Aptera Model with interior on thingiverse

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera Model with interior on thingiverse

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera Model with interior on thingiverse

• Aptera Model with interior on thingiverse

• Curtis Cibinel

June 12, 2022 at 5:10 pm

I just finished and published the latest version of my model of the Aptera for 3d printing after more hours of work than I would care to admit. It is available on thingiverse (cult3d should sync by tomorrow). This includes the gamma shape announcements and beta render changes. I have also made the process of printing far simpler and made the wheels functional. Unlike official content from Aptera I included the cup holders and inevitable coffee. I am doing my first print now so fair warning issues may still exist. If successful pre-supported files will be provided soon. Designed for printing as 5 or 9 inches long. FDM printers may want to scale up further for best results.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5409483

• Karen Copher

June 12, 2022 at 6:05 pm

Great job Curtis! Thanks for sharing.

• David Marlow

June 12, 2022 at 7:24 pm

Would you be willing to sell copies?

What would a fair price be?

• Curtis Cibinel

June 12, 2022 at 7:51 pm

5 inch prints take 12 hours(30 min effort) and use about $2.50 of resin; 9 inch versions might be $6 in materials / 2 days (3 prints). I’m planning to print/paint some for Aptera owners club and other YouTubers to share to the community. My prints use a 4k photon mono sla printer and go through 2 seperate IPA cleans and manual cleanup before curing under uv. If someone really wants me to print/ship (with or without painting) I’m willing to discuss. Definitely not trying to make money at this but if something takes me 1+ hours of effort to print/ship I’d expect some compensation for time (painting is more). Once the presupprted are available (once tested in 4-5 days) they could also be sent to any generic online printing service.

5 inch – $12 usd + shipping (likely cheaper with generic printing services)

9 inch – $25 usd + shipping (likely cheaper with generic services)

5 inch painted – $30 + shipping (interior and exterior colors made to order)

9 inch painted – $50 + shipping (interior and exterior colors made to order)

Custom painting outside flat color styles (ie as threads on custom wrap/paint) can be discussed.

Note: I’m a reasonable painter with brush/airbrush but am far from the best. Anything I ship is from Kelowna bc Canada. Im a cloud architect / software developer but all materials I make are open source so anyone can provide the service I am. If someone else wants to paint/print for less I’ve got no intrest in competing.

Note 2: the coffee cup is under a non-commercial license and will be omitted from anything I print for money.

• Efrain Goody

June 13, 2022 at 9:46 am

From the picture, the quality is fairly poor/low res. On smaller prints, this shouldn’t be an issue, but with the full sized print, this would come through pretty clearly. What was your process for building this out? Did you hand sculpt the whole thing?

• Curtis Cibinel

June 13, 2022 at 12:15 pm

That is actually largely a result of how the rendering looks in lychee (meshmixer is actually worse); the wheel pant and door are smooth (I have a physical print that just finished). I did the bulk of sculpting in Adobe medium (volumetric) and part integration / minor cleanups in meshmixer. The model actually has some details which are too small to effectively print except on very large SLA printers. I did need to do some details redundantly as I unfortunately rotated the model in VR so some things like the fit of the doors was manually shaped separately left vs right. Because each time I switched between VR (volumetric) and meshmixer I lost resolution I tended to try to sculpt once and handle as much as possible in meshmixer to avoid losing resolution. The body is designed to be printed in sections so it can be larger and easier to paint (my original beta had the dash back seats and back all in 1 large piece which made accurate painting very tricky). I’ll probably make more changes to how the body sections join and update the pedals to be the round ones from the current renders later tonight before another test print

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now