Are the panels water and snow proof?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Are the panels water and snow proof?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Are the panels water and snow proof?

• Are the panels water and snow proof?

Alain Chuzel updated 1 month ago 7 Members · 10 Posts
  • Hayden Rank

March 27, 2022 at 4:15 pm

This may be sort of a Stupid question, but today, while I was daydreaming of my new aptera, I thought of something. That thing would be rain. I’m almost positive there wouldn’t be an oversight or limitation like that but I would love if someone had an answer. Also, do we know anything about how aptera drives in harsher weather conditions? Thanks to anyone who can answer these questions!

• Len Nowak Nowak

March 27, 2022 at 5:03 pm

Aptera can be driven in rain and snow.

Like any vehicle it would have limitations.

They mentioned they will probably test an Aptera vehicle in snow in a northern mountainous area of CA.

You can search the Elaphe in wheel motor site to see “Their testing” in various environmental testing

If you read the Aptera website , FAQ etc you will also read about Off Road, and AWD options which may offer options for some needs.

I hope that helps

• Hayden Rank

March 27, 2022 at 5:08 pm

Thanks a lot that’s what I figured. I seem to have just completely forgotten that solar panels have been working in the rain for years lol. I will also try and locate the testing you referenced. Have a good day fellow apterian!

• George Hughes

March 27, 2022 at 5:35 pm

<div>If you have enough faith to put down a reservation, muster just a little more faith and grasp these are good guys and not at all out to defraud anyone. Indeed, if the solar panels were subject to anything other than being ‘shaded’ by the clouds when it rains or the solar panels are covered by a layer of snow in which case, solar electric generation declines temporarily – i.e. they were to rust, deform and pull away from the body, or fail to provide electric generating capacity when in the direct sun, the solar energy world would collapse. </div>

Fortunately, solar power is real and while it does take a hit a night and when clouds fill the sky, it is designed for the outdoors and will likely perform just as advertised for decades.

As far as how it performs, it actually would appear to be an above-average handler with exceptional traction and control provided by two or three independent motors tuned for superior performance. I give it the above average marks for handling because it is light, agile two-seater. It will out-perform most FWD and RWD vehicles primarily because independent motors and controls for each wheel (3WD version) provides a greater degree of anti-slip and anti-skid precision; such precision providing more effective implementation of the traction strategies.

This means it probably drives better in harsh weather conditions (heat, rain, snow and ice) than would most every ICE vehicle built before 2015 if not 2020.

This is not to say you would ride as softly as you might want or that you’ll win every autocross, rally or road race in which you compete; just that for average drivers the combination of low drag, light weight, precision traction controls, center of gravity and especially efficiency will make the Aptera you’re likely go-to vehicle 24/7/365.

• Ray Lischner L

May 26, 2022 at 7:32 pm

What about hail? I don’t live in an area of softball-size hail, but if I did, I would want to park under cover to protect the solar cells.

• Alain Chuzel

May 26, 2022 at 7:52 pm

From a short video clip I’ve seen, Aptera, apparently, is “hail testing” their solar panels.

• GLENN ZAJIC

May 27, 2022 at 11:28 am

It isn’t a tank! Softball size hail will cream just about anything out there. But as a reminder; I was at an event a dozen years ago where people were given a hammer, maybe 2 pounds, to try to dent the Aptera shell. None were successful. No damage could be observed. Can’t say the same for the solar panels though.

• Llewellyn Evans

May 29, 2022 at 4:04 am

Hi Hayden, they are doing accelerated environmental testing in a test chamber. This exposes the solar panels to heat, rain, cold by cycling the hell out of them so that you can get many years worth of environmental wear in only a few months of testing.

They test the performance at the start and compare it the performance at the end. From that you can extrapolate the number of years that can be expected from the panels.

You can use this to test for the survival of the parts as well ….. are bonds delaminating? Is there cracks in the surface? Which plastics or resins survive best? What manufacturing processes work best? Is there any un-expected stuff happening?

Lots of testing!!!!🤓

• Llewellyn Evans

May 29, 2022 at 4:11 am

Are they doing mechanical fatigue testing on the panels?

• Alain Chuzel

May 29, 2022 at 6:02 am

Aptera is going to learn a lot about solar cell interconnects with the “thermal cycling”. Historically, interconnect fatigue or solder/weld failure has been an “issue”. The issue all but goes away with traditional glass front solar panels because glass has a relatively low CTE (coefficient of thermal expansion). Plastics, on the other hand, tend to have relatively high CTEs.

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now