Color

• Color

• G Johns

December 28, 2021 at 8:21 am

The facebook future aptera owners pic of a silver aptera in the Christmas tree is the color gray I’m looking for. I think it looks elegant, reserved, thoughtfull, composed, secure, reliable, comfortable.

Not bad boy black or snowflake white like those other ones. But, I’m also partial to that green beta color also. Decisions,decisions.

• my_discord_number_is_0328 bloody stupid

December 29, 2021 at 6:28 pm
  • Titus Meusel

December 30, 2021 at 6:07 am

For me the Apteras unique shape is visually best enhanced if it has just one overall color no matter what colour. Therefore as the top part is given as black I like the Noir model most from the design perspective even though I personally don’t fancy black for my other stuff. Would love to see a complete white or blue version.

There is a design rule that every material should be represented with its natural appearance / color wherever possible. That is why, if I had the choice, I would always prefer the composite color – in this case that greenish honeycomb structure. The beauty of this approach is that all materials, metals, solar panels or composites reveal their function on the first sight. But then: as Aptera will use different components/materials for the body, doors and wheel pods the raw car will likely look like a patchwork.

That is why Aptera probably choose a vinyl wrap instead of paint to apply an overall colour to the vehicle on different materials. The problem for me with wrapped cars is that they have this plastic feel and I find them a bit tacky. But as it has to be used for a functional reason, I am Ok with that.

Conclusion: I am still undecided simply because I usually never wear black 😉

• John Malcom

December 30, 2021 at 7:43 am

I chose Noir for the reason you posted although I don’t particularly like black for a car color, especially in the Florida sun. Also like your sensible logic, if “It has to be used for a functional reason, I am OK with it” The Aptera is designed and built by engineers. Probably their logic too.

• Oz (It’s Oz, just Oz)

December 30, 2021 at 8:20 am

Although the upper portions of all the vehicles will be mostly black, (Or deep dark blue for the Luna scheme.) my thought is to go with silver for the rest, I’ve always found that very light or dark colors show off dust and dirt and what not, a lot faster than a mid color. (Yeah, I’ll probably wash it every day anyway, but gotta go with my history.)

• Lou Verner

December 30, 2021 at 8:35 am

Hence the great preponderance of silver/grey vehicles today – making it hard to find yours in the parking lot when your boomer brain forgot to make a mental note of its location when you left it. Luckily won’t have that problem with Aptera!

• Curtis Cibinel

December 30, 2021 at 12:53 pm

Are you sure the Luna is actually a different top color around the panels? I figured this was just due to the environment in the photos.

• Oz (It’s Oz, just Oz)

December 30, 2021 at 2:17 pm

Curtis, yes, the first day descriptions by Aptera of the color schemes. (Not sure if it still shows anywhere on the site, but you can see the color in photos of Luna.)

• Titus Meusel

December 30, 2021 at 8:55 am

Consequently good engineering leads to a good product design. You can see the original idea/dream behind the project when you look at that thing. That’s what I like most of Aptera, a bit like you first saw an iPod … still a bit bit too wide for Europe in its current form.

Yeah, I was wondering as well about the white belly. This would grab a lot of mud on an average non Californian road.

• Laura Batchelor

January 2, 2022 at 9:57 am

I’m going with silver because it is the best match for limestone dust. There should be a law that autos are offered in colors that match the local dirt. GA gets a red clay option, FL gets dirty sand, and a black-lovebug-with-yellow-and-green-guts speckled color will be available for the entire South…

• Paul Schultz

January 2, 2022 at 12:06 pm

I chose Luna Silver. But, I am interested in seeing a good pic of the midnight blue roof on the Luna. So far it has looked black. Any roof pics of Luna that show its color? Or, did they opt for black with this alpha build?

• Oz (It’s Oz, just Oz)

January 2, 2022 at 12:46 pm

There are some pics somewhere, I think it looks outstanding myself.

• Joshua Caldwell

January 3, 2022 at 5:44 am

I wish Aptera’s official designs were the opposite, I would much rather have a white top than the current black top, let the body be colored. (I realized they did it to try and make the solar panels less obvious)

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now