Cargo volume capacity and parking width

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Cargo volume capacity and parking width

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Cargo volume capacity and parking width

• Cargo volume capacity and parking width

Ray Holan updated 1 month, 4 weeks ago 18 Members · 30 Posts
  • kerbe2705

January 17, 2022 at 10:41 am

Although we know that the weight capacity of an Aptera is limited to 500 lbs. (227 kg.), this video demonstrates the volumetric capacity of the “Sol” Alpha. It also shows Aptera parked in a standard Costco parking space. https://youtu.be/odhTdf9S9h0

• Peter Dezendorf

January 17, 2022 at 1:28 pm

Great video!

• Joshua Rosen

January 17, 2022 at 2:06 pm

I was happy to see that the Aptera fit into a Costco parking space given that it’s wider than an F150

• kerbe2705

January 17, 2022 at 10:15 pm

The overall width of a 2021 Ford F-150 – from side mirror to side mirror – is 95.7 inches: That’s considerably wider than an Aptera.

• Joshua Rosen

January 19, 2022 at 7:56 am

Mirrors don’t count. Mirrors are up high, they don’t block anyone’s door and they are at eye level. The F150 is 79.9 to 86.6″ wide.

• Joshua Caldwell

January 18, 2022 at 6:39 am

It’s not F150 wide, but it is 2″ wider than my Cadillac DeVille.

• Pistonboy Delux

January 17, 2022 at 3:17 pm

I fear the people pulling into adjacent parking spaces will not notice the outrigged wheels and run into them.

• John LaRocque

January 17, 2022 at 4:48 pm

I was worried about that too, but I figure if you pull forward into the space you should be fairly safe – people are more likely to cut corners as they turn in and will usually be straightened out by the time they get to the front of the spot. (Maybe that’s an optimistic view of average parking prowess though.)

I’m more concerned about parallel parking. I guess you could face the curb slightly so that the rear of the car protects the outside wheel.

• Lou Verner

January 17, 2022 at 4:52 pm

I’m thinking it would be safer to back into spaces – more likely that outrigger wheels would be seen and avoided…but maybe I’m also being overly optimistic as well!

• kerbe2705

January 17, 2022 at 10:14 pm

Why would they not notice them? Do people regularly pull into parking spaces and hit adjacent vehicles? For one thing, Aptera’s front wheels are visually different than most other front wheels: That, alone, will cause people to notice them.

• Jon_J

January 17, 2022 at 10:34 pm

Agree. When pulling in, I’m watching the lines that define the parking space. I’m sure not going to miss seeing the wheel pants of the Aptera parked in the next space over. When driving an Aptera, I’d be more inclined to park front-in just like in the video, though. Not just for ease of loading groceries, but also because someone backing out of the next space in an F350 is not going to overlook my wheels and bump into them as they make the 90 degree turn.

• John Malcom

January 17, 2022 at 10:41 pm

I would suspect because they are so low and so far from the body of the vehicle. The driver would see the body of the Aptera and perhaps assume the wheels were in the same place they are on a car. (Under fenders contiguous with the body of the car) Especially if the driver is in a wide, high, truck or large SUV. If you look at the Aptera in the Costco parking space, it takes up nearly all of the space and the wheels are very close to the line on both sides. Costco spaces are quite wide. Certainly parking spaces designated for “Compact” cars would need to be avoided.

• Joshua Caldwell

January 18, 2022 at 6:42 am

Three times I’ve had people pull in and hit my car and once where I was backed into, and that’s when I had a narrower car than my current one… I’ve learned it’s safer to park in the empty part of a lot and walk 20 more seconds than try for the closest spot available. It is common (as in nearly daily) that I see cars parked over the paint for the edge of a parking space.

• Peter Dezendorf

January 18, 2022 at 6:58 am

I recommend you make another video along the same line. The difference would be show items suggested by members either being loaded, or in the trunk. My suggestions:

1) Two golf bags with golf shoes and other golf junk

2) When I rode a bicycle regularly for pleasure, I would take the front wheel off place the bike and wheel in the trunk and drive to a trail head. As I am rather tall, the frame was the largest available. Show that!

• Peter Jorgensen

January 18, 2022 at 11:27 am
      • Peter Dezendorf

January 18, 2022 at 4:25 pm

Thanks!

• Pistonboy Delux

January 19, 2022 at 10:33 am

At time 1:55, they show the license plate open and doing something there with a key. I suspect it is related to the opening and locking of the hatch.

I also suspect this is only for the alpha model.

• Pistonboy Delux

January 19, 2022 at 10:35 am

Does the rear window have to come down that low? Everything in the cargo area is visible to the public.

• V Pilot

January 20, 2022 at 4:38 pm

Some window tint and problem solved

• John Wiley

January 18, 2022 at 3:26 pm

Along the same line, I wrote Aptera a couple of months ago suggesting they release a video that would show an average sized person loading a full 5-gal bottle of water into the back storage area. They said they thought that was a great idea. Haven’t seen it yet.

• Ray Holan

January 18, 2022 at 5:12 pm

As has been suggested, I think Aptera should do more short videos like the Costco run. These could depict loading items other than groceries, tall drivers getting into the vehicle, etc. This category of video is more compelling to me than 30 minutes of “atmosphere” videos of Apterae zipping along the ocean. Call me a pragmatist. Guilty as charged.

• Bob Kirchner

January 19, 2022 at 5:53 am

I still want to see if it can handle a small stack of 8 foot long 2x4s.

• Ray Holan

January 19, 2022 at 6:06 am

Well we know a standard 4 x 8 sheet of plywood is never going to fit. The two by fours can always stick out a bit and sport a red warning flag

• Curtis Cibinel

January 18, 2022 at 6:31 pm

Lol great video idea. Bonus the company buys your groceries…

The shape of the storage in an Aptera seems that in most cases it will be deceptively capable. I would also assume you could place something big like a lazy boy with the hatch open, straps and a flag

• Thomas Bushaw

January 19, 2022 at 7:49 am

Your 0.13 drag coefficient may take a hit, though! 😊

• Joshua Caldwell

January 19, 2022 at 7:16 am

Nice! I’ve never had a car that I could fit a bike inside before, it always had to be on an exterior mount.

• Robert Howe

January 19, 2022 at 9:19 am

Will my bicycle fit too?

I can take the front wheel off. It’s 54″ in diameter.

(It doesn’t fit in my Fit.)

• Robert Howe

January 19, 2022 at 9:21 am

…I’m actually serious. Will a wheel 54″ in diameter fit through the rear hatch opening?

• Jared Johnson

May 6, 2022 at 12:33 pm

Can’t decide between the Aptera and the Canoo Truck (already put down a deposit).
    Are there any plans for a hitch so that I can carry 2 ebikes via a hitch-mounted bike rack or to tow a micro camping trailer?

• Ray Holan

May 6, 2022 at 12:57 pm

Hi, Jared. Nothing has been officially announced re: plans for a hitch although there have been several posts at various times asking about it. IMHO the body structure would likely need some kind of reinforcement in the area where a prospective hitch might be located.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 10 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now