Aptera is running ads

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera is running ads

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera is running ads

• Aptera is running ads

Henry Kitt updated 2 months ago 15 Members · 20 Posts
  • Joshua Rosen

May 2, 2022 at 6:18 am

An ad for Aptera just popped up on one of my Youtube feeds. It seems premature to start running ads before they have a car to deliver especially since they already have a couple of years backlog.

• Bob Kirchner

May 2, 2022 at 7:17 am

I got one also.

I don’t know much about how the Almighty Algorithm works, but if it is targeting ads at viewers who are already interested/informed about Aptera, is it really a good use of an advertising budget?

• Gary Greenway

May 2, 2022 at 7:32 am

Google has identified you have an interest in Aptera and hence, electric vehicles. So, you will get Aptera ads. They don’t care if you have one ordered or never buy one. The ad brings them revenue.

• Alain Chuzel

May 2, 2022 at 8:26 am

I think Joshua’s point was that “It seems premature to start running ads before they have a car to deliver especially since they already have a couple of years backlog.”

• Joshua Rosen

May 2, 2022 at 8:47 am

Yes my point was about the timing, whether they should ever run ads at all is a separate conversation. My concern was that they were spending money on ads now instead of a year from now. Right now I would hope that they would spend every penny they have on getting the cars out the door. They have 20,000 reservations that should keep them busy for a long time and once the cars show up on the street they’ll generate buzz on their own.

• Alain Chuzel

May 2, 2022 at 8:53 am

👍

• Ray Holan

May 2, 2022 at 7:15 pm

I agree, Joshua. With 20K pre-orders on the books, seems to me the priority (i.e. dollars) should be on the product, not the advertising of the product — especially when the product has not yet been produced. Maybe there’s some grand strategy underpinning this that is unbeknownst to the rest of us?

• Curtis Cibinel

May 2, 2022 at 9:54 am

The Tesla approach of never paying for advertising has proven very effective. Youtube attention has been reasonably high and will undoubtedly increase as the vehicle first gets in consumers hands. I don’t see why Aptera should be paying to advertise at this point either.

• Gary Greenway

May 2, 2022 at 9:29 am

Oh yes, that too. The more people that hear about Aptera, (especially those that preorder) the more potential investors too. Build the buzz.

• Jon_J

May 2, 2022 at 1:37 pm

Correct. Can’t know if the ads are worthwhile without a cost/benefit analysis and we aren’t privy to the data that such analysis relies on. The ads can foreseeably increase interest, bring in more reservations and bring in more investors. Since the listed stock price is surely somewhat dependent upon the number of reservations, increasing interest will drive a positive trend in the stock price which is an expected and favorable trend.

Aptera is trying to make this all happen on a small budget. We cannot assume they have all the money they need to accomplish everything. Trying to address everyone’s newfound challenges to yokes, wraps and everything else won’t be without cost. Much better to bring in more money than to run out and go belly-up.

• kerbe2705

May 2, 2022 at 3:02 pm

Re. Stock: Until there’s an IPO or a SPAC and the stock becomes listed on an exchange, the price/value of the stock is determined by the company selling the shares.

• Jon_J

May 2, 2022 at 3:45 pm

True, it is, but it isn’t willy nilly or wishful thinking. There is a methodology that is applied.

• Gabriel Kemeny

May 2, 2022 at 1:45 pm

It seems to me all the marketing at this point is to pump up the reservation numbers as far as possible in anticipation of the IPO – that anyone at the end of the reservations line won’t get their vehicle for 2+ years doesn’t seem to matter.

• IA -1

May 2, 2022 at 2:07 pm

Joshua, your 2 year backlog assumption is based on their single assembly plant production rate.

My assumption is that if they have enough orders they could open other assembly plants anywhere in USA or in the world within a 6-10 month time frame. The production rate of those plants would of course depend on the parts supply chain.

After all, that is the Aptera’s business model, instead of building cars in one (or few) large plants, they would have a lot of micro plants and would just ship the parts to them.

Increased reservation numbers would only speed up the opening of the other micro assembly plants.

I also assume that their marketing budget is appropriate and they are not wasting any large amounts of money on it.

• Philip Raymond

May 3, 2022 at 12:21 am

Youtube advertising charges are a drop in the bucket when compared to traditional broadcast advertising. Basically, Aptera pays between 10 to 30 cents for every click on their ad, on average about $10 a day. I doubt that would impact their car development budget in any conceivable way. Here’s a link to how it works….

https://www.webfx.com/social-media/pricing/how-much-does-youtube-advertising-cost/

• Konijnerd the Great

May 3, 2022 at 12:26 am

visibility also matters, i used google advertising before. Your 10 dollar a day average can be a whole other number.

• Philip Raymond

May 3, 2022 at 12:30 am

Of course, it all depends on the amount of clicks (engagement). Like it or not, Aptera is still relatively unknown to the masses. I think this is a very economical way to generate much more awareness of the brand (aka-social media buzz) and that can only help, not hinder Aptera.

• John Malcom

May 3, 2022 at 6:58 am

Always glad to see Aptera in the public eye no matter how it gets there 😄

• George Hughes

May 3, 2022 at 8:32 am

I agree with that and with a little ad agency experience – media director was the title – I can tell you what you saw was/is a test.

Aptera is following the early paid registrations. They’ve done some creative work and they may be testing that for clues on what they want to do from a launch.

Advertising these days is highly data-driven. In this case, they bought ‘x’ amount of impressions – impressions are holy grail in this – and from that they can determine whether there is greater affinity for the idea from Mustang or Camaro drivers; for instance. Maybe those who like silver cars are more likely to make a reservation than owners of yellow cars. \

They may be deciding whether to really spend some money to get another 20,000 reservations. A couple of test campaigns using different creative executions may generate $500 in new reservations for every $10 spent sending message “X” to select demographic targets.

And if more reservations justify a higher IPO, let’s get more reservations.

They way you find things out in advertising these days is through social research which includes testing. It’s very effective way to understand the breadth and scope of your appeal.

For guerilla marketing, the whole goal is to find what I, a bona-fide guerilla marketer, call a mother lode and mine it like crazy. In my efforts to catch eBay in1999 with auctionuniverse.com, I found a couple of off-site message boards that were teeming with new eBay members and bought sponsorships and a presence on both. My cost per new registration was under $5 while the marketing group in the rest of the company was buying magazine and newspaper ads (we were owned by a newspaper group) which were capturing new customers at a cost five times higher.

The point is that that with social media options, there is a blurring of the lines between advertising, engagement and direct marketing. Think of them as three streams running across the countryside in parallel, limited in their ability t o move water. You can fill each stream but you don’t get big unless you exceed the banks and all streams combine to make a mighty river.

(And my favorite BS line … worked on CEO when analyzing the implications of some custom research that pointed to the more successful brands in the fishing lure and tackle business. Anyway the line – No risk it, no biscuit.)

• Henry Kitt

May 3, 2022 at 9:23 am

I believe most of the people who have reserved an Aptera till now have been Youtube junkies who are also car enthusiasts, and likely a smaller percentage from general word of mouth.

Aptera uses reservation numbers as a major metric in determining market value of the company, and with an IPO looming, the cost of utilizing PPC ads to reach more eyes will more than pay for itself when Aptera demands a higher valuation than otherwise once the IPO occurs.

Aptera can then justify the need to raise the additional capital for a faster rate of expansion than previously stated, due to overwhelming reservation numbers.

But yes, the car will sell itself once deliveries begin.

Viewing 1 - 7 of 7 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now