Charging question for Aptera engineers

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Charging question for Aptera engineers

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Charging question for Aptera engineers

• Charging question for Aptera engineers

Ray Holan updated 1 month, 2 weeks ago 9 Members · 12 Posts
  • Gary Greenway

March 4, 2022 at 3:54 pm

Will the max DC charging power be limited to different amounts according to battery pack size to keep charging rate at or below 1 C for the NMC cells? What Level 2 charging power have you decided upon? Was it based on heat management or hardware availability?

• Gabriel Kemeny

March 4, 2022 at 5:21 pm

You might be waiting for an answer for that for a while.

• Gary Greenway

March 4, 2022 at 8:02 pm

I hope I don’t get the usual “Be happy. We’re going to give you an awesome product. We’ll let you know later. Be happy” response

• This reply was modified 3 months, 4 weeks ago by  Gary Greenway. Reason: typo
  • Curtis Cibinel

March 4, 2022 at 7:20 pm

Just to summarize what I do know:

– Level 1 will provide 1.2 KW (max sustained on a US circuit). This is ~12 miles per hour which is exceptionally good

– Level 2 will be limited to 3.3 KW. This is likely limited due to cost/weight reasons but still matches or exceeds any Tesla in miles per hour. Tesla is 7.2-11.5KW generally

– Level 3 is 50 KW. This is slightly lower miles per hour than Tesla with 250KW superchargers but is still quite good and far easier to find. For smaller batteries this would exceed 1C or even 2C for the 250 mile version (likely using a ~20KW battery). As to if they will limit charge speed for longevity or how much taper in charge speed over the cycle, we will need to wait and see (especially with bigger batteries); good question.

PS: I’m still hoping we get a Tesla plug / supercharger access but nothing official has been said apart from photos about a year ago showing the Tesla plug (this could change). Some people especially on facebook groups feel strongly CCS is a better option.

• John Malcom

March 4, 2022 at 7:58 pm

Thanks Curtis. Good to see the charging specs summarized in one post. Should minimize the speculation around this topic. This posting is more complete than the spec sheet at this time so enthusiasts should refer to Your post WRT charging.

• kerbe2705

March 4, 2022 at 10:12 pm

We’ve been told from Day 1 that Aptera will have CCS charging.

We also know that charging generates heat and dissipating that heat in most EVs requires mechanical assistance – fans, radiators, heat exchangers, etc. As Aptera has only a massive heat sink for a belly and no forced air system it’s safe to assume that the charging capacity is kept to the lowest speeds possible so as to generate the least amount of heat possible.

The three Alpha prototypes were built with a number of scavenged Tesla parts.

• Konijnerd the Great

March 5, 2022 at 4:24 am

No air, but let’s do hope that it will have a liquid system for both cooling and warming the pack…

• kerbe2705

March 5, 2022 at 11:53 am

We already know this – but the Aptera will only “actively” cool when it is moving, as air blows across its belly. Standing still – as it will be while charging – it can only radiate a percentage of the heat being generated.

• john ockert

March 24, 2022 at 5:01 am

this may mean that your paint option will have an effect on charging speed/rate and the amount of time that rate can be maintained. I would hope that they do not go for a 3.3kwh level 2 charger. My fiat500e pulls 6.6kwh and i think maybe 6.6kwh would be fine for the two lower battery sizes but the last two, longest range models need 11kwh

• Riley ________________________________

March 24, 2022 at 7:01 am

Since the belly plate will be the radiator I don’t see the color of the car affecting cooling. A bigger concern is no active cooling, for very hot climates we might have to bring a kitty pool and park the car in water whenever you want faster charging.

• Ray Holan

May 18, 2022 at 2:40 pm

Hi, Curtis. I just finished viewing the latest Aptera Owners Club video. It seemed to be a very good summary of the technical aspects of the different plug standards. I found it to be a good education. As one of our resident “experts”, I’m curious about your review of his review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd0kfj3tcNw

• kerbe2705

March 4, 2022 at 10:14 pm

We were told in an early webinar that charging speed/capacity decisions were made based on heat managment.

If you want to contact Aptera your best bet is to email info@aptera.us – this group is maintained by a few volunteer moderators and is not usually perused by Aptera staff…

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now