Aptera is Pioneering Solar Vehicle Tech.

Aptera Community Solar EV Industry News Aptera is Pioneering Solar Vehicle Tech.

Aptera Community Solar EV Industry News Aptera is Pioneering Solar Vehicle Tech.

• Aptera is Pioneering Solar Vehicle Tech.

• David Marlow

July 26, 2022 at 11:46 pm

However, they have learned that it is not as easy as they first thought.

While the goal is to make Aptera with a solar system that will last 20 years, with the ability to repair damage. My suggestion is to produce a system that works while giving customers a realist expectation of where the current tech is at. Also making it up gradable. There is an old and true saying “don’t let better be the enemy of good enough” .

• This discussion was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by  Norman Roberts.
  • Riley ________________________________

July 27, 2022 at 12:03 am

I imagine that aptera Is putting additional effort into the solar design because they have the extra time due to supply chain issues causing difficulties In starting production. If everything else had gone smoothly they wouldn’t have postponed deliveries to make sure the solar can actually last 20 years.

• Alain Chuzel

July 27, 2022 at 6:36 am

“Aptera is pioneering solar vehicle tech. However, they have learned that it is not as easy as they first thought.”

These words, more or less, have been said for going on a year now…..

• John Malcom

July 27, 2022 at 7:13 am

Aptera has done an amazing job with both engineering and business management in the most difficult of times.

But “Murphy” is always waiting in the wings. Engineering simulation has come a long way in expediting design but it is not perfect and when something is actually built and tested it is seldom “Spot on”. There is a rule in R&D that states the last 20% of development takes 80% of the effort.

• Alain Chuzel

July 27, 2022 at 8:11 am

Not trying to be argumentative but I do genuinely want to know how is it we know “Aptera has done an amazing job with both engineering and business management…”?

• Paul Schultz

July 27, 2022 at 4:32 pm

We don’t. It is based on limited information about what is actually going on behind the scenes. What happens on this forum is heavily weighted with assumptions and speculation. I like the discussions. But, we have to keep in mind what we are doing… we are keeping each other occupied until we have a true product to get our hands on.

• Joel Mason

July 27, 2022 at 8:37 am

Maybe consider the first attempt made to produce this type vehicle by the same people over a decade ago. Now consider the leaps in tech between then and now. Now consider having your Aptera 10 years from now. No doubt tech will reach a level, provided we don’t destroy a viable habitat between then a now, that will outstrip current systems being used to build this vehicle. Modular construction is wise as is replaceable and upgradable systems as this will keep “old” Aptera’s from being consigned to junk yards. Want a brief history of automotive history? Just walk through a vehicle junk yard and see all the old ICE machines rotting away. What a waste.

• Michael Kahlow

July 29, 2022 at 12:50 pm

I think the most likely things to go obsolete (as opposed to fulfilling their useful lifetime – like batteries) will be the in-car charging infrastructure. We’re hooked on the ICE infrastructure – fill-and-go, and some people won’t give away their ICE until something similar happens for EVs.

DC fast charging runs up to 350 kW right now, with predictions of up to 1 MW. At 500 kW, I could charge my Bolt for 100 miles in 3 minutes (if the Bolt charged that fast, it doesn’t). I can see my Bolt becoming obsolete really quickly because it only charges at 55 kW, and so it will take 36 minutes to charge 100 miles (3 mi/kW-hr x 55 kW = 165 mi/hr charging).

If the Aptera charges at 50 kW, which is the current spec, it will take 8 – 10 min to charge for 100 miles (10 mile/kW-hr x 50 kW = 500 miles/hr charging), or about a half hour to charge for 300 miles. A lot better than the Bolt, but still slow.

If the Aptera were able to charge at 150 kW, now that would be incredible. I know that would cost $$$ extra too.

(Yes, yes, I know, solar and all that… but here in flyover land, the distances between cities are kinda large, and the sun doesn’t shine all that much.)

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now