Door design and info

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Door design and info

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Door design and info

• Door design and info

Posted by peter-robbinson on August 18, 2021 at 12:55 pm

Hi, I’m wondering if the doors have been tested in cold weather, specifically if they will stay open at -30C for example. I’m in northern Ontario and gas cylinder assisted doors and hatches can be problematic. As well, I’ve encountered weather stripping on doors and windows freezing and sticking on several vehicles I’ve owned.

In general with regards to the door design I’m not that enthusiastic. I would prefer something along the lines of a minvan side door type of opening. I think it would be more stable and provide even better access.

Mike-Mars replied 1 month, 1 week ago 29 Members · 37 Replies
  • 37 Replies
  • Door design and info

Mike-Mars updated 1 month, 1 week ago 29 Members · 37 Replies
  • 993cc

August 18, 2021 at 1:55 pm

As a former Ottawa resident, I can relate. Most gas strut systems work in the cold initially, but when they begin to lose pressure, cold weather is when they will fail first.

I hope that the door design positions the struts so that they have good leverage to support the door. I also hope that the design specifies a fairly commonly available strut, so that they can be easily replaced when they fail.

As for sliding doors, I think the problem would be that the necessary tracks for the door would have a huge impact on the aerodynamic drag of the car, which is the car’s secret sauce, so to speak.

For sticking weatherstripping, I have found that an annual spray-down with silicone lubricant works wonders to prevent freezing in place.

• g-johns

August 19, 2021 at 2:28 pm

Use silicone, once a month.

• kerbe2705

August 19, 2021 at 5:54 pm

At present there are only three alpha-level prototypes – essentially “proof of concept” models. They are not the actual vehicle that will eventually be built – they’re not even made of the same materials. Any testing done on them would be moot.

Vehicle designs, traditionally, go through four levels of prototyping. Right now Aptera is building the molds from which the beta prototype bodies will be pulled – and working with suppliers to create components for the vehicle that will be closer (if not identical) to those that will go into production vehicles.

Endurance testing is usually carried-out using the gamma (production intent) prototypes as they have nearly all of the finalized systems intact – although they’re still mostly hand-built. The delta (production ready) prototypes are the first to be built using the actual “assembly line”.

• peter-robbinson

August 20, 2021 at 8:12 am

The replies have been great, thanks. With regards to the doors, I was thinking more along the lines of what’s used on an airline. The door on the Aptera certainly would be light enough to not require too heavy a hinge. If you need a cold weather tester I’m available 😉

• Dr.D

December 10, 2021 at 2:47 pm

Perhaps this is answered in some FAQ. Why gullwing doors?

Also, when the door is open and you are seated, how far up is the reach for the handle to close the door?

• len

December 10, 2021 at 3:17 pm

There is a long strap on the door to pull down

I have been in the Sol and it closes easy “ for Me”

But you can see the strap in many pictures and videos

• Riley

December 10, 2021 at 11:13 pm

I believe they selected butterfly doors due to the wheel pods. Also they look cool.

• Pistonboy

December 13, 2021 at 9:08 pm

Regardless if the doors are gull-wing or some other design, I just hope the switch for the electric window is a mechanical switch in the door, and not a touch pad on the touch screen.

• Mr.Dude

March 29, 2022 at 3:43 pm

This may have already been addressed somewhere, but how do you get inside the vehicle (as well as open the hatch) since there are no door handles? Additionally, will there be some sort of integrated ice breaker (like that on the Tesla Model X) for those of us that deal with frozen doors in the winter?

• n-bruce-nelson

March 29, 2022 at 5:02 pm

Hayden, I have this response from Kayleigh Venne, the Community Lead at Aptera –

“The vehicle will recognize that it is you trying to open the door. We have not made a final selection on this but the Aptera will have proximity detection to unlock the doors. Such as a Bluetooth connection via smartphone, through our app, or a proximity key. Once inside, you can open the door through the center screen controls. The doors will have a manual pull handle for emergencies though.”

• kerbe2705

March 29, 2022 at 5:20 pm

At one point Founder Chris stated that there will be an exterior button, similar to that on the Ford Mach-e. The doors will have a “popper” mechanism that opens them slightly, allowing the edge to be grasped to open the door fully.

• Pistonboy

March 31, 2022 at 1:35 am

I thought Chris had said in a video, the door would have a thumb print reader on the outside of the door. The driver would place their thumb on the reader and the vehicle would recognize the driver that way.

If I walk out of my house to get something out of my vehicle, do I have to take the phone with me? While at home, I do not carry the phone with me.

How would someone like a repair mechanic be able to enter the vehicle. He will not have our app on his phone. Would this require a key of some type? Electronic key fob?

Oh the headaches of being chic and trendy!

• NorthernSouler

July 31, 2022 at 11:57 pm

Does anyone have any guesses how this system will work in climates that have freezing rain &/or mixed rain and snow in a freeze/thaw cycle?

I’ve had enough experience using hair dryers and brute force to open frozen car doors that I’m trying to figure out how you’d pull that stunt off without door handles. (I guess crawling through the trunk to get to the front seat, then wait for the heater to kick in and thaw the ice out of the jambs?)

• OZ.

August 1, 2022 at 4:58 am

You should be able to activate the climate control remotely through the App.

• mihir-sanghavi

October 5, 2022 at 6:35 pm

Automatic doors, do we know if only the opening is automated, or also the closing? Apologize if this was already answered.

• Sam

October 5, 2022 at 7:23 pm

The opening is not automated. You unlatch the door and the struts lift it open. You will have to pull it closed.

• randy-j

March 7, 2023 at 5:56 am

Magna put out this release today:

Magna’s SmartAccess Power Door System Hits the Market in Style

Complete power door system with first-to-market Haptronik<sup>TM</sup> motion control

Market debut on Ferrari Purosangue

Redefines the consumer access experience

AURORA, Ontario, March 07, 2023 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — Magna is revolutionizing vehicle access experiences with the launch of its SmartAccess power door system on the opposing rear doors of the Ferrari Purosangue. The complete system includes Magna’s power door drive unit, SmartLatch with cinch actuator and first-to-market integrated Haptronik software.

Haptronik is an innovative motion control software that enhances the tactile feel of door movement, enabling effortless opening and closing. It can detect when the vehicle is parked on a curb or a hill and automatically adapts the gravitational force so that opening and closing remains smooth in these conditions. It also includes anti-slam and wind catch features.

“As an industry leader in advanced mechatronic systems, we are excited to bring one of our most innovative solutions to market,” said Jeff Hunt, President of Magna Mechatronics, Mirrors and Lighting. “By combining our mechanical expertise with our advanced software capabilities, we have been able to reimagine traditional vehicle access and offer a unique and more luxurious experience when entering the Purosangue.”

The system will launch with several other Asian and North American automakers in 2023. SmartAccess can also offer a host of additional consumer-related features including:

Ability to customize the door feel to specific consumer desires,

Gesture control allowing the wave of a hand to open or close the side door,

Non-contact obstacle detection where the side doors can sense a post or adjacent vehicle and stop the door in a controlled manner, and

Keypad for seamless keyless entry.

• joshua-caldwell

March 7, 2023 at 7:07 am

Aptera folk are all about the only thing you have to do is tap the Aptera logo and the doors will open. In Tesla’s, the handles retract.

I would like way to AVOID the freezing problem that Tesla’s are infamous for in the winter. Cars where the doors cannot be opened when frozen seriously suck! I’m in North Carolina now, but I used to be in Pennsylvania where a hair dryer would sometimes have to be run around the edges of the door and use muscle power on the handle to get the ice cracked and the door opened, but this doesn’t even work with Tesla’s and I would like to avoid this in the Aptera!

• craig-merrow

March 7, 2023 at 11:06 am

I was thinking a nylon strap that could be hooked to the armrest and dangle outside of the car when the door is shut. That would give you something to pull on if there is a lot of frost or ice buildup on/around the door.

• Biker

March 18, 2023 at 11:34 am

Aptera posted about the door design on the socials: Inside the doors you’ll find engineering for safety. Composite and metallic elements provide safety and strength while remaining lightweight.

We are not just making parts, we are analyzing each step of the way and validating them against rigorous standards and metrics. We will be sharing updates on our structure and safety approach in the coming weeks

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/apteramotors_accelerateaptera-activity-7042910154945687552-jkTp?utm_source=share&utm_medium=member_desktop

• drew-lepley

October 18, 2023 at 11:32 am

I think it’s unfortunate that they didn’t just incorporate a physical door handle. The potential issues seem like they would outweigh the benefits, but it’s probably a little late to incorporate real exterior handles now. My preference would be Honda HR-V rear door style, but maybe the turbulence would still be too impactful to efficiency.

• john-malcom

October 18, 2023 at 4:14 pm

The “Knock” is a little gimmicky but surprising to me seems to be quite popular along with the skateboard + and – pedals. I am past the age where that kind of thing is interesting, but if others like it fine with me.

• wingsounds13

October 19, 2023 at 9:41 am

The knock-knock thing is more than a little gimmicky. Personally, I liked the recessed handles on the original Aptera. Supposedly it had an insignificant impact on the aerodynamic. I like simple solutions like this and am really disappointed that they did not include this design feature on the current generation.

• Greek

October 19, 2023 at 10:33 am

I am in agreement here. Doesn’t even need to be a handle, maybe a push button on the door or body of the vehicle. Many Ford vehicles have a key pad that you can unlock your door with. Great feature when you lock your keys in the vehicle, although this will not be a worry with the APTERA. I wonder if you can just use your phone alone to pop up the door, I would prefer that to knocking on the body of the car.

• craig-steffen

February 20, 2024 at 6:44 am

I’m completely new to Aptera as of yesterday; I’m here via the “Aging Wheels” youtube video.

From a couple of forum posts, I gather the battery architecture of the Aptera is fairly consistent with other electric vehicles. It has a 12V battery to operate the conventional stuff in the car, and the HV battery pack charges the 12V battery when the drive system is on (and possibly at other times).

I think the knock-knock thing for opening the door is kind of gimmicky, to be honest. I’d much rather have a physical handle or at least a physical button for to get in, and I would *absolutely* want a physical handle to get out.

I presume the 12V system operates the door latches. If you’re in the vehicle and the 12V battery dies (due to damage in a crash, or perhaps, you’re sleeping in it camping and somehow a light gets left on or something) how can you get the main passenger doors and/or the rear liftgate open? Do the doors open with a physical handle?

Same question, for outside. If I’m outside and the doors are locked, and the 12V system dies, how do I get the doors open? Is there a backup physical latch? Is there a backup physical key cylinder to unlock? If the latches are absolutely, ONLY operated by the 12V system, how do I get to the 12V battery to jump it from another car or a jump pack so that I can unlatch the doors?

Thanks for any information. I didn’t find anything about this in the FAQs or in the forums.

• craig-steffen

February 20, 2024 at 6:49 am

Also, I have a very small YouTube channel (almost 600 subscribers, “Figuring Stuff Out dot net”). I haven’t posted about electric vehicles, yet, but Aptera intrigues me and I’d very much like to post about it. I’d love to feature answers to some of my electrical questions on my channel.

Also, Aptera, feel free to get in touch. I’d love to talk to you about my mission to be able to do my one-ever-two-months 500-mile commute in an Aptera, and also to car-camp at the big Oshkosh airshow in Wisconsin in July. Also, if you decide to have a booth at the Oshkosh airshow, I’ll definitely stop by. Let me know if I can be of assistance getting there or driving.

• OkieKev

February 20, 2024 at 7:06 am

Welcome to the group. I cannot answer the “how to get in from the outside” part of your question, but I heard of physical door releases mentioned in various YT videos though because I have taken in so many, I can’t recall exactly which poster of video to point you to.

An excellent channel for information is the Aptera Owner’s Club. He is not affiliated with Aptera, but is a big fan, reservation holder and small investor. https://www.youtube.com/c/ApteraOwnersClub/videos

I was quite surprised and glad to see Robert’s video on Aptera and perplexed to see not one, but two Solos in his garage. Very curious on that story and wonder if somehow the red one formerly belonged to YouTuber Awwki. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmNIm1P5sfpxcVf5WxbvJyA/videos

• This reply was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by  Kevin Bradbury. Reason: Inserted Awwki link
  • pgarratt

February 20, 2024 at 6:55 am

Yeah i agree that the knock-knock is a bit of a gimmick. I’d assume charging the large battery will put some charge into the 12v – enough to pop the doors. But there has to be some type of handle for when the doors are frozen in cold weather. Plus you’d better hope you fit thru the windows if it gets put on its roof in an accident.

• len

February 20, 2024 at 8:06 am

The manual door releases are shown in attached. I own an EV and have a simple monitor on the 12v, where I can check the voltage on my iphone via bluetooth.You can find with alarms too. Some new $$$ 12v lithium batteries could be purchased with the bluetooth monitoring included.? Ask EV owners in your EV club/ EV event…To learn about their experiences.

Example of one type of Lithium ion 12 v with Bluetooth Ohmmu HY1240I5-BH, 12V Lithium Battery for Hyundai IONIQ 5 https://a.co/d/85EboCY

• This reply was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by  Len Nowak.
    • craig-steffen

February 20, 2024 at 9:03 am

They’re the red handle things? And those pop the doors open regardless of the state of the charge of any batteries? Cool; thanks. That answers the inside question.

And yes, I realize there are lots of ways to keep the 12V battery *from* running down. Just want to know what the provisions are for getting into the car if, despite all of those, it does end up dead. All batteries are ultimately fallible, and somewhat susceptible to cold. I would like to know before owning such a car what the procedure is for rescuing it from a dead 12V battery; I would very much prefer it didn’t involve cutting a hole in the car somewhere.

In our Fords, they of course have fancy electronic fobs and locks, but there’s also an emergency physical key that goes in an emergency key cylinder on the door. That opens the driver’s door, and the hood latch is physical cable, not electronic.

Page 1 of 2

or to reply.