AWD safety?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions AWD safety?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions AWD safety?

• AWD safety?

• James Fatula

May 5, 2022 at 10:56 am

I live in NJ, which is known for snow. Growing up, there has always been the word of advice to buy AWD for the snow instead of 2WD.

My question is, how much of a difference does AWD make on a 3-wheel vehicle vs. a 4-wheel vehicle?

I’m wondering if the triangle wheel array is more stable vs. the standard rectangle array on conditions like ice and snow? How beneficial would 3-wheel AWD be if this was my daily driver?

• This discussion was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  James Fatula. Reason: Text got repeated
  • Joshua Rosen

May 5, 2022 at 11:21 am

I live in MA and I’m getting AWD. Our roads get plowed quickly, it’s driveways where AWD makes a difference for me. I prefer not to use snow tires, swapping tires twice a years is inconvenient. The only FWD car I’ve had in recent decades was a Volt, when the first snow fell after I got it I couldn’t get out of the parking lot of a local store without a running start, I had to back up and get a head of steam to get over the hump at the end of the driveway. Without snow tires that car couldn’t function in the winter, with snow tires it was fine. With my AWD cars I’ve never needed snow tires, the all seasons work well in our conditions. However one thing that will be different with the Aptera is that it’s very very light. I’m driving a Tesla AWD which is great in the snow, even during a heavy snow storm, but that car weighs 4200lbs, more than twice as much as the Aptera. It remains to be seen if the Aptera can handle snow, I’m assuming that it will be a summer car until I know differently.

• Dennis Swaney

May 5, 2022 at 2:32 pm

I live in Prescott, AZ at 5300′ elevation. We do get snow but it is either only a couple of inches or it melts within a day or two, so I went with just FWD. I wonder if AWD can be installed after purchase if the owner decides it is needed?

• Oz (It’s Oz, just Oz)

May 5, 2022 at 3:56 pm

This has been asked on an early webinar (If not more than once) It had not been decided upon or fully evaluated by Aptera at that time.

• Peter Jorgensen

May 5, 2022 at 11:38 am

Normal FWD car – 55% weight on front axles and driven.

Aptera FWD car – 66% weight on front axles and driven.

In other words, Aptera’s FWD will feel about halfway between AWD and FWD in terms of traction. In terms of handling and balance while in a slide, I really don’t know yet. Some AWD cars are really well balanced in a slide (5EAT or 6MT Subaru for instance) while others (Honda CRV) are pretty much FWD all the time.

• Len Nowak Nowak

May 5, 2022 at 1:38 pm

In the FAQ AWD was suggested for snow

• James Fatula

May 5, 2022 at 4:43 pm

The FAQ states “With all-wheel-drive and vectorized torque control, Aptera handles beautifully in the snow and ice.” I was hoping to get an estimated percentage. To me, that’s like saying a coat will keep you warmer it’s a known fact extra layers will help. My question is more along the lines of how much warmer?

How much of a difference does AWD affect a 3-wheel vehicle compared to its 2WD equivalent. I want to know if I can get by in a 2WD (3 wheel vehicle) The same way I can make it through the winter in a 2WD (4Wheel vehicle)

With a 4-wheel Vehicle, you can get away with 2WD-FWD in the winter. Can you get by with a 2WD-FWD in a 3 Wheel vehicle?

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  James Fatula.
Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now