Aptera Width without Wheel Covers

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera Width without Wheel Covers

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera Width without Wheel Covers

• Aptera Width without Wheel Covers

Dennis Swaney updated 2 weeks ago 8 Members · 14 Posts
  • Jason Lee

December 22, 2021 at 9:43 am

Is there an information on the width with the wheel covers removed? I understand that the current width is 88 inches. I am looking at towing trailers, and they have 83 inches in bed width. I am wondering if the wheels covers are removed, I may be able to fit the bed…barely. Fingers crossed. I wish Aptera was slightly narrower. Not only it will require some driver adjustment, it may be problematic with other cars. I am concerned – maybe baselessly – that other drivers, not used to outboard wheels, may not recognize the front wheels and approach closer than they should. Thanks.

• Luis Fernández Izquierdo

December 22, 2021 at 10:13 am

<pre data-placeholder=”Traducción”>I am also worried, 88 inch is quite a lot here in Europe and I am worried that I will not be able to circulate like a normal car<pre data-placeholder=””><g-info-bubble jscontroller=”f3ruEc” jsaction=”rcuQ6b:npT2md”></g-info-bubble>

• Curtis Cibinel

December 22, 2021 at 10:22 am

Definitely a challenge. I expect a different car will need to be made for europe with a narrower body and no center console. Perhaps also slightly worse airodynamics (pods slightly closer to the body).

Assuming the company actually ships the Daymak Spiritus might be a better car in europe with a more traditional frontend (worse efficiency / no storage). The company is a bit sketchy and has really ambitious goals (ie a flying saucer)

• Francis Giroux

December 24, 2021 at 4:59 pm

The Daymak Spiritus is 79.1 inches wide or 2.01 meters. I wonder if they can get it accepted under the 2.0 meter width limit. It would be a shame to miss out by one centimeter.

• kerbe2705

December 25, 2021 at 9:17 pm

Aptera’s front track (from centerline of the wheel to centerline of the wheel) is 77″. Aptera runs on 195/45 R16 tires – the width of which is 7.67″. So Aptera’s width with the front wheel pants removed is just about 85″.

• Jason Lee

December 25, 2021 at 9:32 pm

Thank you for the info. 85″ is going to be tough. Oh, well. 🙂 I guess I can back it up, facing rearward. But that may mean the trailer will be back-heavy, which is not good for towing. Maybe Aptera will offer a solution at some point.

• Curtis Cibinel

December 25, 2021 at 10:14 pm

Riley has an interesting idea about using hydrolics or air suspension to stand up tall at low speed to bring the pods inward. A more extreme design would be a front suspension similar to the trigo.

• kerbe2705

December 26, 2021 at 8:19 am

So long as you can put most of the weight over the trailer’s axle you should be fine: The rear of the Aptera is its lightest point so backing it onto a trailer won’t put a lot of weight on the tongue.

• Jason Lee

December 26, 2021 at 1:28 pm

Thank you all for the information. I appreciate it. Happy 2022 (especially with Aptera deliveries)!

• alan musa

June 19, 2022 at 12:54 am

I agree with you, Jason, about how other drivers will see, or not see, the wheels. But also of greater concern to me would be when the Aptera is stationary. In an open-air carpark I can just imagine someone backing into (or even driving straight into) a space and using the Aptera cabin as their guide because they cannot see, or just do not register, the wheels sticking out an extra 4″ to 6″. Aptera will be flat out supplying replacement guards and possibly other more serious/critical parts.

• Jason Lee

June 19, 2022 at 8:54 am

Thank you. I had not even thought about parking. Speaking of which, I think curb rash is going to be another issue for me. I saw an episode of Aptera Owner’s Club on YouTube where an engineer working on the shroud was interviewed. He talked about how strong the cover was, but it seems to me that curb rash during parking was not registering with him. He was fixated on how the cover can withstand crashes and it could easily handle running into a curb, but did not understand the scratches from rubbing against the curb. As brilliant as Aptera engineers are, I think they have a narrow view of their individual area, and liable to miss some real life problems (as we all do). Love Aptera, but I think I am going to discover this and that annoyances.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by  Jason Lee.
  • Che McKittrick

June 19, 2022 at 8:09 am

I came across a tow dolly that was over 100″ in width so I’m assuming there must be something out there will fit the Aptera’s width. Might be worth looking into if you’re getting a fwd Aptera.

• Jason Lee

June 19, 2022 at 8:56 am

Thank you. If you have a link, I would greatly appreciate it. It sounds like just the thing.

• Dennis Swaney

June 19, 2022 at 9:08 am

That is probably the overall width. What you need to know is the width between the dolly’s fenders. I just sent trailer a question on one of their dolly models that is 102″ wide overall.

Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now