Color choices

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Color choices

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Color choices

• Color choices

Posted by vernon-sinnott on September 22, 2022 at 8:12 pm

I think $1500 is way out of line for a Premium color. Chevy Equinox charges an additional $495 for choosing a premium color. I’d personally like to choose Blue or Red but I won’t pay $1500 for that. If you charged $495, I bet more people would select for a list of optional colors, say blue, red, green.I think $1500 is way out of line for a Premium color. Chevy Equinox charges an additional $495 for choosing a premium color. I’d personally like to choose Blue or Red but I won’t pay $1500 for that. If you charged $495, I bet more people would select for a list of optional colors, say blue, red, green. What’s everyone think?

Greek replied 1 year, 5 months ago 16 Members · 20 Replies
  • 20 Replies
  • Color choices

Greek updated 1 year, 5 months ago 16 Members · 20 Replies
  • harry-parker

September 22, 2022 at 8:34 pm

Unlike Tesla, Aptera has no “premium” colors. They offer 3 colors and a “Custom” option. Custom means you can choose anything, including other solid colors including metalic colors, irridescent colors or custom artwork on film coverings. It also means the color films won’t be bought in volume by Aptera, but as a small quantity. $1500 is cheaper than a custom wrap done locally, which is also an option.

• vernon-sinnott

September 22, 2022 at 8:40 pm

Adding premium choices could be another option. If someone wants a pink cadillac, or Aptera then that’s custom. Providing a few other options could generate more money.

• curtis-cibinel

September 22, 2022 at 8:58 pm

If they chargeb$1500 or even $2500 id gladly pay it for cosmetic ppf like flexishield cosmic or camouflage. Cosmetic Ppf is very durable against uv and should last 15+ years in my climate/use case.

• john-trotter

September 23, 2022 at 10:30 am

Curtis. I doubt Aptera can only charge $1500 for PPF due to it being higher labor installation than vinyl film. An option is to get an Aptera custom vinyl in whatever color is available from their supplier and then have clear PPF applied over it. Quality PPF protects vinyl much like it protects paint. I am considering this route, with the PPF applied only over the surfaces most vulnerable to rocks and sun. (Flexishield looks like most of the protection is UNDER the color paint. How does THAT work? I’ll ask a local PPF guy.) BTW, we ordered the Tesla with extra-cost gray-blue ($1000) and our only regret was not ordering the red ($2000). Color matters.

• paul-evans

September 24, 2022 at 10:15 am

I was considering PPF over the whole vehicle except the solar surfaces. Some of the Discord gang advised against covering the belly pan because it might reduce the cooling some.

So now the plan is to focus on the nose, sides and wheel pants/skirt. The sides are most important because stones will be kicked up onto them during turns.

• david-clark

September 22, 2022 at 10:24 pm

If you want a custom color, be prepared to pay for the privilege.

If Aptera pricing is out of your range, you can always take it to be painted elsewhere. 🙂

I don’t see a problem here

• Shawgrin

September 22, 2022 at 10:45 pm

I have been shopping cars for a while now. Nearly every vehicle I have looked at has some premium color choices that usually start about $1500.00 or higher. Most have one or 2 colors that are the base and there is no extra charge for base colors. We are lucky, we have 3 base colors to choose from. At this point our premium colors choices appear to be any color we would like. That is a great deal!!!.

• Robert

September 23, 2022 at 5:25 am

I would pay for an interior color option. White and orange will look dirty quickly. I would prefer an all black or grey interior for my sol.

• 993cc

September 24, 2022 at 9:48 am

I understand why Aptera doesn’t want to deal with the hazards and expense of having a paintshop, and thus are selling the vehicles with a wrap, but I wonder if they’d be willing to sell an Aptera “naked” at a discount, so that an owner could have it painted the color of their choice at a local auto body shop.

• Phil

September 25, 2022 at 12:29 am

One more thing to consider Vernon. GM is a massive company with tons of room in their profit margin to cut the price of a custom paint job. Aptera is a start up company and has zero profit margin to pad the price for a custom color. $1500 is a chunk of change to part with, but I’m willing to pay it.

• OCS12

September 25, 2022 at 9:42 am

I don’t really see the point in paying extra for a “premium” color. I’ll live with a base color until the vinyl starts looking ugly, then do something fun when it needs a re-wrap.

Edit: I suppose I should disclose that I’ve got a friend who does wraps for a living, and owes me a favor, so it makes things a little more reasonable.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by  Dan Kerpe.
  • Pragmatic_to_a_Fault

November 5, 2022 at 9:45 am

I was talking to an engineer at work, I asked her what she thought of the Aptera, she likes the style , etc. was intrigued by idea.

She raised a valid question, what about the color ?

I had told her I ordered black, she said that one of the engineers had a black Tesla and was always looking for shade to park in, apparently the color of the car. Soaking up the heat of the sun was very hard on the battery life.

Will the solar cells that soak up sunlight and everything that isn’t converted into charging results in heat,

Will that radiates heat degrade the batteries ?

• wingsounds13

November 5, 2022 at 10:23 am

Yes, black does get a lot hotter than white, or even silver. This is simple physics. It will make the cabin hotter when sitting in the sun, and heat is bad for batteries. It will also make the AC work harder to keep the cabin cool. Black is a really poor choice in sunny, southern states, it’ll cook you and your batteries. It may be a small benefit in the winter in northern states, but there is relatively little solar energy to collect at that time anyway.

• glenn-zajic

November 5, 2022 at 10:48 am

It is true that the color black absorbs more and reflects less than white.; If you are getting full solar it will not matter much as most of the surface is covered with cells. These cells will be converting some of that energy into power. The remaining surfaces, doors and belly pan will not get that much sun exposure. The composite body structure should also provide some insulation. But maybe not as much as we thought it was going to as it might not be a sandwich, honeycomb material. IMO you should get the color that appeals to you.

• Greek

November 5, 2022 at 12:11 pm

To expand on Glenn’s points, the vast majority of interior heat will be produced from solar energy going through your glass. Windshield, side windows and an uncovered rear hatch glass would be by far the greatest concern of heat build up. The body itself will not be efficient in transmitting heat into the interior of the car. If it were made from sheet metal you would have a different story.

• Greek

September 24, 2022 at 3:46 pm

This was brought up in the beginning of the year. It is very doubtful that APTERA would let an unfinished vehicle into clients hands. There are several mentioned for liability others, bank won’t give you a loan and so forth. Maybe when they call you you can request.

or to reply.