Attaching a steering knob on Yoke?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Attaching a steering knob on Yoke?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Attaching a steering knob on Yoke?

• Attaching a steering knob on Yoke?

Qiang Fu updated 1 month, 1 week ago 7 Members · 9 Posts
  • Qiang Fu

June 25, 2022 at 9:15 pm

I was riding an Uber and saw the driver using a steering knob similar to this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brodie_knob

I saw many discussions concerning making full turns at slow speed with Yoke. Maybe adding a steering knob on Yoke will help. What do you think?

• David Marlow

June 26, 2022 at 1:47 am

In the late 60’s and early 70″s I used a wheel knob, with power steering it is not necessary.

Using the heal of my hand I can do the same thing with out it.

• Jonah Jorgenson

June 26, 2022 at 3:55 am

My grandfather used one of these knobs. In his time it was called a “Squirrel knob” or a “Suicide knob” and was not legal in some places. I agree with David, not necessary with the advent of power steering and using the heel of the had works fine.

• Len Nowak

June 26, 2022 at 5:36 am

Lots of “aftermarket stuff “ out there “ for those that think they need it

I had sent that in , with modern example below, when I saw some where unsure about the yoke.

My handicap niece uses a spin knob on her steering wheel, which “allows her to drive”.

In mid 1950s my Dad had had to use one on his old Divco truck, which was extremely heavy, had a terrible turning radius and no power steering.

I hope 🤞to keep my Aptera “ lean and clean “ as it is a “ Lean Machine” \_(ツ)_/¯

• Qiang Fu

June 26, 2022 at 6:10 am

David/Jonah/Leonard, thank you for the comments. Just to clarify, I feel the advantage of a steering knob on yoke is to do full circle turns with one hand, as hand-over-hand maneuver was discussed as a limitation of the yoke missing half circle of grip. I have no experience with either Yoke or steering knob so it’s pure observations.

• Dan Kerpe

June 26, 2022 at 3:20 pm

There’s a reason they’re called suicide knobs. They’re great for low speed applications, but can be lethal in a car crash. Imagine taking that knob to the chest in a crash. Sure, air bags help, but what about those low speed oops that happen? Air bags won’t deploy. Even when the air bags go off, you don’t want anything but a flat surface in front of you. I still have scars all over my right hand from a car wreck. When I hit, the air bag did great, but my hand hit the steering column mounted pile of keys. It cut my hand clean to the bone. A reality we’ll have to live with us that we’ll be driving an ultralight in a world of behemoth SUV’s. Crashes are going to hurt. No reason to make things worse.

• Patrick Liebknecht

June 26, 2022 at 6:27 pm

Check your local state laws. They are illegal in some states unless you are handicapped

A steering wheel knob spinner is illegal in most states except in the case of handicap drivers. The laws and regulations vary by state, and even by county, so it is best to check with your local law enforcement office in regards to local laws. Steering wheel knob spinners are often legal for commercial vehicles such as semi trucks or dump trucks. Steering wheel knobs do not allow for proper road feedback and inhibit the ability for quick responses, especially in the event of an accident. In the majority of cases, a person will have to get state approval before installing a steering knob.A steering wheel knob spinner is illegal in most states except in the case of handicap drivers. The laws and regulations vary by state, and even by county, so it is best to check with your local law enforcement office in regards to local laws. Steering wheel knob spinners are often legal for commercial vehicles such as semi trucks or dump trucks. Steering wheel knobs do not allow for proper road feedback and inhibit the ability for quick responses, especially in the event of an accident. In the majority of cases, a person will have to get state approval before installing a steering knob.

• GLENN ZAJIC

June 26, 2022 at 10:11 pm

Say again?😉

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  GLENN ZAJIC.
  • Qiang Fu

June 28, 2022 at 7:26 pm

Patrick/Dan, thank you for the comments on the safety and legal considerations.

I found I “palm” the steering wheel a lot when doing full turns. If not steering knob, I hope the Yoke can have some kinds of design to help the “palming” motion, for example, a slightly protruded “palm-size” area on the steering wheel, etc.

Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now