Aptera SEVs in Taiwan

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera SEVs in Taiwan

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera SEVs in Taiwan

• Aptera SEVs in Taiwan

• James OMarr

August 2, 2022 at 6:57 pm

Aptera to produce the SEVs in Taiwan, 20,000 units per year?

• Joshua Rosen

August 2, 2022 at 6:58 pm
  • Christopher Barrett

August 3, 2022 at 5:44 am

In electrek, Article from yesterday. Maybe the investment community will take notice. Aptera is now out of the gate, run baby run. Zero to where, who knows! The quiet phase appears to be upon us, where the company will proceed with caution, in seeking the blue bloods money. Here it comes, you got to either get on board, or get out the way.

We all should be excited about the future, as this proves more can be done with less.

• Christopher Barrett

August 3, 2022 at 5:53 am
  • Curtis Cibinel

August 3, 2022 at 9:11 am

Aptera Owners Club made a good video on this article. Still tons of unknowns and unclear statements but LFP will be a good path forward for Aptera eventually. The 600 mile should be viable using existing off the shelf cells (with EVE 280K it is less weight/volume than 2170s for the 1000 mile). I don’t understand the need for new co-development but I suspect this company is more a production partner than a battery research company and some things are being lost in translation.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0FX4yAarnQ
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Tuu7avKH2dS_JPk7aiP2av09a1f1WE0OvvNH6fdHpiQ/edit#gid=1285203539

• Jonah Jorgenson

August 3, 2022 at 10:13 am

Glad to see you are finally vindicated regarding LFP for Aptera

• Jonah Jorgenson

August 3, 2022 at 10:18 am

I am a little surprised that Aptera did not have a press release they could make simultaneously with this development in the public news in Taiwan. They certainly knew about it ahead of time and had plenty of time to strategize and draft a release.

Aptera Owners Club beat them to press again.

Second observation. the Alpha Sol was there. I suppose that the Gamma is at Aptera still being worked on. If it had been finished they would have sent it to Taiwan. Hopefully for the event in early September.

• Patrick Liebknecht

August 3, 2022 at 10:31 am

How will this directly affect orders once China invades Taiwan ?

You know it’s coming , it’s not a matter of if , it’s a matter of when.

• Mark Salyzyn

August 3, 2022 at 10:55 am

Is this truer today than 80 years ago?

Aptera will be the least of our worries if this happens. The tech in _everything_ suddenly is at risk of delivery, and source. Chip foundaries will all need to be redone stateside.

My son’s house is built on the original Fairchild superfund site. The first chips made there are now buried under a thick underground plastic layer to block toxins, our foundaries poluted our soil, ruined our environment, so they all went foreign. I am not even sure we could bring them back.

Could spell the end of the American Empire, or not, but world changing none the less.

• Pistonboy Delux

August 3, 2022 at 11:01 pm

I think you should move to another country where you will feel better.

• Jonah Jorgenson

August 3, 2022 at 11:23 am

I don’t think the sky is falling.

A China invasion is possible but not probable. The countries in the Pacific Rim, especially Japan and South Korea Work vigorously to keep China in its place as they have a much to loose as Taiwan if China chose to invade. There is no doubt that China wants control of Taiwan but there are other ways to accomplish it other than an invasion that would risk retaliation for Japan, South Korea, the U.S., and possibly NATO. All of the above have a lot invested in keeping the Pacific Rim stable

• Scott Seeger

August 3, 2022 at 9:14 pm

I don’t think the North Atlantic Treaty Organization will have much to do with it, but all of your other points seem quite valid.

• Christopher Barrett

August 5, 2022 at 5:02 am

NATO is not a factor in the Pacific region, try SEATO is the one !

• Dennis Swaney

August 5, 2022 at 9:00 am

SEATO was dissolved 55 years ago on 30 Jun 77. Another victory for Vietnam.

CENTO was dissolved in 1979 (which is why NATO had to get involved in the fight against the islamic terrorist states of Iran and Taliban Afghanistan).

• Selvan Poothamby

August 5, 2022 at 11:29 am

Why should we care about what Taiwan builds for the Taiwanese or South East Asia in general.

• John Malcom

August 5, 2022 at 10:33 am

Ever since NATO forces were engaged in Afghanistan NATO has interest in Pacific Rim developments. NATO countries are threatened by Islamic extremism as is the US. NATO countries have a lot of economic interest there and rightly so are concerned about Chinese military power and expansion. The US is a NATO country. Therefore where there is a US interest, there is a NATO interest.

• Scott Seeger

August 3, 2022 at 9:17 pm

There is definitely a reason our government has increased it’s focus on American manufacturing of chips, batteries, and vehicles. Having some US/North American manufacturing capabilities is important to national security.

• Joshua Rosen

August 3, 2022 at 11:45 am

I wonder if Formosa Plastics is going to make an investment in Aptera, it’s a US$14B company so they have the means. One more thing about Aptera that might be of interest to them is that the car is made from composites, that’s right up their alley.

• Kayleigh Venne

Administrator
    August 3, 2022 at 12:07 pm

Hi there! Please allow us to clarify — Our initial plans to begin production in Carlsbad, CA have not changed. Thank you for your support and patience while we lead the solar mobility movement!

Gratefully,

Aptera Team

• John Malcom

August 3, 2022 at 2:04 pm

So Kayleigh, you are in the lime light again!

I think most believe that the Taiwan production would not start for some time and would supplement US production or maybe support off shore deliveries. I don’t believe anyone thought it would take the place of Carlsbad production

• This reply was modified 4 days, 19 hours ago by  John Malcom. Reason: Correct spelling
    • Christopher Barrett

August 3, 2022 at 3:59 pm

Kayleigh, one of the best parts of the Aptera ethos has been the openness of the information. It appears that this agreement might be important to those who have invested in the company. It is my hope that the press release regarding this event, will be forthcoming soon. Now, if the company is in a quiet period, because of filing with the SEC, that should be said also. I understand travel and other considerations, but this seems as though it might be a pretty important deal, even if it is only in the future. Investors do not care much about the past; they want to know about the future.

• Selvan Poothamby

August 3, 2022 at 1:03 pm

Could it be that that’ll be a satellite factory?

• kerbe2705

August 3, 2022 at 3:13 pm

@Selvan Poothamby Be careful with your choice of words or someone will start complaining that Aptera is building satellites and not building vehicles! 🤣

• Selvan Poothamby

August 3, 2022 at 3:54 pm

@kerbe2705 that’s too funny…:) She is my ufo

• Dennis Swaney

August 3, 2022 at 4:26 pm

Can’t be since she isn’t “unidentified”. I’d suggest “sfo” but then everyone would think you owned San Francisco International Airport.

• Selvan Poothamby

August 3, 2022 at 5:36 pm

It should at least still bring a smile to someone’s face

• Pistonboy Delux

August 3, 2022 at 11:06 pm

I agree. I have given up on the intelligence of reporters.

• Qiang Fu

August 3, 2022 at 5:24 pm

Another article I found that may get more insight into the production plan in Taiwan:

https://www.worldjournal.com/wj/story/121347/6508476?zh-cn

Translating a few key sentences:

1. There are three parties in this cooperation memorandum: Aptera, Formosa AdvEnergy, and autoSmart (another Taiwan company)

2. Formosa AdvEnergy and Aptera will cooperating in developing the LFP for autos, expected to start supplying to Aptera in 2024

3. Autosmart will develop plan for Aptera’s operation in Asia, which could include (to be exact, the language is “not excluding”) setting up assembly line in Taiwan.

I assume the assembly lines in Taiwan is for customers in Asia given Autosmart’s scope in this memorandum.

In the article, Chris also mentioned the 4 wheel Aptera is planned in 2024-2025, and plan to set up 9 assembly lines throughout the world by 2028. I am not holding my breath for these projected timelines given how long we have been waiting for the gamma.

• This reply was modified 4 days, 15 hours ago by  Qiang Fu.
    • This reply was modified 4 days, 15 hours ago by  Qiang Fu. Reason: edit last paragraph
  • Qiang Fu

August 3, 2022 at 5:43 pm

Two new pieces of information from:

https://tw.news.yahoo.com/%E5%8F%B0%E5%A1%91%E6%94%9C%E6%89%8B%E7%BE%8E%E9%9B%BB%E5%8B%95%E8%BB%8A%E6%96%B0%E5%89%B5aptera-%E7%9B%AE%E6%A8%992024%E5%B9%B4%E5%87%BA%E8%B2%A8%E8%BB%8A%E7%94%A8%E9%9B%BB%E6%B1%A0-082655347.html

1. Cooperation will focus on LFP, EMS (?”energy management system”?), and safety

2. The cooperation does NOT include investment.

I am a bit disappointed at the second one. Hope they are still negotiating that possibility.

• Selvan Poothamby

August 3, 2022 at 5:50 pm

@Qiang Fu Thanks for translating! This is all good news, nonetheless. More exposure, international reach, yes! Now when did you say my UFO is arriving?

• Qiang Fu

August 3, 2022 at 6:58 pm

Besides many things we already covered, this article mentions that in the next phase, not excluding cross-investing and cross-holding the shares (among Aptera, AdvEnergy, Autosmart) to deepening the cooperation:

https://money.udn.com/money/story/12926/6507865

There are also three universities in Taiwan involved in the R&D.

• Pistonboy Delux

August 4, 2022 at 12:20 am

The Aptera Owners Club video was very good. AdvEnergy was formed less than a month ago. It does appear they are reaching out to Aptera. They wish to build vehicles and Aptera would be a great “starter” vehicle for them to learn on. Being their first vehicle, I am sure they would give great attention to detail. This is great for Aptera.

• John Malcom

August 4, 2022 at 2:27 am

Qiang Fu

Thanks for providing all of this information and the translation service.

I was disappointed in your number 2. as well. Perhaps some of your later information means there may be a plan for investment at some point. It appears that the companies and the universities are forming a closely integrated partnership close to being a merger.

I am disappointed that Aptera was and still is silent on this development. I hope they provide clarification and elaborate on the terms of the arrangement for enthusiasts with reservations and investors.

A prepared joint release would have been appropriate, appreciated, and expected. The Aptera reputation for openness took a hit here I think

• Joshua Rosen

August 4, 2022 at 7:46 am

My guess is the reason Aptera hasn’t issued an announcement is because Aptera didn’t get what they wanted. Shipping one of the alphas to Taiwan was an extraordinary move, I don’t think they would have done that if all they thought they were going to get was a cooperation agreement. I think they were looking for an investment and they didn’t get it. Formosa AdvEnergy is a two week old company, they won’t have any batteries for years if ever. Autosmart hasn’t committed to anything, Qiang Fu says that they aren’t excluding the possibility of doing assembly, that’s about the least enthusiastic statement that you could imagine. Formosa Plastics has set up two new ventures of their own and they used Aptera to get some world wide publicity for them. I doubt anything will develop from this.

• This reply was modified 4 days, 1 hour ago by  Joshua Rosen.
  • Selvan Poothamby

August 4, 2022 at 8:29 am

With all the brilliant people Aptera has gathered I can’t fathom them letting such a thing happen. There’s gotta be more to it.

• Jonah Jorgenson

August 4, 2022 at 8:57 am

Difficult to tell since Aptera is being silent about it. I believe if it was a “Positive” thing, Aptera would have distributed a press release. Since they haven’t either the terms of some sort of agreement have not been finalized or there is no agreement and the whole thing was a publicity effort. Difficult to tell since Aptera is being silent about it.

The Corporate CFO and the CEO of Asia would have been responsible for working out an agreement before the event. Both were there for the event. May still be there if negotiations are ongoing. A possible reason for no press release from Aptera, the details are not documented at this point. I think Aptera wanted something in place (Some splash) before the Fully Charged Live event in September. An international agreement would have filled that bill.

Looks like the Alpha Sol is being groomed as the display vehicle. Hopefully, the Gamma will be available to show at the Fully Charged event. That would take the pressure off some agreement in Taiwan.

• This reply was modified 4 days ago by  Jonah Jorgenson. Reason: deleted duplicate text
  • Dean McManis

August 4, 2022 at 9:07 am

Here is more info on this part of the deal regarding Autosmart International, who was also shown as an upcoming Formosa partner: Formosa Smart Energy has cooperated with Autosmart International, Darfon Electronics, Sunseap Solutions Taiwan and Japan-based Sojitz to offer a 12.2kWh model for tapping the Taiwan, Japan and US markets. With such a home-use energy storage system able to meet daily power demand by a family of 3-4 members, Formosa Smart Energy expects to sell more than 10,000 (home LFP battery) systems a year.

• Jonah Jorgenson

August 4, 2022 at 9:50 am

OK, that is home solar. Not sure what that has to do with Aptera batteries or possible manufacturing.

Could be “They” are looking to use Chris’s battery company as a distributor or US manufacturer and are willing to offer Aptera something in return.

Viewing 1 - 18 of 18 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now