Backup door lock mechanism

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Backup door lock mechanism

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Backup door lock mechanism

• Backup door lock mechanism

Y Z updated 3 weeks, 5 days ago 3 Members · 5 Posts
  • Y Z

July 11, 2022 at 3:36 pm

From what I have seen, the aptera looks to only have an electronic door mechanism. My apologies if that is not the case. This brings to mind several questions/ concerns:

-will there be a backup/ emergency latch on the interior in case of electronic failure?

-will there be a way to unlock/ open the door from the outside mechanically?

the first question is for obvious safety reasons, and as to the second, I have had cars sit with dead batteries and also a car which blew a door lock fuse that would have been difficult to get into without a spare mechanical key system. The aptera is aimed at being a durable car for many years, and from my experience, it seems to be small electronic systems like these that are more prone to failure with age. It would require minimal effort to have a mechanical interface for the doors, or at least the driver’s door that could help with access during unexpected failures. a mechanical system would probably be simpler than an electronic popper system that we have seen, and be more robust and less likely to fail.

For aerodynamic efficiency, it could be a flush handle, not unlike a tesla or some other cars

• Len Nowak

July 11, 2022 at 3:41 pm

This website’s FAQ states:

The Aptera vehicle will recognize that it is you trying to open the door through a proximity detection device such as a Bluetooth connection via smartphone, through our app, or a proximity key. Once inside the vehicle, you can open the door through the center screen controls. The doors will have a manual pull handle for emergencies.

The vehicle will automatically lock itself when you leave it. It recognizes you are not inside. For a lot of areas, things will be electric as that is just the standard nowadays and it is much easier to engineer. Rest assured, we will have a solution in place to allow for access to the vehicle without a mobile device. Further information will be shared once we have finalized this design. Please do not hesitate to contact us at info@aptera.us with any questions.

• Y Z

July 11, 2022 at 3:49 pm

Thank you Len. That answers the interior door releases. I would still like to have the option of a way of opening the door from the exterior mechanically as well. As to unlocking with an app or device, that can be very convenient now, but that technology could be depreciated in the future, whereas a physical key would work just as well in the next century as today. This would fit aptera’s philosophy on efficiency, simplicity, and longevity as well!

• kerbe2705

July 11, 2022 at 9:58 pm

@Y Z – Here’s how Tesla and the Ford Mach-e deal with the issue of being locked out: https://youtu.be/AKK_Vt1m5TA

• Y Z

July 12, 2022 at 10:55 am

I will take a look at them. Thank you!

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now