Battery build strategy and reservation order

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Battery build strategy and reservation order

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Battery build strategy and reservation order

• Battery build strategy and reservation order

• Paul Schultz

February 19, 2022 at 9:40 am

I will admit I both understand the reasoning behind not exactly following the reservation number order for delivering vehicles but it also is a bit deflating to have made a fairly early commitment and due to my build choice being pushed farther back in the queue. In the recent investor Q&A session, Chris Anthony clarified that while Aptera will start building the ~40kWh batteries first they will phase in the next battery build and then be manufacturing 40kWh vehicles and 25kWh vehicles in an intermixed fashion. They will continue to phase in other battery sizes in a similar fashion. He made it appear as if there could be some semblance of following the reservation order. I don’t want to change from by vehicle build just to get further up the queue. Did anyone catch this comment? Did you interpret as I did?

• BRUCE MENGLER

February 19, 2022 at 9:52 am

Yes, I caught the comment.

Yes, I interpreted it the same as you.

In theory, theory and
    reality are related. In reality theory & reality can differ
    GREATLY.

Not every version can be first off the assembly line.

Though not explicitly stated I suspect there are more orders for 400 mile pack, followed by 250 mile pack, followed by 600 mile pack, & last was 1000 mile version. I agree with the decision to produce what the customers want. Aptera Motors is staff & supply chain limited needs to make choices about where devote limited resources.

• Oz (It’s Oz, just Oz)

February 19, 2022 at 10:08 am

Bruce, I think they did state that they had more requests for 40kWh packs, but I don’t recall for the rest what the popularity was. The 40/25/60/100 order appeared to actually be in place prior to opening reservations, quite possibly based on both projected demand and difficulty of fitting the larger packs in. (Otherwise I would have expected the 100kWh packs first since that is one of the two biggest sales points they were advocating.)

• Oz (It’s Oz, just Oz)

February 19, 2022 at 10:02 am

I posed the question during the ambassadors webinar, CA basically verified that yes, they will roll out the 40kWh packs first, then the 25/60/100 in that order and add them to the mix so that all four models will be in production at the same time. Each pack (It seems, and it does make sense.) has to be individually designed to fit into the compartment. Originally IIRC in a Facebook chat on 12/4/21, it was implied that the time between the 40 packs and the 100 packs would only be a few months, I’m hoping that estimate continues to be true. As for changing your size request to speed up delivery, I don’t know, CA indicated it might, but really without a whole lot more information, we’re just guessing. I wouldn’t expect for an order placed today (Or really anything after the first few hundred), for the pack size to have any bearing on the timeline at all.

A really nice thing, would be for Aptera to come out and say that they will contact people in the queue as they get close (By whatever priority they apply, say location or date or whatever.) and verify what kind of time they are looking to get a vehicle at based on the pack they request at that point. That way they will get a more realistic gauge of what people actually want, not what people will enter because they think will get them the car faster.

• Len Nowak Nowak

February 19, 2022 at 10:35 am

Yes…. Sarah did say ” We will be reaching out to each reservation holder, when we get closer, to finalize and update an order”

I am personally “holding off’ for however long it takes for the 60kWh. My low reservation number and incentives should help “when that production run starts” 🤞

I need whatever range I will “net” from that 60 kWh choice with AWD and possible Off Road kit

A 2023 notice would thrill me!

My FIX… I have lucky friends with the Paradigm 40kWh reservation pre orders so I will visit and learn from them!😉

• Paul Schultz

February 19, 2022 at 10:45 am

I also selected the 60kWh with AWD. With the assumption that the battery will be set to operate between 10-90% to increase battery life that yields 48kWh of useable battery. Another ~20-25% hit for the midwest cold-weather season [based on the hit I see with my current Chevy Volt] and I don’t want to go below the 60kWh pack. The 40 would also work but I want more capacity.

• Kayleigh Venne

Administrator
    February 24, 2022 at 3:48 pm

Hi all! You understood correctly. We do plan to begin production with the 400-mile range version and then go onto the 250-mile range. We still plan to deliver the vehicles as close as we can to the order in which the reservations were placed. The Aptera team will contact you in Q3 to confirm your configuration and discuss your options! 🙂

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by  Kayleigh Venne. Reason: Fixing a redundant typo
    • John Malcom

February 24, 2022 at 3:57 pm

OOh…….getting close to a detailed production schedule. All will be very excited. You are the bearer of good news

• Kayleigh Venne

Administrator
        February 24, 2022 at 4:50 pm

Hi John! So glad to hear that!

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now