Clean Car Discount in New Zealand

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Clean Car Discount in New Zealand

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Clean Car Discount in New Zealand

• Clean Car Discount in New Zealand

• Daniel Hughes

June 8, 2022 at 3:42 pm

New Zealand offers a $8625 clean car discount on new electric cars.

Do we know if Aptera will be eligible?

The scheme excludes electric motorbikes.

• kerbe2705

June 8, 2022 at 4:05 pm

It would probably be easiest for a Kiwi to do the online legwork necessary to answer that question: I tried to dig-up similar info about an Australian state and found it quite difficult to access from the US.

Perhaps https://driveelectric.org.nz/ could help?

• Daniel Hughes

June 8, 2022 at 4:06 pm

Eligibility rules are here:

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/clean-car-programme/clean-car-discount/clean-car-discount-eligibility-criteria/eligibility-criteria-for-vehicles-first-registered-from-1-april-2022/

The vehicle classes are defined in here:

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/assets/resources/rules/docs/vehicle-standards-compliance-2002-as-at-1-april-2022.pdf

The MA vehicle class is the closest that aptera gets which defines a passenger vehicle as:

A motor vehicle that:

(a) is constructed primarily for the carriage of passengers; and

(b) either:

(i) has at least four wheels; or

(ii) has three wheels and a gross vehicle mass exceeding one tonne.

Even the 1000 mile Aptera is just to to light (998 kg)

• Curtis Cibinel

June 8, 2022 at 4:19 pm

How epically stupid… Why put a minimum weight. I really feel these types of programs need to go and be replaced by new taxes on ICE cars to encourage EVs and alternative transport without these flawed programs that always find a way to have gaps.

PS: Where did you get the Aptera weight of 998? I didn’t think we had an official number and my estimate is over 1100kg for the 1000 mile

• Daniel Hughes

June 8, 2022 at 4:54 pm

I got that from this thread: https://aptera.us/community/discussion/worth-the-weight-2/

Not sure of the original source.

Worth the Weight?

• Curtis Cibinel

June 8, 2022 at 5:12 pm

These are all speculations to make the math internally consistent with statements not an official number. Estimates like this are +- 10% not 0.1% (2kg). Still really dumb if only the 1000 mile version is eligible for the government program (which would seem likely). Models with this level of accuracy allow reasonable estimates on range vs speed( ie hypermiling potential), impact of heating, impact of cargo weight etc but are far from official specs

PS: It is entirely possible he based his video on my estimates or that of motormatchup. A lot of effort has gone into trying to determine plausible values which make internal consistency with the few official specs we have and what can be calculated, measured, or extrapolated (ie frontal area determined from a model is scaled and viewed isometrically)

• Daniel Hughes

June 8, 2022 at 4:08 pm

So if Aptera could make a nz specific version that is just 2 kg heavier it would save us $8625

• George Hughes

June 8, 2022 at 11:54 pm

You ought to apply for a variation or waiver of the weight requirement on the justification that if the composite monocoque were reproduced in steel for the same strength and safety, the Aptera would have to weigh two tonnes.

The nation of New Zealand doesn’t follow the policy that companies that pioneer new, innovative applications and materials should be punished.

BTW: This is exactly the kind of issues that one would contact their representative, I assume in Parliament … though from what I saw on the Colbert’s show of the NZ PM, you might be able to just give her a ring on her cell.

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now