AWD vs Front wheel drive in Florida

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions AWD vs Front wheel drive in Florida

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions AWD vs Front wheel drive in Florida

• AWD vs Front wheel drive in Florida

• Laura Batchelor

November 27, 2021 at 7:23 pm

Can someone weigh in on the advisability of AWD in flat and snow-free Florida? I’m thinking that the extra mileage may make it worth getting the AWD. Also we can get some frog-strangler rain storms where it may be helpful, but I’m not entirely sure. We need to do monthly trips of about 200/250 miles round trip, mostly on Interstate highways with insane drivers that routinely do 70+ mph and tailgate. Thanks.

• Joel Smith

November 27, 2021 at 7:56 pm

You may have that backwards. The FWD will likely go some bit further than the AWD on a charge. Seems the only reasons to consider AWD in Florida is if you think that you need the extra acceleration and perhaps superior torque vectoring to better cope with water on the road and maybe escape from those manic brodozers.

• BigSky Country

November 27, 2021 at 8:45 pm

If range is on your radar, then FWD makes more sense. This car will be peppy enough without AWD. I can only think of 2 main reasons to go with AWD; you are a speed demon and want to blow sport cars away at red lights, or if you have serious weather concerns like snow. I’m in New England and I’m not considering AWD because I’m not willing to give up the range. Aptera’s design is too hard fought for efficiency and I want the range freedom I currently do not feel with my EV.

• Len Nowak

November 28, 2021 at 4:45 am

Good comments from the others!

The FAQ state about a 10% hit on range with AWD.

I am doing 60kwh for my hopeful occasional cross country trip, and for that slight AWD hit.

Off Road kit hit unknown ( weight/aero change ) “If Any Loss?”

I have 4 miles of primitive roads, where only about two months during monsoon I like AWD.

Rarely see snow here

I don’t need the 0-60 in 3.5 sec with AWD. The FWD’s 5.5 sec is more than I ever had!

Maybe you can rent, test drive a fast EV and assess that for yourself? Have an EV friend or go to and EV event where some give rides. I test drove a Tesla and Mach-e at dealerships or shows.

I drove my friend’s Tesla X ( AWD) for a few hundred mile interstate road trip mainly, with joy! Granted it was sunny and dry

Unlike ICE, pure torque, no hesitation when you accelerate !

Just know the vehicle acceleration rate you are test driving for full understanding

I had a ride in the Sol. Fast! and only a FWD alpha Aptera

• Joshua Rosen

November 28, 2021 at 7:57 am

Tesla ties the battery size to AWD, Aptera doesn’t. If you are buying a Tesla in Florida then you would want AWD just to get the bigger battery. With an Aptera the only advantage of AWD in Florida would be the extra acceleration but the hit to the range and the extra complexity (i.e. something else to go wrong) wouldn’t be worth it. I’m getting AWD because I live in Massachusetts and wouldn’t consider any car without it, AWD is the difference between having to put on snow tires or not.

• John Trotter

November 28, 2021 at 6:15 pm

All these answers were right. Because I am in a different situation, I’ll try to add a little bit of why we chose AWD.

Looking at Teslas, it is hard to get an exact comparison between AWD and RWD, but Wikipedia indicates that in 2014 there were both AWD and RWD Model S with EPA ratings of 40 and 38 kWh/100mi, a 5% hit. Also, the current Model X has two configurations listed: two motor and three motor, with ranges of 348 miles and 333 miles, respectively. Again 4 to 5% penalty for the third motor. I’m guessing the Aptera estimate of a 10% hit will prove to be conservative.

I do like the acceleration of our Tesla Model Y, Performance. After one test drive, my wife would have it no other way. Do we use it much? Of course not, we’re 75 years old for crying out loud.

We live in a flat desert, but it’s not far from serious mountains and we want four-season, go any direction, transport. In a “multi-generational” car, it’s hard to project where all it will be driven.

Motor noise will be more with the internal rear drive, but less than any ICE vehicle we’ve ever had.

There probably is no right or wrong answer. Both configuration will have plenty of power, range, and stability. Listen to early owner comments when it comes time to finalize your order, if you have any doubts.

• kerbe2705

November 28, 2021 at 8:40 pm

The rear wheel motor will still be outside the body of the Aptera: It’s just shrouded, like the front wheels.

• Richard Greete

November 28, 2021 at 6:20 pm

I had the same question as I live in Florida too. With the Aptera being so light, I am wondering about adding the third motor to avoid hydroplaning on seriously wet roads. Does anyone know if any test drives have been done with the Aptera in heavy rain? I am curious to know how the FWD and AWD will perform on wet roads. Thanks, I am new to the community so apologies if this has been discussed.

• Joel Smith

November 28, 2021 at 8:29 pm

Sounds like beta testing to me. Stay tuned.

• Curtis Cibinel

November 28, 2021 at 9:26 pm

As they start shipping stay tuned on YouTube (assuming you’re not in the first 500). Awd is the safer bet for winter but i hadn’t considered hydroplaining. For $2500 it’s also performance mode. I’ll also be offroad with that package.

• Laura Batchelor

November 29, 2021 at 2:45 pm

Thanks to everyone for the great information. Right now we are leaning toward the AWD for heavy rain conditions and the 1000 mile battery so it doesn’t matter if we lose a bit of range. I’m kind of hoping to see some beta testing on really wet roads/downpour situations before making a decision, but don’t know how long I should wait before ordering if there is going to be a price bounce in the near future.

John Trotter: Got a chuckle out of the 75 years old remark. I’m pushing 70, but my husband is turning 91 next month and he STILL likes the idea of going fast. (I do the driving!)

Richard Greete: We are in the Keys, so the rain here is less than on the mainland, but we do get into some really heavy storms when we have to go to Homestead/Miami. Lucky for us, too much rain is a valid excuse in the Keys for just not getting on the road, particularly if you are having fun right where you are. LOL

• Laura Batchelor

November 29, 2021 at 2:50 pm

Oh – and to Joel Smith: I did get it backwards. Thanks for pointing it out right away and saving me time going backwards.

Viewing 1 - 9 of 9 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now