Auto Shows

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Auto Shows

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Auto Shows

• Auto Shows

John Malcom updated 6 months, 3 weeks ago 12 Members · 18 Posts
  • Gary Aulfinger

February 20, 2022 at 8:29 am

Has Aptera given any thought to showcasing an Alpha car at any auto shows? Fully Charged Live is being hosted in San Diego in September. I want to go! It would be awesome if we could see – or better – sit in – an Aptera while so close to Aptera’s home base.

• Joshua Rosen

February 20, 2022 at 8:41 am

Doing Fully Charged makes sense, especially since it’s in San Diego. Doing real auto shows would be a colossal waste of money.

• Joel Smith

February 20, 2022 at 9:15 am

Yeah, when I saw that “Bobby Lew” was going to do a FCL in San Diego later this year, my first thought was, coincidence? Maybe not. Easy to imagine Aptera being the star of that show.

• John Malcom

February 20, 2022 at 3:24 pm

Major auto shows are one of the highest priorities for vehicle manufacturers regardless of what country they are from. Auto shows serve as the “Coming out” events for new models and to gauge response to prototypes. This is really important for 2022/23 as there will be a flood of new EVs coming into the market and competing for early market share in this period. The most important/influential auto industry press cover the event. Major auto manufacturer and supplier executives are there along with their marketing organizations. Possibly more business is done in the parties associated with the shows than 1,000 golf outings!

As an example, the LA show, in spite of COVID had representatives for China, Vietnam, US based startups all there to show what was coming and get intel on their competitors.

The Detroit Auto show (For obvious reasons) is the most important in the US.

Aptera should make arrangements to attend one or all of the NY, Detroit, and LA auto shows

• Philip Raymond

February 20, 2022 at 9:10 pm

While it’s not the case for the L.A. auto show, some of the other big auto shows are run by the area car dealer associations and likely have no interest in exhibiting a vehicle not sold by a traditional dealer. Both the Detroit and Chicago Auto shows are run by their local area car dealer associations. Tesla has yet to appear at either and even stranger, Illinois built Rivian has yet to appear at the Chicago Auto show. On the other hand, Tesla and Rivian seem to be doing very well without the additional exposure.

• Ray Holan

February 21, 2022 at 7:30 am

While I am cautious about the potential expense of renting booth space at a major auto show, I side with John on the importance of Aptera appearing at one or more.

I know that the Cleveland Auto Show has booth space for vehicles not sold by traditional dealerships. I had my personal vehicle parked with a group from the Crawford Auto Museum a few years ago. They also had (and continue to have) extensive floor space dedicated to classic cars like ’57 Chevys and the like. Of course, these spaces are not in a prime spot, but they got a great deal of eyeballs anyhow.

• Gabriel Kemeny

February 21, 2022 at 11:48 am

Arcimoto had a big presence at the Washington DC show.

• John Malcom

February 21, 2022 at 4:00 pm

Sounds like it is time to make a paradigm shift at the auto shows then. It is certainly possible for Aptera to get into an auto show regardless of the sponsoring organization. You just set your mind on it and find a way to do it. That is the way change works (From a Six Sigma Process/Organizational Improvement practitioner)

• Philip Raymond

February 21, 2022 at 11:02 am

Ray, I have seen a similar off to the side of the main floor booths at the Chicago show too, every year I’ve attended, the last being 2019. However, those booths have never had another car company in them. It’s always been a weird combo of car restoration, camping supplies and my favorite, a booth for U.S. Army recruiting.

• Joshua Rosen

February 21, 2022 at 12:09 pm

I think Aptera’s current strategy of Youtube and social media is the correct one. They’ve been getting lots of attention from both the EV and the mainstream press and for the most part it’s been it’s been very positive, the only thing negative has been from people who don’t think they’ll be able to deliver. The skeptics have a valid point, Aptera has one failure in their past and they don’t have deep pockets behind them. If Aptera manages to ship the car, the car works well, and they ramp up production to a reasonable level then that criticism disappears.

Aptera is doing something that no other company has tried which is extreme openness. They have been publishing videos illustrating every nut and bolt in the car and the people doing the design. That sort of information is considered extremely proprietary by everyone else in the world but by opening the kimono like that they are building trust which will reap a lot of rewards when they finally go into production.

Aptera is a very very niche product. It’s not a nondescript SUV, it’s not a pickup truck, it’s in a class of it’s own. The people who will buy it will discover it on their own. People who go to big auto shows are looking for mainstream vehicles.

What Aptera will need to figure out is how to do road shows of some sort where people can test drive the car. Specialized outdoor EV shows like Fully Charged might be a venue that works for that but they will need more. They won’t have a lot of stores, maybe none at all, so they need to find a substitute. I think they will need to do something like travel around with a demonstrator and setup event’s at various sites where be people can try the car.

• John Malcom

February 21, 2022 at 3:41 pm

I don’t characterize Aptera as a niche vehicle, especially when speaking to a group or an individual about the Aptera. I characterize it in a “Category of its own” as it is a “Paradigm” shift to efficiency which we need to work seriously toward saving our environment and saving scarce resources. I hope none of us characterize it as a niche when talking to others

Certainly social media is important to focus on as the primary target for marketing anything now is Millennials and Gen X. Social Media is the major source of information for them.

Aptera’s openness is refreshing and innovative in the vehicle industry. (A paradigm shift 😉) A two edged sword of course as successes are celebrated but perceived failures are there for everyone to see or created by speculation fueled by inaccurate information or rumor.

There is no substitute for having an actual production vehicle viewable in the auto community to validate the Aptera story. Seeing, touching, riding driving an Aptera puts to rest most of the naysayers and creates enthusiasts. That can only be accomplished by having the vehicles at national, regional, and community events. I put Auto shows in that category. The 2019 The Detroit Auto Show had over 700,000 attendees. Hard to get that many touch and feels (If your vehicle is present) from a single event. The first EV Event I attended was the Drive Electric Event in Jacksonville last year. Nearly every EV in the marketplace at that time was there and representatives available to answer questions and give rides. A great opportunity to make a side by side comparison in one place. You would be conspicuous there only by your absence if an EV Manufacturer. Handing out a paper spec sheet is not competitive with having an actual vehicle present.

Aptera Motors has never failed. Aptera Motors started in 2019. We should be emphasizing this point every chance we get in this forum and on social medial where ever we see a claim of Aptera failing once before. There was a previous Aptera which was liquidated with all funds returned to the submitters. The current Aptera Motors is not a continuation of that company. The current CEOs of Aptera Motors left that Aptera before it was liquidated. The current Aptera Motors has successfully solicited and received funding from private individuals and attracted financing for Venture Capitalists. Venture Capitalist do a very rigorous examination of a company before committing funds to support company development. The company is growing not shrinking in staffing and acquisition of facilities. Even before a production vehicle hits the road Aptera has 17,000 pre-production reservations, a significant business backlog. Comparing the current Aptera Motors with the previous Aptera is worse than an apples and oranges comparison.

• Bruce Jankowitz

February 22, 2022 at 9:21 am

I’m a reservation holder and an investor. I’d love for the public to see that is real and would love to see and sit in one too. Maybe I’m old school but to me this makes it real and will stop all the naysayers and folks that have trouble telling the difference between renderings and real vehicles. My vote is yes all auto shows and definitely NY!

• Kayleigh Venne

Administrator
    February 22, 2022 at 10:27 am

Hi Gary! Thanks for posting about this. We really look forward to sharing more about our 2022 event plan in the coming months as it’s a top priority for our Aptera Members to experience the solar electric dream machines firsthand! We value the importance of having an up close & personal experience with Aptera. We’re also aware of the Fully Charged event happening in San Diego in September! Stay tuned; it’s on our radar. Furthermore, we are prioritizing events that will allow us to educate communities on not only Aptera’s extreme efficiency, but also our mission to transform the world into a less destructive and more creative place through our breakthrough solar technology. We cannot wait to announce our upcoming events schedule. As Aptera Members, you’ll be the first to know. 💚

• Lander Stoddard

May 16, 2022 at 12:08 am

By September, it will be at least a Gamma version. If Fully Charged doesn’t do an episode on Aptera in conjunction with the FCL event, …well that’s just unthinkable!

• Stefan Obel

May 16, 2022 at 5:19 am

I agree with the OP (Gary).

Given the close proximity of the FCL event in San Diego to Aptera HQ it makes sense from a marketing and from a financial perspective.

Just take my very own case as an example: I consider myself a well-informed person yet until just a few days ago I never even heard of Aptera and it was only thanks to a segment on a show about the future of transportation I was streaming on “Curiosity Stream” that I learned about this company and their amazing vehicle (still tempted to call it a “car” lol).

I am sure there are many, many more people who have no idea.

On our local EV discussion group “range anxiety” is the most mentioned reason/fear that keeps people away from even considering an EV. The 600 miles and the 1000 miles trims of the Aptera would be a perfect match for many of those.

One of my neighbors drives in his diesel truck 5-6 times about 900 miles to meet his family. Just him, hardly any luggage – so the Aptera would certainly do it for him and be even faster since he wouldn’t need to stop to get gas as he does have to do know with his truck. (He claims he doesn’t need a stop if he could make it without one – safety concerns aside).

Another guy who lives in Montana claims that the nearest charger for him is 165 miles away and he feels with a “limited” range of even a TM3LR (352 EPA miles) he doesn’t feel “comfortable” with an EV. Maybe a range of 1000 miles on a single charge would help getting rid of his range anxiety.

So there are plenty of reasons to go out there and get some press coverage and exposure to the public. In the case of the San Diego FCL event that sounds like the perfect opportunity.

• Clifford Hume

May 16, 2022 at 8:47 am

how about the EV show in Seattle in July 2022?

• John Malcom

May 16, 2022 at 10:02 am

I think auto shows are risky until there are some gamma prototypes available to participate. the only ones available right now are Alphas with some number of physical and appearance defects. They are also not configured close to production. If you are going to have a coming out party among your contemporaries, you need to look as good as they do.

As has been mentioned on this forum by others, you get only one change for a first impression.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by  John Malcom. Reason: corrected spelling
Viewing 1 - 13 of 13 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now