Color choices

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Color choices

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Color choices

• Color choices

Dan Kerpe updated 4 days, 23 hours ago 15 Members · 18 Posts
  • Vernon Sinnott

September 22, 2022 at 8:12 pm

I think $1500 is way out of line for a Premium color. Chevy Equinox charges an additional $495 for choosing a premium color. I’d personally like to choose Blue or Red but I won’t pay $1500 for that. If you charged $495, I bet more people would select for a list of optional colors, say blue, red, green.I think $1500 is way out of line for a Premium color. Chevy Equinox charges an additional $495 for choosing a premium color. I’d personally like to choose Blue or Red but I won’t pay $1500 for that. If you charged $495, I bet more people would select for a list of optional colors, say blue, red, green. What’s everyone think?

• Harry Parker

September 22, 2022 at 8:34 pm

Unlike Tesla, Aptera has no “premium” colors. They offer 3 colors and a “Custom” option. Custom means you can choose anything, including other solid colors including metalic colors, irridescent colors or custom artwork on film coverings. It also means the color films won’t be bought in volume by Aptera, but as a small quantity. $1500 is cheaper than a custom wrap done locally, which is also an option.

• Vernon Sinnott

September 22, 2022 at 8:40 pm

Adding premium choices could be another option. If someone wants a pink cadillac, or Aptera then that’s custom. Providing a few other options could generate more money.

• Curtis Cibinel

September 22, 2022 at 8:58 pm

If they chargeb$1500 or even $2500 id gladly pay it for cosmetic ppf like flexishield cosmic or camouflage. Cosmetic Ppf is very durable against uv and should last 15+ years in my climate/use case.

• John Trotter

September 23, 2022 at 10:30 am

Curtis. I doubt Aptera can only charge $1500 for PPF due to it being higher labor installation than vinyl film. An option is to get an Aptera custom vinyl in whatever color is available from their supplier and then have clear PPF applied over it. Quality PPF protects vinyl much like it protects paint. I am considering this route, with the PPF applied only over the surfaces most vulnerable to rocks and sun. (Flexishield looks like most of the protection is UNDER the color paint. How does THAT work? I’ll ask a local PPF guy.) BTW, we ordered the Tesla with extra-cost gray-blue ($1000) and our only regret was not ordering the red ($2000). Color matters.

• Paul Evans

September 24, 2022 at 10:15 am

I was considering PPF over the whole vehicle except the solar surfaces. Some of the Discord gang advised against covering the belly pan because it might reduce the cooling some.

So now the plan is to focus on the nose, sides and wheel pants/skirt. The sides are most important because stones will be kicked up onto them during turns.

• David Clark

September 22, 2022 at 10:24 pm

If you want a custom color, be prepared to pay for the privilege.

If Aptera pricing is out of your range, you can always take it to be painted elsewhere. 🙂

I don’t see a problem here

• Vernon Michael Gardner

September 22, 2022 at 10:45 pm

I have been shopping cars for a while now. Nearly every vehicle I have looked at has some premium color choices that usually start about $1500.00 or higher. Most have one or 2 colors that are the base and there is no extra charge for base colors. We are lucky, we have 3 base colors to choose from. At this point our premium colors choices appear to be any color we would like. That is a great deal!!!.

• Robert Keith Harrigan

September 23, 2022 at 5:25 am

I would pay for an interior color option. White and orange will look dirty quickly. I would prefer an all black or grey interior for my sol.

• Dennis Swaney

September 23, 2022 at 9:38 am

If all Apteras come with white upholstery pieces anywhere, then there is this option:

https://www.fabricspraydye.com

• Vernon Sinnott

September 24, 2022 at 7:42 am

I didn’t pull the price out of a hat. $495 Canadian is what Chevrolet is charging for Premium colors for the Equinox. 3 premium choices.

• Bob Kirchner

September 24, 2022 at 9:48 am

I understand why Aptera doesn’t want to deal with the hazards and expense of having a paintshop, and thus are selling the vehicles with a wrap, but I wonder if they’d be willing to sell an Aptera “naked” at a discount, so that an owner could have it painted the color of their choice at a local auto body shop.

• Rond Wright

September 24, 2022 at 1:08 pm

My thinking too … My daughter is a painter and I want her to paint it. I worry that a “wrap” would make that more difficult. Can we get it “unwrapped”? Perhaps bare or with a primer if aptera insists?

Related: where I live there is a lot of gravel that flies around … the aptera will get dinged. My own paint job will allow me to more easily make repairs.

• John Voules

September 24, 2022 at 3:46 pm

This was brought up in the beginning of the year. It is very doubtful that APTERA would let an unfinished vehicle into clients hands. There are several mentioned for liability others, bank won’t give you a loan and so forth. Maybe when they call you you can request.

• Scott

September 24, 2022 at 3:42 pm

Just remember that the coverage will almost always be better from the factory than from a post-purchase paint job, at least within reasonable effort and price. Getting into all the nooks and crannies around lights, seals, panel edges, etc. is a lot harder after everything is final assembled from the factory. Nonetheless, basic vehicle aftermarket painting is of course done all the time, just not with the same thoroughness of coverage as from the factory before all of the components are assembled. Since Aptera is unable/unwilling to offer basic paint, your suggestion may still be the best reasonable alternative for those of us who want a better (paint) option. Unknown if they would be willing to ship “unfinished” vehicles and if they would offer an appropriate discount for eliminating the wrap’s labor and materials, however.

• Philip Raymond

September 25, 2022 at 12:29 am

One more thing to consider Vernon. GM is a massive company with tons of room in their profit margin to cut the price of a custom paint job. Aptera is a start up company and has zero profit margin to pad the price for a custom color. $1500 is a chunk of change to part with, but I’m willing to pay it.

• Dan Kerpe

September 25, 2022 at 9:42 am

I don’t really see the point in paying extra for a “premium” color. I’ll live with a base color until the vinyl starts looking ugly, then do something fun when it needs a re-wrap.

Edit: I suppose I should disclose that I’ve got a friend who does wraps for a living, and owes me a favor, so it makes things a little more reasonable.

• This reply was modified 4 days, 23 hours ago by  Dan Kerpe.
Viewing 1 - 9 of 9 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now