Bottons or not

Aptera Community Solar EV Industry News Bottons or not

Aptera Community Solar EV Industry News Bottons or not

• Bottons or not

• Vernon Michael Gardner

August 21, 2022 at 2:29 pm

Buttons or no buttons?

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a40949962/car-buttons-easier-than-touchscreens-study

• Kevin Bradbury

August 21, 2022 at 2:37 pm

Buttons.

Knobs.

Would even enjoy a toggle or two.

• Bob Kirchner

August 21, 2022 at 2:42 pm

Every indication so far is that Aptera’s HVAC and entertainment systems will be touch screen driven, mostly because it’s cheaper. I agree that it’s a trend that needs to die a painful death, but for now, Aptera needs to be competitive. I just hope there are switches for the lights, wipers and cruise control.

• Bart Cunningham

August 21, 2022 at 5:03 pm

I agree I would like switches for some often used functions but lights? I have had my car almost three years and I have never touched the headlight switch. I really don’t do much with the headlight dimmer either as it is automatically controlled. Wipers, yes, Cruise Control, yes. A volume knob would be VERY useful.

• Norman Roberts

August 21, 2022 at 4:42 pm

If they could utilize voice commands problem solved and safety would increase

• Paul Carlucci

August 21, 2022 at 5:11 pm

“Hey car, turn on the air conditioner.”

“Ok, deploying airbags.”

• Kevin Bradbury

August 21, 2022 at 6:43 pm

That’s hilarious but so true. I had a portable Garmin GPS that had voice command functions which you would have to say “voice command” and she would say “state a command”. One day I was talking to my cousin and explained that letting tuna fish salad get hot is a good way to get food poisoning. “State a command”. Huh? “Food poisoning”. “State a command”. What the hell? Have no idea in what language the phrase “food poisoning” sounds like “voice command”.🤔

• Joshua Rosen

August 22, 2022 at 10:37 am

I wonder if they’ll have voice commands. I use Tesla’s all the time for things like turning on the wipers or setting the fan speed, works great. Unfortunately they are rolling their own infotainment software instead of buying it from Google like Polestar has. If they were to use Android Automotive they would automatically get the worlds best voice recognition plus Google Maps, Waze and lots of streaming services. Maybe they’ll license Alexa, that’s a another great solution for voice.

• Jerry Kingzett

August 22, 2022 at 9:50 am

I vote for Buttons, Knobs, and Toggle Switches, Oh My. But keep it simple as possible. I just looked at my steering wheel on my two year old Chevy Bolt and discovered two buttons that I don’t know what they are for. The Bolt’s shifter is stupid because it just an expensive selector switch two buttons. As a lifelong user of a stick shift I have the bad habit of resting my right hand on the shifter while at a stop light and inadvertently pressed the park button multiple times. I would be happier with the controls on the Wuling Mini EV.

• Clint Nichols Nichols

August 22, 2022 at 11:40 am

I am ok with touch-screen as they are constantly upgradable, and configurable, BUT some things really need to have a button or a knob. Even if it is just ONE thing. Have a volume/mute knob. I have a 2017 Ridgeline with a full touch screen and it is beyond aggravating to try to turn the volume down. Especially on those early mornings when you’re barely awake and you were blasting the volume on your favorite song the night before when you shut it off. While I do have a button on the steering wheel for this, the responsiveness of that, and the display screen are abysmal. The knob in my wife’s 2019 Odyssey is instantaneous, simply and efficient.

• Jon Klinvex

August 23, 2022 at 8:30 am

Your first sentence is exactly how I feel. If Aptera is committing to make the vehicle upgradable over time, I’m okay with having everything in the screen. Buttons are definitely better, no question there. But I’ll forgo buttons if that means I can upgrade to better tech over time. No other car company I’m aware of will do that. I can’t imagine that the volume control wouldn’t be accessible by one of the steering wheel controls.

• Paul Van Steenberghe

August 22, 2022 at 9:23 pm

Buttons, knobs and toggles are so much better for things like volume control, heating and ventilation, opening gloveboxes, wipers, etc. sure a touch screen and associated software can be upgraded and be used for many options, but for common things that are done while driving, I don’t want a touch screen, I want knobs, buttons and toggles.

• John Voules

August 22, 2022 at 9:29 pm

Absolutely makes total sense. As you learn to use buttons you can feel around without taking eyes off road. Can’t be done on a screen…screens are more functional when you are stopped.

• Paul Van Steenberghe

August 22, 2022 at 9:35 pm

Yes, screens are great for everything you don’t need to do while driving.

• Jerry Freter

August 23, 2022 at 9:36 am

Right. And keep the missile launchers, oil sprays, and passenger eject functions controlled by switches. They are so much more satisfying to use than choosing a menu screen or voice control when your passenger is annoying

Viewing 1 - 7 of 7 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now