Changing a tire

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Changing a tire

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Changing a tire

• Changing a tire

Dennis Swaney updated 1 week, 5 days ago 11 Members · 27 Posts
  • Charles Nelson

June 15, 2022 at 2:17 pm

Will it take an engineering degree to change a tire, especially the rear tire?

• John Voules

June 15, 2022 at 2:44 pm

Several engineering degrees will be required.

In reality they are designing the vehicle including the front wheel removal to be able to be changed easily. Mentioned in a video…front wheel coves to be able to take off (planning with 1 tool) for removal with in 5 minutes. Every aspect of ownership is addressed with user functionality in mind. The more I educate my self with Aptera the more I’m impressed.

• Curtis Cibinel

June 15, 2022 at 2:44 pm

No. It is just like any vehicle. the wheel pants are designed for easy removal (potentially toolless TBD). The wheel motors have no impact on the process to change tires.

• John Voules

June 15, 2022 at 5:41 pm

Tried to locate video of engineer’s explanation of his goal to develop wheel hoods with 1 tool removal. For me it doesn’t make sense to be able to remove with out tool. Anyone could walk by the vehicle and take home a hood. Please advise if something more recent was shown…this was about month or 2 ago.

Of course wheel removal would be the same as a standard road vehicle.

• Curtis Cibinel

June 15, 2022 at 5:44 pm

I think it is this one. The same theft concern was raised in the video so ya I hope they make them at least a little more difficult to remove.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgRF_O4ilhM

• John Voules

June 15, 2022 at 7:50 pm

Yep…that’s it, just finished watching it again. There is now also a newer one same engineer although shaven this time. With a finalized version..not sure if he mentioned tool for use of locking or unlocking fasteners?

• kerbe2705

June 15, 2022 at 4:12 pm

@Charles Nelson Aptera’s wheels have a standard 5-bolt connection. You’ll just remove the wheel cover and unbolt the wheel.

• Paul Schultz

June 16, 2022 at 3:28 am

While they may have individual tire pressure readings on the center console if I want to manually check tire pressure how easy will it be? Will I have to remove any component of the wheel cover? How about the rear wheel?

• EVservices .us

June 16, 2022 at 7:23 am

The wheel covers may be high enough that access to the valve stem with an air pressure gauge can be accomplished without needing to remove them.

• Juan 911

June 16, 2022 at 4:16 am

You do pose an interesting question I hadn’t really thought of. Does anyone happen know how we would get access to the rear wheel when there is a flat tire and where the jack points of the vehicle will be?

• EVservices .us

June 16, 2022 at 7:25 am

The same as the front wheels – you remove the cover and there’ll be a jack point in that area (probably right under the swing arm)

• Patrick Liebknecht

June 19, 2022 at 12:01 pm

I’m more interested in the size of the tires , I’m hoping they won’t be some silly proprietary size like the original dodge neon, seeing as tires are one of the dirty little secrets of EVs.

Scotty Kilmer noted that EV tires need to be changed far more frequently than standard auto tires and rotated even more frequently, EV tires are far more expensive than standard ice tires, ranging between $1200 and $3000 for a set depending on the size and brand.

• Dennis Swaney

June 19, 2022 at 12:30 pm

195/45R16 is the tire size. Here is one I found at tirerack.com:

VREDESTEIN QUATRAC

Grand Touring All-Season

• Size: 195/45R16 84V XL
      • Style: Blackwall
      • Load Range: XL
      • Serv. Desc: 84V
      • UTQG: 400 A A
      • Severe Snow Service Rated
      • Per Tire: $124.64

So rounding up to $125, a set of three will be $#75 before taxes, shipping, and installation.

• James Gatan

June 19, 2022 at 12:38 pm

I’ve seen Scotty’s YT video as well. Our Apterea are light, so tires will not be replaced as often as the heavier BEVs. In regards to tires, I’ve posed the question about tire rotation some days back..

Since we’re at it, how about..

Front Wheel Tire Alignment?

😄

• John Voules

June 19, 2022 at 12:18 pm

Because of instant torc, tires are under higher stress, specific tires are developed to deal with it. Range is effected, doesn’t mean you can’t use a typical all season tire, I’ve seen them priced under $75. Vehicle also being lighter than most will add to longevity. If you are somewhat hammering it …don’t expect any tire to last too long.

• Patrick Liebknecht

June 19, 2022 at 1:05 pm

That’s not terrible at all.

Good thing it’s not a heavy Tesla

• James Gatan

June 19, 2022 at 1:53 pm

Frequency of tire changes will not be an issue. I will even put a commonly available set of UHP Summer tires on mine, for much better handling, once the stock oems wears out from normal use.

But what concerns me more, is how to perform a front wheel tire alignment service (to ensure even wear of tires) on our Apterae.

I just wonder if my neighborhood America’s Tire can even align my Aptera’s front end, since we have a missing..4rth wheel! 😄

• Dennis Swaney

June 19, 2022 at 4:53 pm

James, here is what I posted in reply to your last post in the Alignment thread; unfortunately it is covered by a graphic.

However, there have been three wheel cars around for years, like the Morgan Super 3. There are Morgan dealers in the Denver, CO and the Costa Mesa & Santa Monica, CA areas so maybe some one in the vicinity could stop in and ask how they do wheel alignments.

• James Gatan

June 19, 2022 at 8:04 pm

Yes Dennis, I saw your reply. Thanks. I am nowhere near a Morgan dealer unfortunately. Someone in the community who is nearby one, could possibly inquire. It is good to know, for everyone’s benefit. It is absurd that there is nothing online, about a 3 wheel tire alignment (is there). The rear tire has to be parallel, in correct geometry with the two fronts. Otherwise, the rear tire would just be dragging sideways (feathering wear), with worse and faster wear if it has a motor (AWD) vs a slave wheel, in FWD version. Misaligned tires, would definitely affect the range efficiency. No doubt.

• kerbe2705

June 19, 2022 at 5:29 pm
  • Joey Lao

June 24, 2022 at 8:21 am

Since there’s no spare, you’re still relegated to a tow to change the tire, ya?

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by  Joey Lao.
    • This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by  Joey Lao.
    • Dennis Swaney

June 24, 2022 at 9:27 am

So, buy a space saver spare wheel & tire that matches the bolt pattern (I’m guessing 4 x 100mm or 5x 4.5″).

• James Gatan

June 24, 2022 at 11:17 am

A “donut” spare tire would be an added weight though (25lbs average). With that said, based on the 195/45R16 tire size above, the spare tire diameter should be 22.9”.

• Dennis Swaney

June 24, 2022 at 2:27 pm

If you fill it with helium you can save a few ounces. 😉

• EVservices .us

June 24, 2022 at 11:41 am

Carry a can of fix a flat or a puncture kit+air compressor.

• John Voules

June 24, 2022 at 12:21 pm

Living in Chicago land area, I usually run with 2 sets of Wheels & tires. Winter set for 4 months and summer wheels and tires. I like using steel wheels for the winter as they tend to be more durable and less likely to leak. On longer trips I would have a spare with me. Those who wish to adventure, fix a flat products only good for small punctures. As long as their decision to have same wheel & tire size all around…all you would need is 1 spare for a long trip.

• Dennis Swaney

June 24, 2022 at 2:26 pm

They won’t fix a blow out or a large puncture. I once hit a broken common pliers that put a 3/8″ – 1/2″ hole in the sidewall.

Viewing 1 - 11 of 11 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now