Buying in California and Driving Home (Across Country)

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Buying in California and Driving Home (Across Country)

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Buying in California and Driving Home (Across Country)

• Buying in California and Driving Home (Across Country)

• Tony Bonta

July 22, 2022 at 10:42 pm

Apologies if this has been discussed previously, but I couldn’t find any mention of this topic when I searched for it. I’m wondering what the possibility would be of ordering my Aptera as a local pickup in San Diego, even though I live in MD.

When my Aptera is ready, I’d love to fly out to SD, pick it up and drive it home on a temporary registration. This would serve a couple purposes…

1) I think it would help get me higher up on the delivery list (I’ve heard that Aptera will prioritize orders that are closer to their production facilities as well as the 400 mile battery range option [which I’ve selected]).
    2) I think it would probably be cheaper for me to fly out and pick it up than it would be to pay for shipping.
    3) It would also give me a chance to visit some friends in CA and enjoy a drive back across the country getting to know my new Aptera.

Does anyone know if this might be possible?

• David Marlow

July 22, 2022 at 11:30 pm

Yes Tony, it has been discussed so much that there has not been much discussion about shipping costs. It seems that most of the people with reservations are retired so we have the time to make the trip, or could take a few days off and would also like a factory tour while they are there.

Unfortunately, being willing to pick it up at the factory will not do much to get it faster sense they want the first 2 or 3 months of production (while ramping up) to go southern California customers, if anyone has a problem they want to see it back to analyze it.

Also I assume that the right to repair program will take a few months to get going and it would be nice for the to know what kind of problems to be ready to help people with.

• Dennis Swaney

July 23, 2022 at 4:22 pm

Actually they implied a “local” radius of about 500 miles, so that could include as far as Sacramento, CA; Reno and Las Vegas,NV; all of Arizona except for the Four Corners area, and the Mexican border to the south. After they are finished with deliveries in that area, then they can do Northern California, Oregon, the rest of Nevada, Utah, New Mexico, and maybe Colorado.

• OZ (It’s OZ, Just OZ)

July 23, 2022 at 4:24 pm

“Actually they implied a “local” radius of about 500 miles” Where was this implied?

• Dennis Swaney

July 23, 2022 at 4:42 pm

I heard it somewhere when they were discussing it. It caught my attention because I’m just over 400 miles from Carlsbad depending on the route I take:

• OZ (It’s OZ, Just OZ)

July 23, 2022 at 5:06 pm

Probably just someone’s “guess” that becomes canon after a while. What I’ve seen in Aptera statements, just indicates SoCal, if you add that to some of the items in the SEC filings, it seems to imply areas with large concentrations of reservations after SoCal. My money would be on NorCal as there are probably many reservations in the SFO/SAC area, and it keeps the first sales within CA, which probably would simplify sales procedures, taxes, etc.

• James Gatan

July 23, 2022 at 8:28 pm

Being in Los Angeles, I’d probably be one of many first early adopters of an AWD/400mi pack variant.

• Hee-Choon Lee

July 23, 2022 at 2:55 am

Tony, for the very same reason as you mentioned I emailed and asked if I could pick up my Aptera in San Diego. I got a very nice and positive response saying that I could most certainly do so. However I am not sure that my Aptera will be available any sooner. Nevertheless, I think it’s a good idea to visit family and friends with my new Aptera 🙂

• Tony Bonta

July 23, 2022 at 4:53 am

Okay the point about closer customers working through problems does make sense. But I’d still like to pick it up and drive it back home… which sounds very possible.

Thanks for the feedback

• John Malcom

July 23, 2022 at 8:34 am

As they have stated, Aptera will provide more information on the delivery process close to general delivery to reservation holders. I would expect this to come after the trial local deliveries. Aptera has said that they will contact each reservation holder prior to their delivery time to discuss configuration specifics and the details regarding delivery of their vehicle.

From time to time Aptera has indicated that they will provide assistance with financing and registration. Initially, Aptera said delivery was included in the vehicle price. We are now in a different environment than we were when these statements were initially made so these conditions may have changed. With inflation, I would not be surprised that a customer would have to pay either all or part of delivery cost but this is an unsupported guess on my part. If this turns out to be true then picking up the Aptera in SD would save the delivery charge.

I live in FL and like you will pick up my Aptera in SD and enjoy the drive back!

I have an early reservation of a 400 MI variant so with that and willingness to pick up in SD I hope to get mine earlier than waiting for delivery to migrate all the way cross the US to FL

• John Voules

July 23, 2022 at 11:16 am

If I may also add… I believe the longer we wait for the confirmation and contact, we may get a better sense of when all wheel drive 3×3. Will most likely be available. We may have the option to change are choices in a more informed and timely matter.

• Arlen Bell

July 24, 2022 at 10:02 am

I’ve given a lot of thought to the idea of picking up in SD (Carlsbad) and driving across country. My concern is what happens if you are halfway and a major problem develops and the vehicle can’t be driven? A real problem for early buyers in particular if Aptera hasn’t worked all the support issues out yet. It wouldn’t be good PR for a stranded Aptera to be in the news. I’m hoping we get some information in early 2023 about additional assembly locations closer to the East Coast.

• seth feldman

July 23, 2022 at 11:06 am

Well my plan is to go to SD and rent a dump truck. Step 2 get 3830000 pennies. Step 3 dump the pennies in their parking lot. Step 4 drive off with my new cartocycle

• John Malcom

July 23, 2022 at 2:03 pm

You better get the AWD variant or you might get stuck in the mountain of pennies

• Dennis Swaney

July 23, 2022 at 4:28 pm

What’s worse is that it costs the US taxpayer 5¢ to mint a penny coin!

• GLENN ZAJIC

July 23, 2022 at 11:31 pm

The minting and use of the penny has been one of the most stupid things we have continued to do for the last 20 years or so. I wonder what it will take for the government to wake up to this!!! Do you think computers can’t handle rounding to the nearest nickel?

• Dennis Swaney

July 24, 2022 at 11:19 am

Longer. 40 years ago the US military in Europe stopped using pennies. The $1 bill is another out dated piece of currency. Think of then amount of copper & zinc that could be freed up to use on the Aptera (if needed) by eliminating the penny.

• kerbe2705

July 24, 2022 at 12:39 pm

@Dennis Swaney The actual cost of a US penny is $.021 while a nickel costs $.0852. A dime, on the other hand, is a bargain at only $.0439 and they’re practically GIVING away quarters at $.0963!

• kerbe2705

July 24, 2022 at 12:44 pm

@Tony Bonta I just checked a few car-shipping services and it looks as if the average cost to ship an average car from SD to Baltimore is just under $1800.00.

• Tony Bonta

July 24, 2022 at 1:51 pm

Wow! Thanks for checking into that.

All the more justification for an in person pickup in San Diego when my Aptera’s ready

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by  Tony Bonta.
      • kerbe2705

July 24, 2022 at 4:36 pm

@Tony Bonta Well, if you add-in the cost of getting to BWI, airfare, carfare (or car rental) at SAN, prolly a hotel in SD, carfare to Aptera’s distribution location and then the four-day + drive home (with lodging and meals and charging fees), your expenses aren’t going to be far off the cost of delivery… If you decide to take Amtrak, instead, it’s going to be closer to 1.5 x the cost of delivery.

• James Gatan

July 24, 2022 at 8:53 pm

Kerbe, funny you mentioned Amtrak to SD. That is my original plan to pick my Aptera. Am taking an Amtrak Pacific Surfliner train from Union Station in DTLA to the Carlsbad factory, with my electric unicycle in tow, riding it in between from my LA home. It will be an adventure in itself.

My 16X EUC is the missing 4rth wheel of my Aptera. Will be riding this Chinese electric hub motor #4, on the way to pick up the other 3 Slovenian wheels, assembled in Carlsbad. 😂

• larry kaiser

July 25, 2022 at 5:36 am

I am going to do a factory pickup and have had a lot of fun figuring out a route back to Omaha and charging opportunities along the way. I think I can make the trip using free charging. Plug Share has me able to use free level 3 charging all the way except for the last 300 miles in Nebraska (my Aptera will be a 400-mile version). I will charge on some free level 2 chargers when I need to take a break or get lunch. I always travel with a cooler so there will probably be only 3 or 4 meals in restaurants. If you stay at hotels, it is easy to find ones that offer free charging. I am going to camp a couple times and maybe stay in a hotel once or not depending on how comfortable my air mattress and sleeping bag are. I expect to be able to bring Terry home for $150 or less. There will be a thread when people start picking up at the factory and I will let you guys know how it went for me.

• Eric Quinn

July 24, 2022 at 3:13 pm

When I ordered mine. It said Free Shipping

I be willing to cut the cost for them, if they pay for my ticket to San Diego. And voucher for free set of tires. Its only 2,993 miles to get back home.

• Tony Bonta

July 24, 2022 at 6:19 pm

My wife or kids can drop me off at BWI. I’ve got friends I can visit in SD. I’ll have to pay for a couple hotel stays on the drive home, but I’m feeling pretty confident I’ll be able to do the trip for less than a grand. Plus, it will be cool to see the Aptera facilities and get to have a little adventure on the drive back

• John Voules

July 24, 2022 at 6:21 pm

Tony, maybe buy the camping package? It will pay for itself after your 1st trip.

• Tony Bonta

July 24, 2022 at 7:19 pm

I’m already most likely gonna pick up the camping package. Whether I can use it or not will depend on the time of year I pick it up. But it would be pretty neat to do a little camping in my new vehicle on the way back to the East coast

• Che McKittrick

July 25, 2022 at 6:07 am

Even though I love road tripping, I’d rather have it delivered (preferably free) than pick it up.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 10 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now