Aptera Trunk Liner

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera Trunk Liner

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera Trunk Liner

• Aptera Trunk Liner

James Haines updated 2 weeks, 3 days ago 7 Members · 14 Posts
  • James Gatan

July 20, 2022 at 10:15 am

Paging WeatherTech! Future Aptera owners, will be in need of one..

• Len Nowak

July 20, 2022 at 11:05 am

I hear ya but aren’t WeatherTech rubber mats, the size the Aptera’s cargo area…. heavy?

Aptera’ payload is 500# . we read once about 200# in the back “for best ride”, (but that was before the suspension enhancements) That just dances in my head…

I never owned a WeatherTech product but … they look durable!

I see aftermarket fold up water proof cargo covers in the $40 range, which I might try just for my

(̂ ˃̥̥̥ ˑ̫ ˂̥̥̥ )̂dog

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• John Voules

July 20, 2022 at 11:28 am

Len, Weather Tech products are actually light wait. Unfortunately they aren’t that inexpensive. More than likely would be around the $125 range or more for the size that they would need to be. I consider them the foremost company in creating great products for keeping your vehicle clean and organized.

• James Gatan

July 20, 2022 at 11:50 am

Len, the WeatherTech liner I use is not necessarily heavy. It is made of TPE (thermo plastic elastomer) and is rubber-like. I find it light for its size to be honest. The thing is so durable.

My current WT trunk liner is actually 22yrs old (!). A hand me down. It was 1st used on my old 2000 German B5 Passat Wagon. When it was traded it in 13yrs later, I kept the liner and to my surprise, the dimensions coincidentally fits to the trunk floor of my 2014 Mazda6 sedan trunk.

Now going to year 23, the thing protects the trunk carpets of both vehicles in like new condition. The liner itself has withstood scratches, rough scuffs, nor damage abrasions. Nothing. Other than the laminated WT emblem was somehow misaligned from its seat, the whole thing looks new. It is one USA Made item on my cars, that is totally indestructible and stood the test of time. LOL

Btw, I have WeatherTech floor liners on my current Mazda6. Same amazing protection to my still new condition factory OEM Mazda carpet mats.

• James Haines

July 21, 2022 at 7:37 pm

Look at a mat called Canvasback…

Have a set in the wife’s 4-runner for years and it is light, easy to clean, and pretty tough. I would rather have this than Weather-tech or other thick rubber.

• James Gatan

July 20, 2022 at 11:59 am

John, my WeatherTech costed below $50 IIRC ($45) over 20yrs ago. Even if it’s $125 or more today, if it could last this long (decades, in my use case), I would gladly pay for it. No doubt (USA Made/Jobs Supporter here..for my USA Made Pride & Joy Aptera). 🇺🇸 👍 👍

• John Voules

July 20, 2022 at 1:39 pm

No arguments there James. The last 2 mats I have purchased were used on CL. They last longer than the cars they service. Unfortunately with APTERA being so new I will have to dig deeper into my wallet.

• James Gatan

July 21, 2022 at 5:16 am

John, it will be well worth it. It’ll likely last as long as our Apterae. Good enough to last beyond the battery replacement/ or upgrading milestone.

• kerbe2705

July 20, 2022 at 9:30 pm

@James Gatan I agree – but the company laser-scans the interior of vehicles to design fitted mats, so they won’t be able to create a set until they get their hands on a production Aptera.

The full set for my Honda Clarity PHEV (front, rear and trunk) cost $325, direct from Weathertech – and worth every penny so far!

• John Voules

July 21, 2022 at 4:50 am

I live about 10 miles from Weather Tech. I am more than willing to allow them to scan my vehicle. Unfortunately I probably won’t receive my 1st order (1-17-21…16949 400mile) well into 2023. Hopefully someone nearby will receive theirs much earlier than me.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by  John Voules.
      • James Gatan

July 21, 2022 at 5:27 am

John, yours could probably be a good original candidate as basis for the Aptera set: They’d probably give you a finished front/trunk set for free (plus more?) for the trouble. 👍

• James Gatan

July 21, 2022 at 5:21 am

Kerbe, a full Monty set for $325 isn’t bad at all. Mine is really holding up very well. The soon 23yr old trunk liner is virtually indestructible in my use case. No material age degradation at all. Far and away, it’s the best USA.Made product I’ve ever owned.

• Owen Harding

July 21, 2022 at 9:59 am

I agree. I have used WeatherTech floor mats for years. Light Weight best driver floor protection for sloppy snowy winters. WeatherTech floor mats would be one of the 1st things(accessories) I would want to purchase for my Aptera. If Aptera put together a winter package that had WeatherTech Floor matts and “3” snow tires, I would probably add that to my purchase. 😀

• Paul Niznik

July 21, 2022 at 10:39 am

Not fer nuttin’, but what about a solar trunk liner? A durable solar pad might be nice if you don’t want the rear hatch covered in cells. If it isn’t durable enough, you could make it removable.

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now