Crap Conditions – What do you want to see?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Crap Conditions – What do you want to see?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Crap Conditions – What do you want to see?

• Crap Conditions – What do you want to see?

• Eric Caldwell

August 10, 2022 at 9:41 am

<div>It seems like a lot of people have questions about how the Aptera will handle certain kinds of inclement driving conditions. I live in Southeast Alaska, where we have every kind of rain and snow, black ice, high winds, mountain roads, etc. I’m thinking it might be fun to pop a GoPro on the Aptera (once received) and film how it handles the worst of what nature can throw at it and the “daily driver” experience up here.
    </div>

<div>

What sorts of things would you want to know about Aptera’s performance in this climate and find interesting to watch on video?

</div>

• Bob Kirchner

August 10, 2022 at 10:04 am

I will want to see how the yoke handles abrupt countersteering after loss of traction during low-speed turns.

• George Hughes

August 10, 2022 at 10:09 am

Pulling your Aptera out of a ditch with a $30 ‘come-along’ by yourself.

Of course I’d like to video of how you got in the ditch as well 🙂 because with torque vectoring and instantaneous adjustments, you must have been doing some wild things.

• Len Nowak

August 10, 2022 at 10:14 am

It is an autocycle so…Any condition you would take an autocycle

( Personally am getting AWD but only “ think” I may need it for Monsoon season, which may be overkill.

If I had snow here I would want at least the option to engage AWD.

[ I don’t need the AWDs 0-60 in 3.5 sec. EV tires don’t last that long so need to to reduce wear]

I may get the Off Road for ~two more inches of GC.

My treks are typically at 2800-4200’ elevation with gradual inclines)

I will be testing the extreme heat and the primitive roads on the ranch/ forest and state roads we have here in the SW

All have some rain…

Many may have some snow and fall leaves on their seasonal commute. Snow being cleared in time.

I plan to start with the type of tires Aptera is supplied and change only if they suggest others for different environments…

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  Len Nowak.
    • Mark Salyzyn

August 10, 2022 at 10:36 am

AFAICT

For identical driving behavior, the more drive wheels you have, the less tire wear you will see with this EV.

Each wheel is 67hp. Nothing changes at each drive wheel, with more or less, do not equate this to an ICE (and other EV) vehicle with more hp makes you faster because power is centralized. If you accelerate in an Aptera FWD 0-60 in 5.5s, you wear out your front tires the same as when AWD 0-60 in 3.5s. Yes, the rear tire takes some wear with AWD, but you just equalized them so you can change them as a set …

Given this car will be a handful with AWD, imagine accelerating to 100mph and stopping in a span of a block, I suspect you will be less likely to use the maximum power of each wheel, than you will in an FWD. Sure, you may floor it once in a while you show off, but under normal driving I hazard a guess you will get more tire mileage, not less.

• James Gatan

August 10, 2022 at 1:05 pm

Totally agree there Mark, on the even AWD tire wear. With FWD, your single rear non driving/non steering “slave” wheel, will always have thicker threads. Imagine upon tire rotation time, one of the front tires will have a thicker thread. One of the many reasons why I pre opted for an AWD (and ORK; though I live in SoCal). Albeit since I will be retiring to MI, the AWD feature will be very useful to me. Future proofing my Aptera, for a very long term ownership use..

• Vernon Sinnott

August 10, 2022 at 7:43 pm

It will Canadians a better idea of how it will handle in our winter driving conditions, since you’ll get yours before they start shipping to Canada.

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now