Are we asking too much from APTERA?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Are we asking too much from APTERA?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Are we asking too much from APTERA?

• Are we asking too much from APTERA?

• John Voules

August 22, 2022 at 5:59 pm

I find this sight to have some great ideas and exchanges of philosophies and facts that are good for the forum. What I don’t understand, we are here because we love this car and can’t wait to get our hands on it, then why are so many admirers adamantly posting they will not purchase because of something that may not please them. Whether it’s a yoke, electrical access for your components, and or whatever else some of us may wish for (not need). Either way, most if not all can be remedied.

My 1st car at 18 was a 77 Camaro LT…more than a couple of dozen vehicles later..I now own an Audi Q7 tdi, BMW i3 and a zero SRf motorcycle. None of which are perfect…but perfect enough to purchase.

The goal here is to get the vehicle out to market….YOU PHYSICALLY CANT PLEASE EVERYONE.

• Gary Greenway

August 22, 2022 at 6:25 pm

If I can’t have my way, I’ll take my bat and ball and go home. 😭

Over the years, I’ve had lots of vans. I modded them all. I now have a jeep that has a few remaining stock parts. Hopefully I won’t have to change much on the Aptera.

• John Voules

August 22, 2022 at 6:38 pm

Gary, I guess your like the other extreme side of the market. Nice to have you!

Never did that type of modification. I’m also not that mechanically prone. My highlight though, I married a HAYABUSA motor with 2002 smart car, all contracted out. Smartacus was her name…she is now in a museum.

https://youtu.be/6HXy5tJORRUhttps://youtu.be/6HXy5tJORRU

• Russell Fauver

August 23, 2022 at 6:03 am

that’s awesome

• Ray Holan

August 23, 2022 at 6:38 am

Luv it, John! Great project.

• Uncle Dirt

August 22, 2022 at 6:31 pm

I will take it however they send it

• John Voules

August 22, 2022 at 6:53 pm

Thank you Mr Petty….That’s The Spirit !

• Gordon Niessen

August 22, 2022 at 6:59 pm

I was one of the first to get the Toyota Prius (2001). It had a few glitches in the first few months and they had to replace the motor controller/inverter once. But I was able to get 50mpg for my commute and was quite happy. The battery lasted for 160,000 miles. And I am still driving the car today, though the A/C just failed a couple of months ago. I am hoping it lasts until I get the Aptera.

• John Voules

August 22, 2022 at 7:03 pm

Gordon, I never met anyone that didn’t love their Prius. Tell her to hang in there, just a little longer.

• LoveAptera YokeDealbreaker

September 11, 2022 at 12:15 pm

The 2nd generation Prius was just about un-killable! Aside from some manual battery balancing every couple hundred thousand miles.

• John Malcom

August 22, 2022 at 7:39 pm

I have a colleague I work with also a senior. We are working on developing EVs for an American auto maker. We encounter the same thing with regard to “Got to have this or else” some times from company management. My colleague attributes it to having things to good for too long, an its “All about me” attitude, and some missplaced sense of entitlement. We both think it is a vocal minority of whiners who’s nature is to complain about something all of the time.

We are fortunate to live in a country where we have so many choices. Our feeling is if it is so atrocious then buy something else. But, of course, in the case of Aptera, such a decision would keep the purchaser from owning the most remarkable vehicle to come along since the Model T.

• John Voules

August 22, 2022 at 9:16 pm

Exactly why most realize that the APTERA is the foremost efficient car with many other attributes. The Model T…15 million produced would be a nice goal to reach. Aptera will be going international fairly quickly. These numbers may someday be realistic. I believe there will be much international hype for this vehicle…it is so so different. Countries that live relatively close to the equator would have the benefit of serious solar gain.

The key is knock them dead at Fully Charged!

• Greg Vickery

August 22, 2022 at 8:54 pm

Yes I believe some of us are asking too much from Aptera! There is nothing produced today that would satisfy everyone! I have wanted the Aptera since 2019 when it was introduced back to the public! It has changed a lot since then and mostly above my expectations! There are a few things that do not appeal to me but I will accept them because that is where the Aptera team has chosen to go. I have put my faith in their team to build the best vehicle possible to reach their expectations and hopefully mine also. I am looking forward to the day when I will take delivery of my Aptera and learn to appreciate everything it has to offer. I promised myself years ago that I would never buy a new vehicle again! But a 3 wheel vehicle like nothing else offered today, even though not perfect in my eyes, changed my mind and put a spark back into this 69 year old body!

• Steve Wanamaker

August 22, 2022 at 11:00 pm

I realized after a while that I needed to get off the “it has to be perfect” train and narrow my must-have list. #1 is proper seating / yoke adjustability and comfort. If it doesn’t fit me for long drives then yes, I DO have to reject it. After that I realized that my number won’t come up for 2 YEARS. Any other requirement (and even #1) can be fixed by then. I will be at Fully Charged Live to see how it feels in person. My wish list does include 12v and 120v for a cooler and camping, but I’m not going to rant about it. It’s reasonable to want them to know what features are important to us, but I’m happy to see cars going out the door without all of the bells and whistles (for the first 1.99 years 😄). “Perfect is the enemy of the good”.

• Joel Smith

August 23, 2022 at 11:38 am

There are a bunch of folks who know a whole lot more than I do in their area of expertise working to bring the best Aptera to market. I’m certainly not going to pre-judge any of the choices that they make in the process.

When folks start driving production vehicles and reporting on their experience, then I will consider carefully what all they have to say (and from what perspective they will be saying it).

Really though, what I expect is to get my own, take some time to learn to work with what I find unfamiliar with it and then decide. I consider myself pretty adaptable, so it hard to imagine that I won’t be thrilled and reassured that it was all worth the risk.

The needful paradigm shift that this vehicle on the road will represent is too great to cast aside lightly.

• Rex Schneider

August 23, 2022 at 11:56 am

I have wanted this car since it had a Diesel engine hybrid. The specifics were not the concern but the concept and the futuristic car that it is.

There are some things that would not be my first choice in the design but I am so looking forward to driving it. Nothing in life is 100% what we want. I just cant wait to finally start road tripping in my solar car.

Please, please,please, get me in one as soon as possible. I am reservation number 10296. I will get an early one as I ordered one of the earliest non paradigm ones. So yoke or not, buttons or not, Just get me a solid functioning car that will change the future and I will be a happy man.

• John Voules

August 23, 2022 at 12:13 pm

I am reading everyone’s posts and I see one common denominator….yes it would be nice to have certain things that we personally would prefer, but in the end….we just want the vehicle to be available as soon and as safely possible. Once the vehicle is in our hands, then the critiquing can begin. This is more helpful to both APTARE’s future and for buyers happines and satisfaction.

• Mark Salyzyn

August 23, 2022 at 1:33 pm

So no more discussions folks, no more dreaming or wishing … is that what you are saying? 😉

I am concerned about initial quality delivery too, but I am concerned because there is already a pullback in employment by many sectors of the economy, and we do not want what happened to Aptera last time that lead to bankruptcy to occur again. They are in a race to the finish line, and to release there will likely be a Zero Bug Bounce (ZBB) requiring hard decisions to _not_ deliver features that are incomplete or unsafe, or will lead to some customer dissatisfaction.

I do expect Aptera Motors to have a roadmap of updates though. eg:

– Finish off any features dropped because of ZBB, software or hardware updates.

– Monthly Safety, security updates, and emergency zero-day fixes for all firmware.

– Android Auto connectivity for traffic and weather dynamic mapping, and entertainment.

– hardware improvements, or additional options.

• John Voules

August 23, 2022 at 3:33 pm

Nope…not saying that at all. Most definitely safety and other protocols will be done. One can always dream. True dreams we can’t control, they come to us during sleep.

My mindset is not to put pressure where it’s not needed. Fully Charged will come soon enough, this is where we will definitely have insight and maybe a conversation or 2.

• Jonah Jorgenson

August 23, 2022 at 4:30 pm

Android Auto as a separate application is no longer available. It has been integrated into an OS for vehicles. Unless you have a vehicle with that OS you will not be able to get Android Auto. Aptera has said they will not provide either AppleCarPlay or Android Auto. We will have a Bluetooth connection.

We are free to discuss what we want. But we will get what was planned and engineered for the first production Aptera.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Jonah Jorgenson. Reason: update content
        • Paul Schultz

August 23, 2022 at 4:37 pm

I believe you are confusing Android Automotive with Android Auto. Android Auto still exists and is built into every Android OS from I believe version 11 onward. Android Automotive is the integrated software system that is an option for vehicles. Two different animals. Eventually, Android Auto functionality may be rolled into Google Assistant. But, the user interface will be very similar to what is currently seen. What has been discontinued is the ability to run Android Auto independently on a cell phone so that you can have its functionality with a dash mounted phone. They got rid of this option about a year ago.

• Jonah Jorgenson

August 24, 2022 at 1:19 am

Yep. Thanks. See my post further down in this thread.

• Nathan Hubbard

August 23, 2022 at 9:18 pm

Johan, I see you’ve modified this comment, but it’s still totally wrong. Android Auto just needs support by the vehicle itself and anyone with an Android 6.0+ can run it.

All that was changed was running Android Auto on your phone without vehicle support, which was never very useful.

• Jonah Jorgenson

August 24, 2022 at 1:16 am

That would be Jonah not Johan 😁

Goggle is discontinuing the Android Auto for phone screens app for all Android phones. Replacement option for users without an Android Auto-enabled vehicle is to use Google Assistant driving mode. Google announced updates for Android Auto at Google I/O on May 12 2022.

Regardless, Aptera has no plans to implement Android Auto or Apple CarPlay in the first production Aptarae. As indicated they will have a Bluetooth interface.

Who knows what they might add eventually.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Jonah Jorgenson. Reason: correct spelling
  • Vernon Sinnott

August 23, 2022 at 7:37 pm

I love the Aptera. I wish I could afford it with all the perks but I am a retired senior. I need the Alberta government to change their legislation or I will be unable to proceed. I am certain the 3 wheeled version is more efficient that a 4 wheeled version would be. As is 2 wheeled drive over all wheel drive. In Alberta a motorcycle license is required, as is the wearing of a helmet. I probably won’t be getting a motorcycle license because of a previous injury. Here in winter all wheel drive and the off road package make more sense because of winter driving. I would never be taking it off road or mud bogging. Bottom line, if legislation in Alberta doesn’t change i will ask for a refund of my deposit. I think Aptera is priced fair. It will be unaffordable for some, but others will consider it a steal. It is subjective.

• John Voules

August 24, 2022 at 8:15 am

Vernon, I am hoping for you that even if legislation doesn’t change right away that it will eventually change once the vehicle is out. Maybe keep your place in line and if needed ask APTERA to delay your order until the eventual change in your provinces laws. I believe if enough of your citizens object to your present laws that your legislation will eventually yield. Also APTERA itself will continue its crusade against helmet and motorcycle laws that may also help with Alberta’s antiquated 3 wheel laws.

• Vernon Sinnott

August 24, 2022 at 11:52 am

I am keeping my place in line until I am contacted to finalize my order. Aptera will work on getting changes on legislation in Alberta after they have rolled out in the USA. I have taken the liberty of contacting my MLA & Alberta Transportation to try and get the legislation changed.

• Jeff Southern Southern

August 24, 2022 at 1:36 pm

I do not see how voicing our opinion of a product during the development process could actually hurt anything. I am sure the engineers and business executives at Apreta can separate the wheat from the chaff so to speak. If a large number of potential owners feel strongly about something, they need to know about it. I personally do not think I would like the yoke for example. It might not stop me from buying one, but I see NOTHING wrong with saying I prefer a standard wheel (at least as an option) that has works well in automobiles for well over 100 years.

• John Voules

August 24, 2022 at 2:11 pm

Hey JSS, opinions aren’t just tolerated they are welcomed. This is how we progress as humans. My issue here are people placing ultimatums, “if they do this I won’t buy”. This gives greater credence when you here statements like this. Most of these type of statements are coming from persons that don’t have any experience with what is being presented. You can favor things with out being adamant.

September 11, 2022 at 12:19 pm

Unfortunately, that’s just how humans work. At some point, a certain attribute will reach a customer’s personal deal-breaker, then feel left out in the cold when it isn’t even acknowledged or explained! So their only recovery is to just cancel their order.

September 11, 2022 at 12:14 pm

Wonderful thoughts, true for all cars! Can you share how we will remedy the Aptera yoke?

• N. Bruce Nelson

September 11, 2022 at 12:23 pm

Until we have a chance to experience what they deliver, we won’t know what, if anything, needs to be remedied.

I personally don’t know how the differential steering is going to work, but I could think of lots of possibilities, including speed sensitivity and a narrow arc of motion.

And if it is unacceptable, Aptera grants right to repair and there are no barriers to the aftermarket taking care of the issue if enough people wish it. Aptera also practices Kaizen, so they don’t have to wait for a model year to correct something that turns out to be a mistake, if indeed the yoke turns out to be one, which is far from certain.

September 11, 2022 at 12:30 pm

I too, am very excited about their support of Right To Repair! I didn’t know about Kaizen, thank you for sharing this.

• Sam Adams

September 11, 2022 at 12:39 pm

Even without specific specs, I searched for a yoke replacement that had at least a center horn and two additional buttons, I couldn’t find any.

September 11, 2022 at 2:54 pm

That’s very disappointing. Hopefully as more Apteras are sold, a 3rd party company will rise up and give us what we need?

• Paul Kirchner

September 11, 2022 at 1:49 pm

After Gamma’s reveal yesterday, I think Aptera is delivering more than we asked. Some very creative ideas are being given as well as keeping the company’s ethos of efficiency above all at the same time. I really liked when Jason Hill said (I think it was Jason) “We are instead embracing the legal constraints as a way of coming up with innovations to the problems.” I’m paraphrasing.

I feel much much better that Aptera will deliver what they set out to deliver.

Viewing 1 - 15 of 15 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now