Aptera and Amory Lovins

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera and Amory Lovins

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera and Amory Lovins

• Aptera and Amory Lovins

Nick Michell updated 5 months ago 4 Members · 5 Posts
  • Nick Michell

January 27, 2022 at 11:22 am

Rocky Mt. Institute (RMI) was founded by Amory Lovins, the guru’s guru when it comes to energy efficiency (he’s be at it for about 50 years, I think). In his latest article on the RMI site, he called out Aptera as one of the new breed of efficient vehicles — and noted that he’s an advisor to the company! This is really great — as an energy nerd myself, this guy has been one of my idols for decades 😀.

Six Solutions to Battery Mineral Challenges

Oh yeah, and it’s a good article about batteries, too.

• This discussion was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by  Nick Michell.
  • Randy J

January 27, 2022 at 11:54 am

As I’m now owning several thousand shares I do hope the “niche” he speaks of is a big one :o)

5. Efficient Vehicles

A major variable overlooked by nearly all analysts is the efficiency of the vehicle that’s being electrified. Advantageous reductions in mass, aerodynamic drag, and rolling resistance—improvements in the physics of the vehicle rather than the efficiency of its electric powertrain—can cut required battery capacity for the same driving range by 2–3´. BMW’s 2013–22 i3, for example, paid for its ultralight carbon-fiber body by needing fewer batteries to move less mass, and by simpler manufacturing (with one-third the normal investment and water and half the normal energy, space, and time). Projected battery capacity per vehicle is therefore not a fixed number but should be parameterized to platform efficiency. What is that uncounted variable’s potential range? In September 2021, 2–3´—and later this year, severalfold more!

That’s because a further ~2–4´ efficiency gain is being demonstrated by a new generation of vehicles, entering the market in 2022, and so efficient that they can power a normal commuting cycle just by solar cells on their upper surface. (Disclosure: I advise two such firms—aptera.us at 343 mpge with two seats, and lightyear.one at 251 mpge with five.) Both designs can improve further. Such vehicles need proportionately smaller batteries and less or no recharging infrastructure. In round numbers, they’re 2–3´ more efficient than, say, a Tesla Model 3, one of the most efficient EVs on the market. Together, these efficiency gains can use batteries up to an order of magnitude (roughly, a factor of ten) more efficiently than many EVs now on the market, and could reduce their battery needs correspondingly, all with uncompromised safety and attractive driver attributes. The Aptera NeverCharge is a niche vehicle, but Dutch firm Lightyear’s is mainstream. Both are important, and there will be more.

• Gabriel Kemeny

January 28, 2022 at 6:22 am

Lightyear might be mainstream in terms of shape, but certainly not in availability and price.

• Nick Michell

January 28, 2022 at 9:26 am

Yeah, I had to go look up Lightyear. They are trying to get things going the way Tesla did, by selling a first version at a ridiculous premium, and then hope to come out with a “Lightyear Two” at a more affordable price. This seems to be what all the EV startups are trying to do — “Hey, let’s follow Tesla’s playbook!”. I don’t know that I’d bet on that strategy working again, I think Aptera has a much better plan.

• Ray Holan

January 28, 2022 at 6:44 am

Thanks, Nick. I’m a big Amory Lovins fan also. I was a member of a local “Entrepreneurs for Sustainability” group whose chairperson regularly made pilgrimages to RMI to sit at the fee of the “guru”.

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now