16, 2022 at 6:54 am

2 small aptera equal price of a hot hatch

• my_discord_number_is_0328 bloody stupid

April 16, 2022 at 6:55 am

besdies, inline 4 turbo dont sound all that good

• Dave Mckenna

April 18, 2022 at 7:29 am

I’m a 65 year old motorhead, excited by the Aptera’s efficiency and solar charging. Ordering the three motor version was a no brainer, specifically for the 3.5 second 0 to 60 acceleration. I’m expecting my Aptera to be lots of fun to drive, and will be replacing my Miata.

• Jonah Jorgenson

April 18, 2022 at 8:31 am

My grandfather had a miata. He would have given up his wife before his miata. He is now an Aptrera fan for the performance. He says the Aptera is the miata of EVs. He is 79. To my grandfather, the Aptera is the ultimate hot hatch.

• Ray Holan

April 18, 2022 at 3:00 pm

Seems like we’re getting a “it’s an EV Miata” trend going;) When I squint at an Aptera, I see a mash-up of a Plymouth Prowler and a first generation Honda Insight.

• Jonah Jorgenson

April 18, 2022 at 3:04 pm

Ah….but it is the spirit of the Miata that live in the Aptera

Viewing 1 - 7 of 7 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now