Aptera Yoking Around On Twitter

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera Yoking Around On Twitter

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera Yoking Around On Twitter

• Aptera Yoking Around On Twitter

Tim Polen updated 4 weeks, 1 day ago 16 Members · 21 Posts
  • Philip Sandiford

August 9, 2022 at 7:39 pm

This earlier today made think maybe 🤔 “a moment for…” was to mourn its passing.

Dare I wish for the moon?

https://twitter.com/aptera_motors/status/1557155063050768384

• Jared Cormier

August 9, 2022 at 7:46 pm

Doubtful; if they’re still changing designs at this phase (which we’ll see in a week or so), I’ll probably be going out to purchase a different EV as this will never ship. The placement of the rear-view screens precludes a full circle wheel.

• Cameron Berg

August 9, 2022 at 9:34 pm

Not excited for the yoke, but also not a deal breaker. Just really sad that the design of it looks so absolutely terrible. The rest of the Aptera looks so great.

• John Voules

August 11, 2022 at 7:15 am

Thank you for the video find. Short 2 points for me, some limitations with a learning curve and going back to round wheel felt that it became outdated. I for one am looking forward to the yoke, just as the world is transitioning towards electric vehicles we will also reinvent the wheel.

• Jonah Jorgenson

August 11, 2022 at 7:58 am

Good thought!

I have good experiences with yoke steering devices on Tesla EVs. A colleague’s mother just bought a Lexus with a yoke. Older lady, but likes the yoke. claims it makes her feel like a Le Mans driver.

Sometimes we need a virtual generation to die out before progress can be made.

• Steven G. Bueche

August 10, 2022 at 12:50 am

I don’t mind having the screen in front of the steering wheel. It resembles all other instrument clusters. The placement in the photograph however shows most of the screen being blocked by the steering wheel. One would have to hug the dash in order to get a full view of what being shown.

If the screen were mounted a bit higher it would alleviate the problem.

You’d have to be rather tall to see over the wheel in order to see the screen. Maybe it’s adjustable?

• Dennis Swaney

August 10, 2022 at 9:00 am

So much for their vaunted yoke having better screen view-ability over a nice thin steering wheel!

• Kimberly Wilson

August 11, 2022 at 6:14 am

Maybe the steering yoke is in the full tilt up position?

• Paul Tatum

August 11, 2022 at 11:29 am

I’d like to see a moose test video with the yoke, with a clear view of the driver’s hands. I am glad to see at least the lower loop.

• John Voules

August 11, 2022 at 12:04 pm

I think a rounded bottom of the yoke would be less effective than a squared off corner which you may be able to grip better. The moose test would benefit with the new torque vectoring. I expect the moose run would be less drama to steer out of danger.

• Michael Rohan

August 13, 2022 at 3:07 pm

I don’t how people think about their own driving habits and those of professional drivers, and assume that it will apply to the general driving population. Especially when in the context of driving with a yoke. Here is an alert and ready professional driver, reacting to a prepared problem. Most people driving are not driving 100% alert and ready every moment behind the wheel. Individuals drive in all states – tired, wired, distracted, relaxed, taking a bite, taking a sip, one handed, two handed, dark/low vision, etc. Also the demographic varies wildy — first time drivers to senior citizens and all variations of personality and physical and mental ability between them. Should everyone drive with a certain hand position? Yup. Do they? Nope. Will a yoke force them to and they will all be able to adapt to all situations with the same or better proficiency as if they were using a wheel? Doubt it.

Edit: Sorry, meant for the below post with the video.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Michael Rohan.
    • Jeffrey Parker

August 11, 2022 at 7:11 pm

Model 3 Moose Test https://youtu.be/XRCWBFSQsp4?list=PLrt8jdAATECUSFXiGsyO5pW_Nqqgnh3rH&t=53

Notice hands do not shuffle the wheel. even at that fast of hand movements hands STAY ON THE WHEEL in the 2/10 o’clock position even though the wheel goes from 0 – left 200ish – 0 – right 200ish – 0 – left 200ish. So that was more than 360 of wheel travel from max left to max right and interestingly hands didn’t shuffle and were near the same location of a yoke.

It’s almost like if you drive with two hands, within the limits of the vehicle (and yourself) you’ll have control. When you drive over the limit of the car (or yourself) like when a single hand can’t control the wheel, or the tires lose traction, then you get in trouble no matter the car or steering device. Shuffling hands at slower speeds or using one hand is acceptable cause you have the time to react. But cruising at speed where a “moose” is possible with one wrist at 12 o’clock or 6 o’clock (for comfort) and the other hand out the window or holding a cigarette is not safe no matter the steering device.

If you lose control of the car, the best action is not to try to save it with rotating the wheel wildly having your hands go every which way, it’s best to just stomp the brakes and get the car stopped.

Limit the damage by traveling the least amount of distance in an uncontrolled manner.

Here is a playlist of moose test videos. Notice the majority of passing runs are where hands don’t leave the wheel or under the test entry speed. A trained professional hands’ are quick, my hands (and brain) as an autocrosser are not that quick and it shows, I still have my car spin while on course every once in a while.

And my opinion, if I were to dodge a “moose” I would think I’d just make the one lane change to attempt to not hit the “moose”. Get the vehicle under control then change lanes back when safe to do so. No need to go to the limits all the time.

Maniobra de esquiva y eslalon (moose test & slalom) – YouTube

• John Malcom

August 14, 2022 at 7:52 am

I drive a Tesla Model 3. Glad to see it perform in the moose test. I live in FL so not to worried about needing to execute the maneuver. Have driven a different Tesla with a yoke. The complaints about a yoke steering devise, mostly by people with no yoke experience or understanding of how it is integrated into the steering system of an Aptera is puzzling to me. Especially in the overall context of the benefits of an Aptera.

• OZ (It’s OZ, Just OZ)

August 14, 2022 at 9:28 am

John, in Florida, you need to be prepared for the “Gator” test,

• Jonah Jorgenson

August 14, 2022 at 10:12 am

Ha Ha yes! But they are a lot slower and lower to the ground. Ground clearance is more important, I hope Aptera has an extra high “Gator” mode off road for those of us that live in FL

• John Malcom

August 14, 2022 at 10:52 am

Would you suggest I request “A gator mode” for Aptera as a class action for all Aptera or prospective Aptera owners in FL? It could be added to the testing suite and become a sales discriminator for Aptera.

• Tim Polen

August 31, 2022 at 7:22 pm

Had he turned the wheel half as far, the car would’ve likely reacted even better than that. He turned so far that the tires lost their grip. Tesla’s only have 2 rotations of the steering wheel lock-to-lock, which is why the yoke works in the S and X. Making a 90-degree right turn only requires about 100 degrees of wheel rotation vs. nearly one full rotation in other vehicles.

In the real world, if you have to maneuver like that to avoid something, odds are you’d be better off just plowing whatever is in front of you instead of spinning out or tail-slapping the guy next to you off the road.

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by  Tim Polen.
  • kerbe2705

August 13, 2022 at 10:25 pm

When compared to other “yokes”, the Aptera design is actually more like 2/3 of a steering wheel…

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now