Child seat ?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Child seat ?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Child seat ?

• Child seat ?

Mark Howell updated 3 months ago 18 Members · 23 Posts
  • Jörg Hucklenbroich

September 15, 2021 at 5:49 am

I’d be very happy, if Aptera could be bought with an additional seat for children. At least an Isofix system should be included to fix a children’s seat.

• Len Nowak

September 15, 2021 at 6:19 am

They said it could be something to revisit but in a later iteration of the Aptera

The “Aptera model” production start should allow them to move toward other > two seat configurations/vehicles.

• kerbe2705

September 15, 2021 at 8:07 am

According to US safety regulations, only “Group 0” infant carriers can be used with only an ISOFIX mount: All other child carriers must use BOTH seat belts and ISOFIX.

Although the storage deck will be lower in the beta prototype, there’s not a great deal of distance between the deck and the inner roof of the alphas, nor is there leg room between the seat backs and the deck.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_safety_seat

• Jacob Barrett

November 23, 2021 at 9:08 pm

As opposed to an additional seat, is the passenger seat approved for child seats?

• John Malcom

November 23, 2021 at 9:24 pm

In the state of Florida a child below the age of 12 can not sit in the “Front” seats of a car. They must sit in the “Back” seats. Even if there was a third seat Between the current driver and passenger seat in an Aptera, a child under 12 could not sit in it.

• Curtis Cibinel

November 23, 2021 at 9:36 pm

Pretty sure that’s fairly standard (definitely is in Canada). Realistically it’s unlikely the current Aptera will have a 3rd seat option or any any way to legally use a child seat. Just not a family car; ideal as a sports car or for empty nesters. They have taken the current car amazingly far in the last 2 years. Any new coop (3 wheel) or larger (4 wheel) vehicle will probably be 2-3 years away.

• Llewellyn Evans

November 23, 2021 at 10:30 pm

Autocycle. Same rule?

• John Malcom

November 24, 2021 at 7:04 am

In Florida the autocycle designation has just been implemented so no child safety criteria specified. However, I don’t know any parent that would risk their child’s safety (Even in a safe Aptera) by putting them in a front seat simply because there is no back seat requirement for an autocycle.

• Jett Pesson

January 4, 2022 at 8:19 pm

Ive been following this car for a while. I would pre-order right now, if there was a child seat. It’s not practical being a father with a car that I can’t transport my daughter in. Please release a child seat model some day and you will have my business!

• Ryan Wallace

February 17, 2022 at 8:16 pm

I’d buy the Aptera if it had a third seat for a child in the back. Love the car but it’s not practical for a family of three at the moment.

• kerbe2705

February 17, 2022 at 8:34 pm

It’s really not intended to be a practical family vehicle: Aptera is an experiment to see just how far the boundaries of efficiency can be pushed. Lessons learned from the 2-seater will, hopefully, inform Aptera’s future – larger – vehicles.

• Kayleigh Venne

Administrator
      February 18, 2022 at 9:10 am

Hey Ryan! Our 3-wheeled, 2 seater Aptera is just the tip of the spear. This is the biggest impact we could possibly have to start with— a leap forward. But it doesn’t end here. Look out for next innovations through our website and social media channels. We plan to expand seating options in the upcoming years as we continue to lead the movement of solar mobility. Our tech is easily extended to larger vehicles with great results and we look forward to having a model compatible with a child seat in the future. It’s exciting to share the road ahead with you! We can’t wait to launch our first product and will design larger versions in the future.

• Bojan Majdandzic

February 18, 2022 at 7:21 am

The Aptera can be used with three persons.

• Riley …

February 18, 2022 at 7:25 am

Won’t even need a child seat, could be another selling point.

• GLENN ZAJIC

February 18, 2022 at 6:05 pm

By the time I get mine, my “child” will insist on the drivers seat!

• John Malcom

February 18, 2022 at 6:27 pm

No problem.. I will give you a couple of mine you can keep back there.

• Mark Howell

August 21, 2022 at 4:49 pm

I searched “child seats” but found nothing. The question I have is, will the passenger seat accommodate an infant / toddler child seat?

• OZ (It’s OZ, Just OZ)

August 21, 2022 at 5:09 pm

Aptera is not designed to accommodate a child seat. Also it is likely that a child seat in an autocycle/motorcycle vehicle, would not be legal in most, if not all jurisdictions.

• Mark Howell

August 24, 2022 at 5:02 pm

I totally forgot about that. Here in Maine you need a motorcycle license to drive an auto-cycle. everybody who lives in they house has a motorcycle endorsement so we are all good there. The Aptera being totally enclosed makes me think of it as a car. I wonder how much cheaper the insurance will be.

• Lane Costilow

August 24, 2022 at 7:20 pm

Internet search says you can use a Maine A, B or C license to operate an autocycle. I believe C is the one for noncommercial licenses.

• Mark Howell

August 25, 2022 at 7:05 am

Thanks Lane, I guess Maine amended that law back in 2019. I thought I saw in the FAQ’s for Aptera’s website said that ME, MA and AK required a motorcycle license but now it says MA, AK and WY.

• Michael Frickberg

August 21, 2022 at 5:52 pm

Here in Washington state you have to be 8 years old to ride in an autocycle

• Mark Salyzyn

August 21, 2022 at 6:16 pm

I assure, I will be like an 8 year old while driving this vehicle! 😉

Florida has no minimum age requirements for passengers of an autocycle, but they do require 18 years and younger to wear a helmet.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 10 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now