Aprera Progress Update on Aptera Owners Club

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aprera Progress Update on Aptera Owners Club

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aprera Progress Update on Aptera Owners Club

• Aprera Progress Update on Aptera Owners Club

• John Malcom

December 18, 2021 at 5:19 pm

Some good information on the YouTube Aptera Owners Club site extracted from the 12/08/2021 Ambassadors conference call. The owner of the site is an Ambassador and got permission from Sarah to share some of the discussion. So thanks to both for making it possible for us to have this information. URL at the end of the post if you don’t routinely access the Owners Club.

Answers addressing some of the common discussion threads:

– Hope for V2H, V2G, and connection of external solar cells. Design of charging system will include “Room” for these functions

– No heat pump for first production Apterae. Development cycle to long (2+ years) Resistance heating most likely along with pumping heat and cooling through the seats as a part of the design

– Unfortunate, but there will be a mirror on the drivers side for U.S. Compliance

– Betas being custom built for testing functions. Some will be suitable for multiple systems testing. Some Betas being built for crash testing.

– Betas may be evolutionary (Enhancement from Beta state to near production status)

– Previous occupant of production facility now completely cleared out.

– Production most likely delayed until late 2022 or early 2023 due to difficulty of signing parts agreements

– Staffing up engineering resources with a target of perhaps 150 more

A lot more there in two videos. All on the forum should view both as there is a lot of information that will be of interest. Hopefully, Aptera will put all that is there and more in an update for forum members

Watch the whole Q&A Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyAUFuK-p_U&t=1s

• Johnny Acree Acree

December 19, 2021 at 6:15 am

Thank you, finally some info I think I can believe.

• Alain Chuzel

December 19, 2021 at 1:10 pm

Regrettably, I don’t believe these statements by Mr. Anthony.

7:20 “…in a couple years may have solar panels that are 30% efficient….”

(The highest efficiency commercially available solar panel available today is only 22.7% at STC. We’ll be lucky to have 24% by this time in 2023)

15:42 “…solar panels actually turn into resistors when you’re not using the power out of them….”

(NO!)

• V Pilot

December 19, 2021 at 1:23 pm

Multi p-n junction cells employing a selenium interlayer are as high as 40% efficient. Just saying

• Alain Chuzel

December 19, 2021 at 1:43 pm

Sorry I wasn’t a bit clearer. I’m well aware of the efficiency of some of the $gazillion per watt solar panels as I have had the pleasure of building some myself. See below pic for an example. I’m pretty sure, however, Mr. Anthony was suggesting 30% AFFORDABLE solar panels. Don’t you?

• V Pilot

December 19, 2021 at 1:57 pm

Yes, I’m sure but you can’t count it out. Look at the rate of computer speed and storage capacity advancements…3.25MHz and 16KB RAM in 1980. I think the main point was that they’re planning ahead for the possibility no matter how remote. A solar panel with no load, no circuit for electric current to circulate, just recombines the electron-hole pairs, generating heat…kind of sort of a resistor. Loosely speaking of course.

• Alain Chuzel

December 19, 2021 at 3:08 pm

Feel free to believe what you want, of course, but I believe I can count it out and I don’t believe the “main point” is that they are planning for the remotest of possibilities.

Regarding “load”, usually to turn a solar panel “off”, you present it with an INFINITE load (open circuit) which is the opposite of NO load (short circuit) but I do get the gist of what you said.

Finally, contrary to Mr. Anthony’s claim, by your “loose” definition, even if a solar panel is operating at max power it is “kind of resistor”. That is because, as I recall, there’s considerable electron-hole formation and subsequent recombination going on throughout the solar cell all the time.

• James Castaneda

June 16, 2022 at 10:18 am

Despite having the prototype now, it appears Sharp is aiming for commercial release by… 2050!?
              https://www.pv-magazine.com/2022/06/06/sharp-achieves-conversion-efficiency-of-32-65-in-flexible-lightweight-solar-module/

• Curtis Cibinel

December 19, 2021 at 1:46 pm

The solar on the car is a convenance not truly environmentally beneficial when compared to static solar. Replacing functional cells with more efficient ones vs installing roof solar will never be economically or environmentally efficient. I will be very surprised if selenium cells become cost effective for 10 years and even then it will only really make sense for new builds.

• V Pilot

December 19, 2021 at 2:04 pm

I don’t think selenium or other exotic solar cells will be…NASA’s high tech stuff. Maybe doped glass cells will.

• Alain Chuzel

December 19, 2021 at 3:10 pm

I more than agree!

• Jon_J

December 19, 2021 at 7:41 pm

I feel the statement on potentially 30% efficient solar panels is being taken a little out of context. Mr Anthony was elaborating on building more capacity into solar conversion hardware to be able to take in more power than what is currently budgeted for with the solar panels being built into the vehicle. The point of his statement wasn’t to promise the efficiency of future solar panels.

• Alain Chuzel

December 20, 2021 at 4:39 am

Assuming your comment was aimed at me, I believe you’re reading too much into what I said. I simply am saying I don’t believe Mr. Anthony’s statement that we may have 30% (affordable) solar panels by this time in 2023. People may disagree with that and that’s fine.

• Jonah Jorgenson

June 16, 2022 at 11:13 am

NASA engineering concurs with your statement

• Russell Fauver

December 20, 2021 at 5:42 am

In the video at 15:15 he talks about taking “48 volts from the Aptera…”

Does that mean the vehicle will operate on 48 volts? Or maybe he’s talking about the voltage output of the solar array?

• Alain Chuzel

December 20, 2021 at 1:02 pm

Not sure this will help but I’m pretty sure the nominal battery/motor controller/motor voltage will NOT be 48 volt.

Hopefully others will be able to give you a more confident answer.

• V Pilot

December 20, 2021 at 1:14 pm

The nominal voltage of the motors is 300v, so somewhere around that number

• V Pilot

December 20, 2021 at 2:37 pm

In the “Makers Series-Battery” Luke stated 400v pack

• Alain Chuzel

December 20, 2021 at 2:55 pm

Russel, In case you don’t see V pilot’s responses to me, he said that in the “Makers Series-Battery” YouTube video, Aptera’s battery guy (Luke) says battery pack is 400 volts (I confirmed by watching the video myself – it’s mentioned at about 52 seconds in)

• Russell Fauver

December 20, 2021 at 9:10 pm

Thanks for the link.

He must have been talking about the solar output when he mentioned 48 volts.

• Llewellyn Evans

December 21, 2021 at 1:29 am

Hi Russel, The Aptera will have a 300 or 400v battery.

The mention of 48V is because that is the output voltage for many battery packs for solar systems. My guess is that they would use a buck converter to drop from 400V to nominally 48V. Then you can plug in the car and recharge your house battery etc.

• Ray Holan

December 20, 2021 at 8:11 am

Thanks for your excellent summary, John. I attended the meeting and I can confirm your bullet points. Merry Christmas to all. Here’s hoping by some Christmas miracle Santa can squeeze a production-ready Aptera into my stocking!

• John Malcom

December 20, 2021 at 9:53 am

Ray, I am not sure I would hold my breath for that…….

• Ray Holan

December 21, 2021 at 5:21 pm

LOL. Me either, John.

• Joel Smith

December 20, 2021 at 11:24 am

I cannot help but be a bit disheartened by the failure to achieve the previously forecast expectation of initial deliveries by Christmas 2021 (essentially now). More personally, it is looking increasingly unlikely that I will get mine around my next birthday (3rd quarter) as I had hoped. Doubting even the 2022 delivery date still shown in my profile.

But I cannot fault their transparency regarding the reasons why. Real and confounding obstructions seem to keep popping up.

I guess the optimistic catch-phrase of the day will have to be that good things come to those who wait.

• Curtis Cibinel

December 21, 2021 at 11:34 am

COVID and general difficulty in production scaling is the issue. Rivian spent 1.2 billion dollars in the last quarter and made 600 vehicles. Aggressive goals are necessary but production is hard. Simple engineering and a low machine requirements should help them. Battery supply, Elaphe’s ability to scale and the time/labour required for vinyl wrap are all a potential risk to bottleneck production for Aptera. Even if they only get a few 100 cars in customers hands next year I would consider that a win.

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now