Aptera – Renters Dream EV (Electric Vehicle)

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera – Renters Dream EV (Electric Vehicle)

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera – Renters Dream EV (Electric Vehicle)

• Aptera – Renters Dream EV (Electric Vehicle)

seth updated 1 year, 4 months ago 13 Members · 14 Replies
  • len

December 30, 2021 at 11:53 am

Raj,

I always like your videos.

Thanks for the calm ╮(╯_╰)╭ this world needs.

I am not a renter and am blessed with year round AZ sun for my free power, but I even have a Level II ( 32 amp) charger “ in my garage…. if I need it with my Aptera (BTW I plan the 60 kWh for some long treks)

I don’t work but I know where free public chargers are and volunteer with EV clubs efforts to try to grow the EV charging situation.

But Aptera owners that might be a renter or have the same “life situations “ will have to think about scenarios. Let’s hope there are more ????narios with their future with Aptera! ????

For those that are in the few big cities that this company serves ( for now ????) , and have their APP their service could be a nice back up!

https://www.sparkcharge.io/roadie

EV vehicles with the ability to give a complimentary booster charge to their fellow EV’er are coming!

• 993cc

December 30, 2021 at 1:46 pm

I can definitely see the advantage of being able to add 150 miles of range overnight using an extension cord thrown off the balcony or out of the bathroom window.

• fanfare-100

January 3, 2022 at 9:54 am

I once threw an extension cord off a balcony during a deep freeze in which there was a several-day power outage so that I could operate a space heater, a light and my laptop from an inverter I had in my little Mistubishi Mirage. I could get up to 1,200 Watts out of the little 3-cylinder engine in my Mirage.

• BUG

December 31, 2021 at 9:45 am

Question ; Does Charging, even with just a 15 Amp Circuit during a Cold Snap, would help the Batteries stay warm(er), and Help them work better and last Longer in Cold Climates?

• RajGiandeep

December 31, 2021 at 4:43 pm

The battery pack will be thermally managed with liquid cooling/heating. I’d imagine once charging it would heat up the pack to optimal temperature. They haven’t shared the details of their thermal management just yet though. Probably one of the beta builds they will work on in 2022.

• jacob-bunce

January 4, 2022 at 1:56 pm

That’s exactly why I got the 1000 mile battery. I’m a renter. Can’t charge at home. 1000 miles would last me more than a week, then I just visit a charging station on weekends.

• RajGiandeep

February 8, 2022 at 10:30 am

Makes sense. Less cycles on the battery too.

• joshua-rosen

February 8, 2022 at 11:05 am

The CCS charge rate is very slow, 50KW (that’s the max, you should assume the average rate will be significantly slower). It will take hours to charge 100KWh. Efficiency is what will be most important for you and for that a smaller/lighter battery would be better. The better the efficiency the fewer KWh you will use in a week. If you are in a sunny place then the solar might give you a significant percentage of your total use, if you live in a Northern location then the solar isn’t going to help much.

• peter-jorgensen

February 8, 2022 at 1:38 pm

I don’t know how much you drive – but I drive 22 miles a day and a 300 mile range battery lasts me a full week easily right now.

Also, I don’t know if all the battery packs will have 50kw DC fast charge or just the 25kwh and 40kwh battery. I wouldn’t be surprised if the 60kwh and 100kwh packs could handle a higher charge rate. We’ll have to see. That’s just conjecture on my part… But generally bigger batteries can take more charge power.

• jacob-schmugge

February 8, 2022 at 6:54 pm

Am I naughty if I have considered a gas electric generator to charge where there are no chargers? I’ve considered this for long wilderness trips. Realistically even on a gas generator you still get way better MPG.

• Riley

February 8, 2022 at 7:15 pm

My first thought when I saw aptera claim 1,000 mile range was to put a gas generator on an aerodynamic trailer and do a none stop cannonball run across the USA.

• harry-parker

February 9, 2022 at 10:49 am

Not naughty.

But I got to ask,

How many places are you planning to go to that are more than 500 miles away from an electrical outlet?

A 110 volts outlet is all you need to get 150 miles overnight. (See the FAQ.) Stay less than 3 days to fully rechange from empty at that speed.

• bryan-hendricks

September 7, 2022 at 8:19 pm

I’ve introduced the Aptera to several people. The people who have gotten the most excited about Aptera have been people who rent apartments without garages. I get the impression that “charging anxiety” is a common problem with renters who would like to go electric but will not have the convenience of home charging. I’m surprised that I haven’t noticed Aptera marketing materials that target that segment of the market.

• seth

November 27, 2022 at 2:02 pm

I definitely expect aptera to be the best for apartment dwellers. Between 40 miles per day being a max in summer, and many people driving over the average commute distance I expect many to still need at least occasional charging. Here’s hoping the charge networks keep up with demand.

or to reply.