Aptera’s Ride?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera’s Ride?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera’s Ride?

• Aptera’s Ride?

• steve pelman

June 2, 2022 at 6:01 pm

I am wondering about the suspension and ride. I can imagine that being lightweight would be a little jumpy. Would more batteries in the faster model be better?

• Ray Holan

June 2, 2022 at 6:32 pm

Hello, Steve. Final tuning of the suspension hasn’t been completed. However, given that Roush Engineering has been involved in the suspension and chassis design, our chances are good that the ride will be firm and controlled but forgiving. We’ll have to wait and see as we have only had reports from Alpha and Beta vehicles. Anecdotal reports on the Beta rate it as much improved over Alpha. Gamma should be better yet.

• Gary Greenway

June 2, 2022 at 7:09 pm

The ride of the vehicle can be tuned by varying the spring rates and the damping of the shocks. I think the suspension geometry will be the same across all battery weights. The prototypes have adjustable preload coilover shocks. Hopefully production models will have this too. Adjustable (or at least reconfigurable) valving on the shocks would be an extra bonus.

• Curtis Cibinel

June 2, 2022 at 7:23 pm

If the Aptera will be used with two heavier passengers or otherwise near its 500lb load limit it might make sense to adjust the suspension to be stiffer (ie set as it would be tuned for the next battery size)

• Lord Chad Dunham

June 2, 2022 at 9:08 pm

If you haven’t seen it, there are a couple videos on YouTube where people have gotten a ride in the Alpha|Beta vehicles. Steve from Aptera Owners Club shows/talks about it here: https://youtu.be/7CQm9kHwuiwhttps://youtu.be/7CQm9kHwuiw

There are also videos from Nikki at Transport Evolved and Rich Rebuilds (not looking for those links).

I hope that helps.

• Paul Evans

June 3, 2022 at 7:43 am

Gary & Curtis’s comments got me thinking about my auto crossing days. I put adjustable coil-overs on my MINI and had it corner balanced while I was in the driver seat. It transformed the handling!

If I can find coil-overs that fit the Aptera, I would do the same thing. It might be simpler with three wheels – just balancing the left and right corners, leaving the ride height alone.

Thoughts?

</div>

• Russell Fauver

June 3, 2022 at 8:47 am

Sounds great to me! Can’t wait to get these things on the road and see what people come up with.

• Jonah Jorgenson

June 3, 2022 at 10:21 am

My thoughts as a Gen Z aerospace engineer.

Right to repair gives you the authorization to to make changes to your vehicle as you feel fit and as is prudent.

However if you start modifying suspension and other components on the delivered vehicle, it may negate the balanced engineering achieved in the production version and have unexpected consequences. Certainly will affect the advertised efficiency.

Before doing such a thing I think I would outline specifically what you would intend to do and with what products, and consult with Aptera on the consequences.

It may also void your warranty depending on how long you have your vehicle before you consider such a change. Thinking down the road it may also negatively affect your resale value if you have modified the vehicle and ever intend to sell it as modded vehicles are valued below stock configurations in the vehicle marketplace. Perhaps not as bad as a salvage title but certainly less than a standard configuration.

• This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by  Jonah Jorgenson. Reason: corrected spelling
      • Paul Evans

June 3, 2022 at 11:14 am

Thanks for your observations, Jonah.

In truth, I suspect that it be difficult to find the components I would want.

The dimensions have to be the same as stock. The adjustable valving would have to be able to match the stock calibration near the mid-point of the adjustment range. It would be great to have the same components that Aptera is using to test and arrive at the stock settings.

Ultimately it would all have to be affordable.

Given the number of vehicles that will be produced in the 1st 3 years, it’s unlikely that they would available.

The other major challenge would be that at 70-plus years, my anatomical posterior G-meter would lack the sensitivity to discern the improvement anyway.

Such fantasies are made of these…..

• Vernon Michael Gardner

June 3, 2022 at 11:46 am

Paul, very well put. I used to autocross back in the ’80s and 90s and was considering taking the Aptera on the courses at Napa, Monterey, and Thunderhill. Sears point, Laguna seca and our club track.

• George Hughes

June 3, 2022 at 12:00 pm

I think the trailing third wheel of the Aptera could be, using the Roush designed geometry, be quite a dramatic and cheap way to improve the ride to a new level.

The trick is the inclusion of an active suspension component to the rear wheel, whether or not powered.

Active suspensions are not common, but they are ‘around’ and have been for 20+ years. Their ‘trick’ is that they anticipate the road’s variations and essentially work to have the traction patch of the wheel stay in constant contact at constant pressures ‘ironing out the rough roadway’ by moving the suspension ‘up’ nano-seconds before the bump and pressing the wheel back down to the pavement after bump. When placed in a 1999 Citroën Xantia Activa sedan, the active suspension kept the car flat and in contact with the road while this little econo box surpassed every other car’s performance posting the fastest speed ever in the moose test.

So why is an active rear suspension a good idea for the Aptera (eventually?) While it may have a little hit on efficiency (weight related), the idea is that you can gain most of the benefits of an active suspension on the one trailing wheel at a cost one-forth that of a traditional four-wheel vehicle so equipped.

I also think providing an active suspension component for the rear axle, will minimize consumer concerns over the center lane pothole.

• Fanfare 100

June 3, 2022 at 12:03 pm

I can just see the letters to Aptera:

“Dear Aptera, I plan to take my car cruising down Nevada Avenue and I intend to install an hydraulic suspension that would cause my Aptera to jump up and down to the rhythm of the music I am playing with my enhanced Audio Option. Would this void the warrantee? Please advise. Thank you. Signed: –Cruisin’ for Bruisin'” 😂

• Paul Evans

June 3, 2022 at 12:13 pm

Fanfare, I think belongs in the category called ‘overactive’ suspension!

• Darrell Cravens

June 3, 2022 at 10:44 pm

I know it is not a luxury car, but I don’t want to feel every little bump in the road either.

I know the ride of a motorcycle is a bit rough, I don’t want my Aptera to ride like a motorcycle.

What about the seats? Will we have a comfortable seat that has back support?

• kerbe2705

June 4, 2022 at 12:31 am

@Darrell Cravens If you watch some of the recent ride-along videos in the Beta prototype, especially those by Aptera Owner’s Club, Rich Rebuilds and Transport Evolved, you’ll hear them talk about the quality of the ride due to the new suspension design.

The seats have been totally redesigned – we know that the seats in the Alpha prototypes weren’t wonderful but we don’t, yet, know about the new seats.

Jay Leno, in his drive of the Alpha, said that Aptera drove like a car. I think it will be most akin to a light-weight sporty car, like a Mazda Miata, with the weight of the batteries in its belly giving is a road-hugging low center of gravity.

So don’t worry: I’m sure that Aptera isn’t going to produce an uncomfortable vehicle with poor handling and an unpleasant ride. We’re just quite a ways off, with two more development stages before production begins, and no one yet knows how the journey will end.

• Peter Dezendorf

June 4, 2022 at 3:59 pm

Huh?

I rode motorcycles for some 20 years (sold my last one in 2019). Some motorcycles ride rough. Most, with the right suspension adjustments, right just fine. I suspect Aptera will have a pleasant suspension.

Viewing 1 - 7 of 7 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now