Canadian Competition – Daymak Spiritus

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Canadian Competition – Daymak Spiritus

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Canadian Competition – Daymak Spiritus

• Canadian Competition – Daymak Spiritus

• Curtis Cibinel

December 21, 2021 at 3:58 pm

Interesting to see what appears to be fairly direct competition for Aptera. The Electric Viking covered the Daymak Spiritus which claims to be targeting a 2024 release date. It shares a lot with the Aptera being efficient 3 wheelers with solar and Elaphe motors. $20-22k base price for 180 miles of range is comparable to the base Aptera. Not unsurprisingly it looks like they are less efficient despite being lighter/smaller. They have a larger 75kw wheel motor giving a higher top speed but strangely slower 6.9 second base 0-60.

PS: The crypto mining in a car thing just hurts my brain and I’m ignoring that marketing gimic. Some claims like the 1350lb weight with a 80kw battery seem hard to believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePl9NHPfsRg

CAMPAIGN

Vs Aptera Pros

– Cheaper Starting Price
    – Narrower (Europe/Parking)
    – Higher Top Speed (likely Elaphe L1500)
    – Looks more traditional
    – Domestic battery supply
    – Costco / Walmart distribution deals with $1B in wholesale preorders (that seems insane to me)

Vs Aptera Cons
    – Massive price difference between base 180 mile version ($20k) and the $150k Ultimate
    – 2+ years behind Aptera (prototype looked very preliminary)
    – No storage space
    – Likely inferior safety (still has airbags)
    – No AWD Option (Except $150k version)
    – Aptera is massively more efficient
    – No safetypilot / level 2
    – Solar panels for “non-mechanical systems”
    – Why is the reverse camera only on the $150k version….

• Joshua Rosen

December 21, 2021 at 5:05 pm

Daymak doesn’t pass the smell test. The biggest red flag is that they have both a $20K and a $150K car on their website, if they were serious they would be focusing on a single vehicle. The second red flag is the crypto mining, WTF is that doing in a car, it means they are just throwing buzz words around. One more thing that was mentioned in the video but I didn’t see in the spec sheet is wireless charging. I really don’t think that the first place that wireless car charging is going to show up is in a $20K car. Wireless charging is coming, an ex-colleague was working for WiTricity, don’t know if he’s still there, so I know it’s a real thing, but I just don’t believe that Daymak is going to be the first company to ship it. Once again it sounds like they are cutting and pasting buzz words.

• Curtis Cibinel

December 21, 2021 at 5:18 pm

Observations I made – definitely failing some “smell tests” the deeper I look:

– Wireless charging is for the $150k trim only (reporting is bad)
      – The elaphe motors cant operate at the RPM required for the indicated top speeds
      – Reporting massive wholesale preorders is weird. Likely very soft commitment.
      – Lack of mid-tier models is extreme. The price / feature difference seems deliberately confusing
      – Lots of people like crypto (I don’t) and if you cant charge the car with the solar you might as well do something with it
      – 1.8 second 0-60 would be amazing ($150k version) but might be real given the low weight and huge tires
      – “Autonomous driving and Tire sensors” as a bullet point seems really weird / sketchy to group together. ($150k version)
      – reservations for the car are not refundable.
      – despite apparently selling lots of ebikes every product seems to be “coming soon”
      – Looking at the skyrider screams snake oil

Viewing 1 - 2 of 2 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now