Can you cross shop a 2 seater Aptera vs an ICE car?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Can you cross shop a 2 seater Aptera vs an ICE car?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Can you cross shop a 2 seater Aptera vs an ICE car?

• Can you cross shop a 2 seater Aptera vs an ICE car?

Jon Arryn updated 1 week, 2 days ago 7 Members · 10 Posts
  • James Gatan

June 17, 2022 at 8:50 pm

Yes, I did.

The ICE was a 2 seater 2022 Mazda Miata RF (MSRP $35,350; eyeing it for almost 2yrs to replace my 6MT 2014 Mazda6 Touring, until I stumbled upon the Aptera). I optioned my AWD pre order for $35,500 (B Noir, Vida, ORK, Safe Pilot, 400mi pack).

The $150 difference is well worth the 0-60mph in 2.3 sec less (Miata RF 0-60mph 5.8sec). 👌

What ICE did you cross shop vs the Aptera..

• This discussion was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by  James Gatan.
  • Dennis Swaney

June 18, 2022 at 7:51 am

None, as I still have the Miata I bought in July 1989. I also have the ’05 Jetta Wagon TDI I bought in 2011.

• Fanfare 100

June 18, 2022 at 10:20 pm

Yup, Aptera will soon prove to be an extremely good value in comparison to just about any other 2-seater sports car, even the Miata!

• James Gatan

June 18, 2022 at 10:46 pm

Yes. The Aptera is even roomier, yet lighter than a Miata. More practical as a daily driver and far away more economical to own and operate. With AWD I configured, and gobs to torque upon take off, it will definitely be more fun-to-drive than a Miata. I can’t wait to take delivery.

• Joshua Rosen

June 19, 2022 at 8:39 am

I would no more consider an ICE vehicle, any ICE vehicle, then I would consider a CRT monitor. ICE is obsolete, they are hideously complex compared to electric motors and they don’t perform nearly as well. I switched to EVs in 2016 with a Volt and then I got a Tesla in 2019. I’ve also replaced my lawn mower and snow blower with EGOs, they start immediately, stop immediately and they are quiet.

• James Gatan

June 19, 2022 at 11:35 am

Agreed. Well, I considered myself a hold-out for ICE cars, as most BEVs currently in the market, are heavy, expensive, inefficient and my main gripe..the recharging hassles. Aptera had checked and fixed all the boxes of my concerns. Thus, upon rediscovering and learning more of this amazing vehicle, I decided it is time. The Aptera is the BEV I am searching for, all along.

The Aptera will not necessarily be my 1st EV in that sense, as I own 3 PEVs currently (one of my hobbies). All are used as either last miler, local errands, leisure and for work commutes as well. A portable King Song 16X electric unicycle, an Apollo City & Laotie Land Breaker electric scooters. The 1st 2 EV I use often, and can easily be stored inside the trunk of my ICE car. The 1554Wh KS 16X EUC (65mi range, 31mph tops) is my favorite, as it can be wheeled along with you literally anywhere, like a carry on spinner (has a trolley handle). I even park the thing, under my work desk.

• Dan Kerpe

June 19, 2022 at 12:37 pm

I disagree for now. As a disclaimer, I’m an engineer for an ICE manufacturer that is also branching into electric. It’s all about use though. I agree that electric is already a winner for cars. It still sucks in the marine world where I play though. Same goes for aviation. Battery tech just isn’t ready yet to replace ICE in weight sensitive applications. It’ll get there, but for now ICE’s will still have their place. I happily look forward to when that changes.

• Joshua Rosen

June 19, 2022 at 1:01 pm

I should have qualified my statement a bit. I’ve never owned a truck or had any desire to own a truck, I’d rather have things delivered, but for someone who wants to haul a trailer or a boat more than a hundred miles an ICE truck is still the best solution. Jet planes aren’t going to be replaced by electric planes in my lifetime, very short haul prop planes are in the works but medium haul planes won’t be electric for years. As for boats and ships, they will need engines for a very long time. If you can’t use a sail then your only alternative are engines of some sort. If the cost of hydrogen ever comes down where it would be competitive with fossil fuels then that might be an alternative for ships and planes, but until there is a surplus of clean electricity it shouldn’t be wasted on something as inefficient as hydrogen.

• Roger Tocchetto Tocchetto

June 22, 2022 at 10:16 am

You can certainly purchase a nice ICE car for the money, small-mid sized SUVs, sedans, small trucks. But these cars won’t go far with solar power, no ICE or electric car available will!

• Jon Arryn

June 22, 2022 at 11:06 am
Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now