Bike Rack/Storage

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Bike Rack/Storage

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Bike Rack/Storage

• Bike Rack/Storage

Michael Bramel updated 1 month ago 12 Members · 19 Posts
  • Ryan Foy

June 29, 2022 at 11:05 am

Is there any intentions to get a rack or function to store a bike in the vehicle?

• Jonah Jorgenson

June 29, 2022 at 11:14 am

You can put a single bike in the storage area depending on its size. Thee are no plans for a bike rack or other device to take a bike along with the vehicle. Such a device, if mounted externally, would significantly degrade the aerodynamics of the vehicle.

However, after purchase you can equip the Aptera as you wish as long as you are OK with the affect of the modification on vehicle performance.

• Curtis Cibinel

June 29, 2022 at 11:29 am

If we get the possible trailer hitch that would allow for bike racks. Alternatively suction based ones could be used. Anything would degrade aerodynamics but that may not be a huge concern depending on the range you are driving with the bikes – even if degraded to the aerodynamics of a normal car (0.3 Cd) the 400 mile aptera would have about 250 miles of range at 55mph; I expect a bike rack would not be that bad.

PS: I think 2-3 bikes could fit in the back safely if stacked with blankets.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Curtis Cibinel. Reason: added speed detail
  • Joshua Rosen

June 29, 2022 at 11:39 am

Jonah is right about aerodynamics, I’m going to expand a little. Highway range is almost completely dependent on drag, anything that increases drag will significantly reduce your range. That’s doubly or quadruply true for the Aptera because it’s CoD is so incredibly low. Anything that you hang on it will have an outsized effect on your range because the percentage of the total drag of any parasitic device will be so high. With the Aptera you’ll want to figure out how to stuff your bikes inside the cargo area, maybe that means getting folding bikes or taking the wheels off, anything to make it fit inside.

The YouTube EV channels have been doing tests on the Ford F150 Lightning and the Rivian. Out Of Spec Motoring did a max payload test on both of them, weight in the beds of the F150 and Rivian had minimal effects on range, 5% for the Ford and 7% for the Rivian and the speculation was that the higher number on the Rivian was because it’s smaller and their test payload stuck up a little bit beyond the height of the cab. TFL did a towing test with the F150, the range was cut by a factor of three, essentially the Lightning is only usable for very short range towing. The F150 has the aerodynamics of a brick, .463 vs .13 for the Aptera, and it has a huge battery, 131KWh vs 40KWh for the first Apterae. My guess is that external bike rack on an Aptera will have a similar effect on it’s range as a trailer on an F150, assume the range will be cut by a factor of 3. For the 400 mile Aptera I’d assume no more than 100 miles of usable range if you hang a bike rack on the back.

• Curtis Cibinel

June 29, 2022 at 1:50 pm

At 55mph you would need a CD of 0.65 for the range to cut to 1/3rd range. This would be worse than any vehicle made. For comparison a simple cube at a 45 degree angle has a CD of 0.8. Weight from the bikes is almost negligible (unlike the towing) and the aerodynamic impacts would likely never be so extreme.

Anywhere I’d take bikes is within 50 miles and then often involves low speed dirt roads that suck range but not due to aerodynamics.

• James Gatan

June 29, 2022 at 12:11 pm

A rear bike rack, besides increasing the aero drag, would be obtrusive and hinder easy access to the charge port behind the license plate. If I have a bike, I’d rather lay it inside the storage area. Luckily one of my alternative “last miler” portable EVs, can be folded and fit nicely by the storage bed. The other one can even be stored easily, by the front passenger footwell area.

• Ryan Foy

June 29, 2022 at 12:56 pm

I guess I would just like the trunk to lift slightly to place the bike in the back if I had to pick so that it is able to fit if needed.

• Jonah Jorgenson

June 29, 2022 at 5:49 pm

They have fit a bike in the back before. With the Gamma the length of the storage area is longer and deeper. The true test will be for you to view an Aptera at one of the events and make your assessment in person.

• James Pace

June 30, 2022 at 9:32 am

I would be truly disappointed if the promised trailer hitch was dropped. All of my trailering needs (canoes, kayaks, bikes) are for short range shuttles. I’m not worried about the range loss on my 600m version. A simple class one receiver could be hidden within the rear wheel fairing, I hope.

• Norman Roberts

June 30, 2022 at 9:35 am

Where did you hear the promise of trailer hitch ??

• James Pace

June 30, 2022 at 9:40 am

In several earlier founder interviews, plus the first edition FAQ spreadsheet. I’m one of the early ambassadors so I’ve been paying close attention to this particular topic.

• Curtis Cibinel

June 30, 2022 at 10:42 am

I’m in the same boat. A simple receiver (even a motorcycle ball one) is important for me to be able to use the Aptera for all my needs.

• Adrian deLisser

June 30, 2022 at 11:11 am

@James Pace – Do you have a faired, light weight trailer in mind? I could use one to trailer mountain bikes for me and a ride partner. Typically these trips are less than 40 miles. I too have reserved the 600mile version.

• James Pace

July 5, 2022 at 4:07 pm

My rack and roll trailer doesn’t have a fairing, but I think it’s perfect. Much more versatile than a box.

• Michael Bramel

July 8, 2022 at 6:41 am

Made me look it up! More expensive than a hitch rack, but looks like a great accessory for the Aptera. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

• Gordon Niessen

July 6, 2022 at 2:24 pm

I also hope they have the hardpoint for a hitch or bike rake attachment. I also would not use it for long range travel. But would want it for light trailering of 1-2 kayaks or a bike rake for an e-bike.

• kerbe2705

July 5, 2022 at 9:27 pm

@Ryan Foy I haul a seven-foot recumbent using Seasucker – I plan to use it on my Aptera, as well. Aptera has posted images of an Alpha prototype with a bike in the storage area. https://www.seasucker.com/

• Curtis Cibinel

July 6, 2022 at 5:25 pm

Seems viable but it would take quite a lot to mount 2 13 foot kayaks. They seem to focus on bikes so some custom engineering would be needed. Would look really funny and will tank aerodynamics but should be doable with some work.

• David MACFADYEN

July 6, 2022 at 5:53 pm

I have a SeaSucker board rack . It has worked well on a Chev Spark EV. ( foil board from Toronto to PEI !) I’m hoping that the SeaSucker will work on the Aptera. I’m guessing that a roof with solar panels won’t be as smooth as a roof with no solar panels.

Viewing 1 - 9 of 9 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now