Aptera Article in Road & Track Magazine

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera Article in Road & Track Magazine

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera Article in Road & Track Magazine

• Aptera Article in Road & Track Magazine

Ray Holan updated 6 months, 1 week ago 5 Members · 7 Posts
  • Ray Holan

December 27, 2021 at 9:05 am

A thoughtful and complimentary article about Aptera in one of my favorite gearhead magazines. Previously included in the newsstand version of the magazine, but now available online:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a38292917/the-solar-powered-aptera-aims-to-see-the-light-of-day/

There’s a lot to like about this article. The R&T writer asks pointed questions and gets direct answers from Aptera spokespersons that are then quoted in the article. The article has a welcome sheen of professionalism that rises above the well-meaning but less-than-well-polished posts of YouTube channels. I’m not knocking the value of YouTube or the sincerity of YouTube channel hosts, just pointing out there’s an additional level of credibility to be had from an article penned by a mainstream auto news outlet like Road & Track.

• Guy SKEER

December 27, 2021 at 10:24 am

Thanks, Ray! Even the Pics are useful.

• kerbe2705

December 27, 2021 at 11:55 am

The speed of progress: We now know that the swing-arm rear suspension is a thing of the past!

• Ray Holan

December 27, 2021 at 12:56 pm

Yep. It’s a moving target for sure!

• John Malcom

December 27, 2021 at 2:41 pm

I think a typical motor mag article. Light on detailed or deep tech for the general audience that reads these publications.

In the interest of balance, I will take a moment to defend the You Tube’rs. They are not so concerned about satisfying an editor that is trying to craft the article for the general public. They are more interested in the “guy on the street” perspective and I think, generally, more technically knowledgeable and able to speak to a potential technically astute Aptera audience. They specialize in EVs rather than the general automobile industry and have more relative content.

Even the Wall Street Journal article (A publication focused in the financial world) had more technical content than the Motor Trend piece.

The target market for EV or for that matter almost anything now are millennials and Gen Z. This group is more likely to seek information off of the internet and particularly You Tube to inform their purchasing decisions. I also think that Aptera oriented techies appreciate technical content over professionally written general content.

Of course, there is a place for both kinds of reports to appeal to the general as well as EV oriented audience in the target market segment and the general vehicle market.

• Peter Jorgensen

December 28, 2021 at 7:22 am

This is true! I’m 26 and an engineer and my favorite sources of information are Insideevs.com, Electrek.com, Bjorn Nyland (Youtube) and Out Of Spec Motoring (Youtube). All are EV specific.

• Ray Holan

December 28, 2021 at 12:10 pm

Yes, I’m a fan of insideevs.com also. I agree that there’s a place for YouTube and Road and Track type news outlets. They are both part of the solution to spread the word about Aptera. Clearly they have different appeals to different segments of the buying public. In my book, wider appeal is better appeal. Techie and gear heads can peacefully coexist.

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now