Composite Exterior and Paint Durability

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Composite Exterior and Paint Durability

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Composite Exterior and Paint Durability

• Composite Exterior and Paint Durability

Lane Costilow updated 1 week, 4 days ago 11 Members · 22 Posts
  • Tony Bonta

July 28, 2022 at 6:55 am

I’m wondering if the composite material being used for Aptera’s exterior will have any impact on paint durability.

In choosing the color for my Aptera, I’m primarily concerned that because I won’t be storing it in the garage like my other cars that it’s color will fade sooner… I’m leaving it out in the sun all the time.

Because of color fading concerns, I’m going with silver. Otherwise, I love the black and would choose that if I could feel better about it not fading quickly.

• This discussion was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by  Tony Bonta.
  • John Malcom

July 28, 2022 at 7:57 am

The Aptera exterior finish will be a vinyl wrap not paint at this point in development

• Tony Bonta

July 28, 2022 at 8:08 am

hmmm… any thoughts on fading with the vinyl wrap?

• OZ (It’s OZ, Just OZ)

July 28, 2022 at 8:37 am

Use the search function on the page for “wrap” you should find plenty of “spirited” conversation from the recent past.

• Tony Bonta

July 28, 2022 at 8:45 am

Thanks! will check that out

• Dennis Swaney

July 28, 2022 at 8:37 am

Here’s a question on vinyl wraps. Since they tend to deteriorate more rapidly than paint due to UV rays, is there a paint or coating that could be applied over the wrap (after purchase) to block or at least severely mitigate those damaging rays?

• Curtis Cibinel

July 28, 2022 at 9:54 am

Yes; 303 UV protectant applied every 2-4 weeks should greatly extend the life of the wrap.

• Dennis Swaney

July 28, 2022 at 10:27 am

Any idea about how much longer?

• Philip Sandiford

July 28, 2022 at 9:34 am

As always: my 2¢.

I just finished a 5k walk around San Jose, CA. (Aptera is based in Southern CA so multiply this opinion by 2x) Ninety percent of the ‘painted’ cars had sun baked, oxidized finishes: They look like poop.

I guess you have to make choices, right? Repaint a car every 10-years (*if you care what it looks like) or rewrap. If you are a car maker with a CA mindset, I can see where a wrap might make sense. The plastic will be fine as long as the either finish protects the resin from UV.

This is how I felt after my walk and seeing this post: You have a vehicle designed to bake in high UV environments for a trickle charge so works best in Arizona, California, the Sahara – not in one’s garage. Maybe paint isn’t a slam dunk.

• Curtis Cibinel

July 28, 2022 at 9:56 am

Wrap material is not that expensive. I would like to know from someone with experience how difficult the Aptera will be to wrap. If this is a project I can complete for $300 of materials in a weekend with decent results I really am not concerned.

• Tony Bonta

July 28, 2022 at 9:58 am

100%. If I could perform the wrap process myself on my Aptera, I’d feel more comfortable going with black right now and then as I re-do it in a couple years, I’m sure I’ll have other options to choose from

• Scott P

July 28, 2022 at 10:44 am

You may have personal DIY hobbyist interest to devote your time, energy, and money to learning the process and then also spending a valuable weekend re-wrapping a deteriorated vinyl wrap (and perhaps doing this multiple times over your ownership). However, I do not believe that is a realistic broader solution or interest for most people who are paying for a new vehicle on the understandable expectation that it should provide the usual benefits of a new vehicle. The real recurring higher costs for most owners will likely involve full professional re-wrap projects.

• Tony Bonta

July 28, 2022 at 9:56 am

So as I start to dig into more posts about the wrap we think is going to happen on Apteras. I’m still wondering how the wraps will weather the sun and heat. If I order a black wrap, will that still look pretty good 10 years down the road? or will it fade.

I’d love to get a black Aptera, but I’m concerned it might look like “poop” after a few years in the sun

• Dennis Swaney

July 28, 2022 at 10:26 am

Wraps pretty much deteriorate in about 5 years depending on exposure to sun (UV & heat), weather (heat, ice, hail), and environment (atmospheric pollutants). So unless there is a paint or coating that can mitigate the damage, we’ll need to replace it NLT 5 years. Oh, and I doubt the wrap will have more than a 1 year warranty.

• Dennis Swaney

July 28, 2022 at 10:31 am

And how many of these vehicles were washed and waxed every couple of weeks? Maintenance is the key, albeit paint or wrap. Curtis says 303 UV protectant should greatly extend the life of a wrap, just as wash & wax does paint.

• Philip Sandiford

July 28, 2022 at 11:38 am

@No one’s post in particular: So much wrapping around axles and anxiety sharing. I chose po-tā-to po-ta-hto bc angst from speculation on top of speculation is kinda pointless.

• kerbe2705

July 28, 2022 at 10:52 am
  • Steven G. Bueche

July 28, 2022 at 10:56 am

You can put a clear paint protecting wrap over the existing wrap. It’s best to do it when it’s fresh and not been exposed for a long time. There are plenty of articles and videos showing this procedure. Just Google:’ Can you wrap over a wrap’ The answers will come.

• kerbe2705

July 28, 2022 at 11:01 am

The two best-rated wraps in 2022 are Avery Supreme and 3M 2080 – both have long warranties and both feature advanced UV protection. As Aptera’s wrapped surfaces are primarily its sides and under-bits, longevity should be somewhat enhanced. The 3M product has a 7 year warranty for vertical surfaces and 3 years on horizontal surfaces while Avery offers a 5 year overall warranty.

• Norman Roberts

July 28, 2022 at 11:37 am

Warranty is significantly reduced or eliminated if you live in certain States such a s AZ

• Dennis Swaney

July 28, 2022 at 5:14 pm

That’s because 3M is located in Minnesota! Besides AZ, other states where they probably won’t want to warrant their product are SoCal (and maybe the Sacramento Valley in NorCal), NM, TX (or at least the western part); basically any place that gets regular triple digit temps and vast amounts of direct sunlight. Of course it is now Monsoon Season here in AZ so my days have been cloudy and rainy!

• Lane Costilow

August 1, 2022 at 4:56 pm

Plastics not directly degraded by sunlight still deteriorate in the heat, just more slowly without the sun.

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now